PDA

View Full Version : GAP TiTAN DX

DL9EO
04-18-2004, 08:26 PM
HI everybody,
I have not been active for about 12 years, but now I'm back on Amateur-Radio. I started with a Multiband-GP for all HF-Bands without coils and traps. It is resonant on 20 mtrs and has to be matched on all other bands. Although I have made some DX I am not really satisfied with this antenna because it takes up a lot of noise an qrm even on the upper bands. Now I #plan to buy a GAP TITAN DX. Can anybody who has this vertical tell me about his experiences ?

73 de DL9EO, Roland (nick 'Ron&#39http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

W8KPH
04-19-2004, 06:13 PM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Hi and sorry I didn't see your post until today.... http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

I bought a used Titan DX last year from a fellow ham here in the Buckeye State.
As the name implies, it is truly a DX antenna. I'm not on nearly as much as I'd like to be, BUT.......
I've been very pleased with it's performance. I've talked with Germany, Lithuania and others in Europe like they're next door, South America and all over the Caribbean, Six Land, and many Provinces in Canada with ease. I've used all the bands available on the Titan with the exception of 30m (I'm still not that good with CW, HiHi ! ) and I've been VERY pleased with the performance. Remember, on 80, you've only got a window of 100khz, your choice.

For what I paid for it, or even if a person was to buy one new from Gap, it's a very worthwhile investment for the casual ham.
I say casual because if you're thinking about getting into some serious contesting, look at a Yagi. Remember, the Gap products are omnidirectional. If you try to work a weak station and another has their beam (Yagi) pointed in your direction, you're going to really knock the socks off the Yagi station.
Another item worth thinking about is the take-off angle.
Just this past weekend, Michigan had their QSO party. I tried calling on my Titan, but the signal shot right over their bow. Switching to my dipole got me a 5-9 with a 20 over signal on the first attempt.
So, if you want to work DX and are a 'casual' ham like myself, you can't go wrong with a Gap Tital DX. Oh, they're good for nets too where you might have stations spread all over several States.

Hope this helps!

W8KPH #http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

PS - I use my Titan DX with an Icom 706MKIIG, no amp, 100W out if that helps.

W8KPH
04-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey Roland, get that Titan DX up and tuned then drop me an email for a sked, would love to hear another Titan DX'er on the air!!

W8KPH

NA9DS
04-19-2004, 07:47 PM
There is a GAP antenna group on Yahoo. May want to check it out. I have used a Titan for a few years and am happy with it. May not be the "best" available (whatever the best is) but if I can hear them, I can work them. What else can I ask for..
Doug
KC9AYS

W5HTW
04-19-2004, 08:24 PM
I've had one up for seven years or a little more.

Plus:
Works well, low SWR on all bands. Even works on six meters!

No tune, no muss, no fuss, as they say. Put it up and get on the air. Mine is mounted three feet above the ground (sandy desert) on a pipe.

The antenna is basically a vertical dipole, center fed. Forty meters is tuned by adjusting the wire counterpoise. Except for 40 and 80, it covers all bands completely (and except for 60 meters.)

Minus:

If you have wind, it MUST be strongly guyed. I have found the metal screws that hold it together tend to rip out the threads and work loose. That causes noise in the antenna and a lot of flipping around. Guy it FIRMLY, so it can't swing around at all.

Take it down annually and tighten every thing. I suggest stainless screw-type hose clamps at every joint.

Good operating antenna, quick no-tune band change, across the HF spectrum except for 60 meters. I would buy another one, and that in itself is a good recommendation. Mine is getting old but I can't afford another one right now!

Overall a good antenna. Can be mounted at ground level, on the roof of your house, on a tower, (top, not side) as it has its own counterpoise and radials are not necessary.

GAP is very good about supporting their product, too!

Ed

W8JI
04-20-2004, 09:40 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DL9EO @ April 18 2004,13:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HI everybody,
I have not been active for about 12 years, but now I&#39;m back on Amateur-Radio. I started with a Multiband-GP for all HF-Bands without coils and traps. It is resonant on 20 mtrs and has to be matched on all other bands. Although I have made some DX I am not really satisfied with this antenna because it takes up a lot of noise an qrm even on the upper bands. Now I #plan to buy a GAP TITAN DX. Can anybody who has this vertical tell me about his experiences ?

