PDA

View Full Version : QRZ et al HAS DEFINITE CACHÉ

WA5KRP
01-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Quote[/b] (kc7rad @ Dec. 27 2004,21:49)]While TIME magazine has previously held rather high literary stature, a recent article demands its position be re-evaluated.

In TIME's honoring of their Blog Of The Year, Lev Grossman writes "Before this year, blogs were a curiosity, a cult phenomenon, a faintly embarrassing hobby on the order of ham radio and stamp collecting." #Ham, or amateur radio has never been "embarrasing" #and the people who are members of this world-wide fraternity should be proud of thier hobby, not embarrased.

The above excerpt is from the TIME website:http://www.time.com/time/press_releases/article/0,8599,1009842,00.html #There is a full press release about "Blog Of The Year" but only TIME subsribers are allowed to view it on-line. #

If this is indeed Mr. Grossman's view, then the editors at TIME need to be informed that while ham radio is in no way embarrasing, a publication such as TIME should not allow such a statement to be published. #Their e-mail address is letters@time.com

73's
Ken Linder - KC7RAD

This thread has 31 pages of reaction from fellow hams. #In the past I've noticed that the Amateur Radio Newsline® has frequently used references to QRZ.com and once again in #the most recent broadcast dated 12/24/04:

Quote[/b] ]For those of you who never heard the term blog, its short for web log. #
That's a place in cyberspace that anyone with a computer and internet
access can post his or her views on any subject. #And writer Grossman's
remark has now taken on a life of its own on the better known ham radio
web logs. #One of the most widely read is of coarse Q-R-Zed dot com and
it is there that Grossman's remark regarding the hobby was first made
known by Ken Linder, KC7RAD, of Henderson, Nevada. #

QRZ.com has become a recognized forum within the amateur community. A SALUTE! is deserved by those who make QRZ.com available to hams. #Another SALUTE! is deserved by those who bring substance to the table. #Pay attention to what you post.......a lot more folks notice than you might imagine.

CONGRATULATIONS! #This place kicks ass.

WA5KRP
Texas

KZ9U
01-06-2005, 02:00 AM
You mean it wasn't a recognized forum before?

I recognized it..

KC7JTY
01-06-2005, 02:05 AM
I've been noticing the read numbers for years. Somewhat scarry if you ask me.

W3SY
01-06-2005, 04:46 PM
You know QRZ is the big boy on the block when puny little imitators spring up! (snicker)

N8CPA
01-06-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm convinced there's a direct relationship between QRZ's credibility and its TOS. Good job, Fred & co!

KD7WHQ
01-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Quite.
I looked at the others after being here, and well, I'm here ;)

QRZ is THE site..

ad: dxeng