PDA

View Full Version : Radio Shack HTX-404

KC2KQH
09-05-2004, 01:32 AM
I have the ability to buy a Radio Shack HTX-404. Yes, I work at RS. We have 3 left in stock still, and I was wondering if that is a decent radio. I have a VX-150 for 2m, but would like a 440 radio also. The price is pretty high, even on clearance, but I am going to talk to the managers and the owner about reducing it, whether I choose to get it or not, and I have already mentioned that it is pretty high for a radio like this one. I have the radio signed out to try it this weekend, and would like to know what others think of it as well.
Thanks, Ryan -KC2KQH

N5LRZ
09-05-2004, 03:41 AM
That depends....

Rad Shack rigs are not known for their defects when looking at the big picture. HOWEVER they are of equal reputation notable for their lack of adaptability. Meaning they do not modify easily.

SO if you want a broad receive with good modifacation potential then a Rad Shack rig is not for you. If you are looking for a rig to operate out of the box/as is then they probably will do as well as any other rig.

W5MEJ
09-05-2004, 03:44 AM
I'm really surprised to hear that RS has any of those still in stock anywhere! #I own one, and an HTX-202. #I bought both of them about 12 years ago, and both are still going strong. #They are solid little radios, in my opinion. #As i'm sure you know, they are bulky by modern standards, don't have very many memories, and aren't capable of any "extended receive" like most of the modern vhf/uhf radios. #I actually find that an advantage, though. #They don't seem to have the problem with "intermod" type interference that a lot of the modern broad-band handhelds have.

If you can get them down to a reasonable price, i'd say go for it. #Whatever price they are offering you, show them the low prices of some of the modern single band handhelds and remind them that the HTX-404 is a 15 year old relic...then buy all three of them!

Chuck

KC2KQH
09-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was planning to show them some of the modern radio's costs. The HTX-202? That being the 2 meter mobile if my memory serves, we have one of them left too, only I have yet to find the box to that anywhere. I was going to try that one out too, but without the box, I will have to make my own wiring harness up, no biggie though. These things have been in there as long as I can remember.
-Ryan, KC2KQH

KA9VQF
09-05-2004, 09:21 AM
The 202 is a handheld model. There was a HTX-100 10M mobile that came out about the same time. I have a HTX-214 2M rig but it has extended receive. Not sure if it came that way or was modified cuz I got it used.

K7DLX
09-06-2004, 02:01 AM
The HTX-202 and 404 are hybrids of both Icom and Maxon radios. It's based on the Icom IC-02/03/04 AT series, built with Icom and Maxon components. Tandy added several improvements to the units, such as encode/decode, additional memories, and a full width LCD display.

Surprisingly, it's one of the most durable and well constructed units in the industry.

If you can grab a 404 for a good price, I recommend the unit very highly.

KC2KQH
09-06-2004, 03:17 AM
Ok, cool. My next logical question would have to be what would you consider a fair price for one, brand new, in box, with the antenna, strap, ni-cd battery, charger, AA battery block, instruction manual...the works? Thanks in advance.
-Ryan KC2KQH

KC2KQH
09-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Any suggestions?

K7DLX
09-07-2004, 02:44 AM
There's a used one on E-bay (needs a new battery) that's going for $52.00.

Therefore, using my incredible powers of deductive reasoning (along with a couple of years managing a pawn shop), I feel you should offer $65.00.

It's been sitting on the shelf for quite a while, so the battery may be old and weak, and it's a discontinued outdated model, and it's not modifiable.

Those are your selling points to get it for that price. You don't have to mention the strong points I mentioned earlier.

KC2KQH
09-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Ok, thank you for the general idea for a price and the selling points for my offer. I was off yesterday, but work today, so I will let you know how I make out with this some time tonight.
Thanks again
-Ryan KC2KQH

N9ZXK
09-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Just adding my 2 cents worth. I got my 404 when the store here was selling them off for 99 bucks new. By the way if you can get all of them and you want to seel one keep me in mind... thanks

KC8TUW
09-17-2004, 04:19 PM
How do you "seel" one...thought that sounded funny when I read it! #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I'm looking for HTX-252's that are out there; new in boxes!

ad: Mircules-1