PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood TS-830S mods/tips

WR2E
09-12-2004, 01:18 AM
This great radio deserves it's own topic, dontcha think?

Years ago I heard that there was a mod to enable the "tens" digit on the freq display. I'm unable to find any reference to this mod on the web. Can anyone help me locate this one ? (If it even exists, and is not a figment of my active imagination!)

thanks,
73 de Jeff

K4DPK
09-14-2004, 05:38 AM
I seem to recall looking into this several years ago, and I think I remember there being no ten-cycle digit to light up in the first place. Neither can you move everything to the left, because there aren't enough total digits. I don't have one of these in the shop right now so I can't check to be sure.

One of the reasons radios with conventional VFOs and PTOs don't have finer resolution displays is that they drift. Some drift a little, some a lot. But they all drift, and a 10-cycle digit would look like a number wheel in a one-armed bandit.

Your efforts would be better spent in locking down the drift.

E-mail me or see my web site and I'll show you how.

K4DPK

WR2E
09-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Quote[/b] (k4dpk @ Sep. 13 2004,18:38)]One of the reasons radios with conventional VFOs and PTOs don't have finer resolution displays is that they drift. #Some drift a little, some a lot. #But they all drift, and a 10-cycle digit would look like a number wheel in a one-armed bandit.

Your efforts would be better spent in locking down the drift.

E-mail me or see my web site and I'll show you how.

K4DPK
Thanks DPK!

There is a digit on the display, but looking at the schematic, it doesn't appear that it's even wired up to anything. I don't think there are any extra data lines on the decoder, so it might not be possible. Thinking back on it, I'm pretty sure that the mod I saw might have been for the TS-440 ...

You didn't post a URL, but I'm gonna look at your listing and see if it's there. This radio don't drift too badly all things considered, as long as I let it warm up for about an hour before I use it. I've also got the digital VFO, and that don't drift at all... (or VERY little)

Anyhow, thanks for the info, and I'll check your site!

73 de Jeff

K4DPK
09-15-2004, 04:42 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~k4dpk

Phil C.

N9EFJ
09-23-2004, 10:27 AM
There's not a lot on this rig or at least I failed to find any on the web. I really enjoy operating the 830.

Made an AM mod on mine. The TS-830M had AM. The schematic for an AM version is in the service manual. For AM modulation I made a 1 stage mixer of the carrier and audio. Works OK for about 25 watts. I used the CW narrow position on the MODE switch. The mod requires some difficulty in wiring up the mode switch.

More here:My Website (http://www.n9efj.net)

Carl

ad: AC6LA-1