PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Carr, KI4PV, silent key

WF7I
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
I know this may get bumped to the silent keys section but I wanted to post it here for starters.

Joseph Carr was a prolific electronics author. I recently picked up one of his books and thought he was still alive. A look at another publication though showed on the dedication that he had passed away in 2000. I really liked his style and approach and was sad to see that he was no longer with us. Anyone know more info about this man and what took him at the young age of 57? Thanks.

The following info I got off the ARRL website.

-----

NEWINGTON, CT, Dec 12, 2000--Amateur Radio author Joseph J. "Joe" Carr, K4IPV, of Annandale, Virginia, died November 25. He was 57. Carr reportedly died at home in his sleep.

An ARRL member, Carr had contributed hundreds of articles over the years to various publications, including QST, Popular Communications, Popular Electronics, 73, Nuts and Volts and others. At the time of his death, Carr was the "Antennas & Things" columnist for Popular Communications.

Carr was a prolific author and had written more than 100 books, including Joe Carr's Loop Antenna Handbook, Practical Antenna Handbook, Receiving Antenna Handbook, Radioscience Observing, Vol 1, and Practical Radio Frequency Test & Measurement--A Technician's Handbook.

Carr also wrote a beginner's guide as part of the manual for the Ten-Tec RX-320 PC-controlled receiver and authored numerous non-Amateur Radio related books as well.

Book publisher and author Harry Helms, AK6C, of LLH Technology Publishing knew Carr personally and professionally for more than 20 years. "It's a shame most hams only knew him from his technical books and articles, for Joe's interests ranged from American history to world politics to genealogy to biomedical research," he said. "We had innumerable lengthy conversations over the years about such topics, all laced with Joe's sharp but good-natured humor."

Helms says Carr encouraged young people to pursue science and technology careers and, for years, served as a judge at science fairs in northern Virginia.

"Joe was a first-rate technical writer and editor, a consummate professional in his craft, and a pleasure to work with," Helms said.

Carr's wife, Bonnie, survives.

ad: k1jek