73 de DL9EO, Roland (nick &#39;Ron&#39http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ron,

I tested one of them in the early or mid 90&#39;s as part of a FS measurement evaluation comparing antennas for a manufacturer. The data I measured closely agreed with QST reviews and a vertical antenna comparison done by Ward Silver and K7LXC.

The bottom line is this.

The Gap will be no better than your present antenna. It has high common mode currents on the feeder and poor low band performance. It is OK on higher bands, but not exceptional.

(It doesn&#39;t have trap, but it has other things that have even more loss. Traps are really not as lossy as people claim.)

The high common mode feeder currents allow signal ingress or conduction via the feeder, so shack noise can more easily find it&#39;s way to the antenna. That might cause a problem.

Frankly you would be better off using a trap vertical with a good radial system, or a dipole of some type. You can probably search and find some articles, or buy K7LXC book about Vertical comparisons.

73 Tom

NF6E
08-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Ron,

Sorry I didn&#39;t run across your post until 4 months after you posted. #You might have already made your decision. #But perhaps you have not, so I&#39;ll go ahead and add my comments.

I&#39;ve used a GAP Titan for almost a full year now and it works quite well. #I spent many months researching other multi-band antennas before deciding on the Titan.

I was looking for a no-tune multi-band antenna, perferably without traps, that had to cover 30 meters. #The Titan won me over because it had all this, plus it did not require ground radials. #I don&#39;t have the yard space for a decent ground radial system.

Anyone who expects an antenna like this to work like a Yagi is expecting too much, but in a situation where you want an antenna that takes up little space (relative to a tower &amp; beam or a 120&#39; dipole) and needs little to no tuning for all-band performance, it&#39;s a winner.

I&#39;ve been able to bust pile-ups with 100w using the Titan. #I&#39;d be a liar if I said I worked all the DX I could hear, but I work enough of it to be satisfied. #I hang out on 30m and the lower end of 40m mostly. #I tuned the 40m counterpoise to assure resonance at the lowest end of the band possible.

Assembly is so-so. #It&#39;s not so much difficult as it is a bit confusing, as the instructions are less than point-by-point. #But even so, it only took me a couple of easy hours to put it together. #I needed help putting it up however. #The antenna long and gangly and I&#39;m small and compact.

One thing - guy it&#33; Whether you mount it on the ground or on a roof tripod or whatever - guy it.

Once put together, SWR measured just about as advertised. #About 1.5:1 average across all bands and about 120 KHz of bandwidth on 75m.

Please feel free to check out our Yahoo group for all GAP antennas. #The Titan seems to be the most popular of them all.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GapAntennas

Good luck&#33;
Jason NF6E

08-03-2004, 10:53 AM
I bought a GAP Titan from a neighbor just a couple months ago. It works okay. It works better than my Windom (which is only up about 30 feet).

I called the manufacturer yesterday. Most of the Titans available through places like AES are set for the extreme top 100 KHz on 80 meters. I went through the manual carefully and couldn&#39;t find any way to tune any band except 40 meters (which is done my manipulating the length of the counterpoise). The factory said that&#39;s exactly correct. The tuning rods are &quot;fixed.&quot; They did that on purpose. The rep said so many people got the things too far out of whack and when they called for help there was no &quot;reference frame.&quot;

The rods *can* be manipulated, but the manual doesn&#39;t tell you how. You can call GAP and they&#39;ll talk you through it. I ordered a cap from them so I can retune the 80 meter section. The bad news is that my options for the low end of the band are to have the center freq at 3.5 or 3.6 MHz. I chose the 3.5 MHz center freq. The great majority of the DX on 80 meter cw is going to be well below 3.55 anyway.

For some reason I have to use a tuner on 12m. Since that band is going to be moderately dead for several years, that&#39;s no big deal. The Titan has been pretty awesome on 30 meters. I&#39;ve worked Japan several times already from central Florida.

If you need to re-locate, modify, move the antenna around, etc., get some help. I got it up the first time by myself. When I relocated it a week ago it went a lot better with someone on the other end&#33;

ad: Sussex-1