PDA

View Full Version : RFI Complaints and City Council Involvement

N8WP
02-03-2002, 04:46 PM
From the ARRL...

RFI COMPLAINTS, CITY COUNCIL INVOLVEMENT FRUSTRATE MICHIGAN AMATEUR

Rob Underwood, W8YRB, says RFI complaints have him at his wit's end. The Wyoming, Michigan, ARRL member says his efforts to resolve some neighbors' complaints of stubborn interference are at an impasse. To add to his
frustration, the Wyoming City Council now has asked the FCC to step in, and the situation has erupted into a media spectacle that, he says, hasn't done much for ham radio's image.

The FCC's position with respect to RFI to consumer devices is that the consumer device--telephone, stereo, TV or other appliance--most often is to blame, and that consumers need to deal with appliance manufacturers.

Underwood says he's gone the extra mile to resolve interference complaints, but one neighbor a half block away has become especially intractable, pinning blame for interference to her telephone and touch lamp squarely on him. The woman ultimately complained to the city council, which met January 21 and unanimously agreed to contact the FCC.

Underwood said city council members "threw their hands in the air, and most of them said it was my station that needed to be 'filtered' and didn't want to hear what my solutions were." Twenty one amateurs reportedly attended the council meeting on Underwood's behalf, and one Council member praised Underwood's attempts to assist and to educate everyone.

Underwood said, however, that several other neighbors turned up at the session with new RFI complaints he hadn't heard before. He's volunteered to assist them. Underwood says media coverage has focused on the neighbors' complaints rather than on his efforts to respond to them.

The neighbor's touch lamp seems especially susceptible to RFI and even flickers when he keys his 100-W mobile transmitter while driving by her house, Underwood said. Although he installed some ferrite chokes on the lamp's power cord, the problem persisted. The neighbor has refused further offers of help.

Underwood reports that his own home is essentially free of RFI problems, with the exception of his cordless telephones when he runs his amplifier. He said he installed RF chokes on telephone equipment for his immediate neighbors who had complained of problems, and they have not reported any interference since.

Underwood has the full support of ARRL Michigan Section Manager Dick Mondro, W8FQT, who noted that the FCC Detroit Field Office was also aware of the problem and has been cooperating in resolving the issue.

ARRL provides information and resources to deal with RFI problems on the ARRL Web site's RFI pages (http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfigen.html).

WK4WK
02-03-2002, 04:57 PM
Is it me or doesn't those $12 cordless phones and lamps have a decal affixed to them stating they must accept any interference?

K1XS
02-03-2002, 06:38 PM
A label may state that the consumer has to accept interference, it does not mean that they will accept it quitely. It's easier for them to blame the ham operator and complain to the city council, FCC, and their congressman. After spending 20 or 30 dollars on a cordless phone, they don't want to hear that it is a poorly designed piece of junk that gets wiped out by nearby transmitters.

It looks like W8YRB went above and beyond what is required to fix the neighbors problems.

Did you read the story of the group in California that claim they are sensitive to radio frequencies and are trying to use that to stop cell phone towers? How long before someone goes to a city council meeting and claims the ham down the street is causing shortness of breath or other medical problems by being on the air?

W9JCM
02-03-2002, 09:04 PM
I am sure you will see the FCC back the Operator. Sounds like another case of the MEDIA druming up trouble as usual. I think this ham has went above what he really has to do. The ARRL should step in too on his behalf. Where are these guys when you need them?

k7vvv
02-03-2002, 09:13 PM
K1XS mentioned Californians trying to stop all cellphone towers.

Regarding paranoia about cellphone tower radiation, the funny thing is, these things operate with very LOW power, especially compared to other common sources of RF in the community. Of course this is one of the principles of cellular telephone service; that by operating very low power over a small area, the same frequencies can be reused a short distance away with a different set of local users temporarily in that cell.

I have a funny anecdote. To the south of Seattle there is a newage cult led by a woman named JZ Knight who "channels" a "35,000 year old warrior spirit" she calls "Ramtha". She is quite wealthy because of the generosity of her followers, and is well known because of a number of celebrity adherents who have come and gone over the years, including Shirley MacLaine.

I have a friend who works for the county where the cult is located, and told me an interesting anecdote.

The county was holding a hearing on a cellphone tower siting, and a number of people concerned about radiation from the tower showed up at the hearing to oppose it. Of course the cellphone carrier was there to explain that the tower used very low power, and was needed to serve the wireless phone users in the community.

The actress Linda Evans (remember The Big Valley? TV western in the 1960s?) who is a JZ Knight follower and lives in the area showed up to oppose the tower, expressing fear of the health effects of cellphone signal radiation in her testimony.

Later outside the hearing (my friend swears he saw this) Linda was seen talking on her handheld cellphone, which of course was held against her head. Think of your average PCS phone, operating around 2.2 GHz, I think.

Think about the inverse square law regarding RF fields and how at half the distance, the effect is squared. Of course we cannot expect Linda to know this. My friend commented that thinking of the inverse square law, the unknown exposure to radiation that Linda gets from JZ Knight must be considerable, since Knight claims to use some unknown medium for communication across not only space, but time. It must take a hell of a signal to cross 35,000 years.

K7VVV

k7vvv
02-03-2002, 09:22 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W9JCM @ Feb. 03 2002,07:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am sure you will see the FCC back the Operator. Sounds like another case of the MEDIA druming up trouble as usual. I think this ham has went above what he really has to do. The ARRL should step in too on his behalf. Where are these guys when you need them?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I hope the FCC will back the ham. But you never know. There is always the threat of Quiet Hours. If other avenues of eliminating interference are inefective, the FCC may impose quiet hours during which no operation is allowed. I think this has been done, for instance, even though the ham is transmitting a clean signal, but preventing him from operating during so-called prime time TV viewing.

Regarding the ARRL, and the wish that "The ARRL should step in too on his behalf. Where are these guys when you need them?", what would you propose that the league do? They can offer him resources such as information for his lawyer and for the town on the law and on legal strategy, but the ARRL doesn&#39;t have the money to legally defend hams who have neighbor problems.

K7VVV

N8ARY
02-03-2002, 11:49 PM
http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

I saw part of the news broadcast and the media actually used footage from previous field days to illustrate the story.

The "blurb" on WZZM&#39;s website started, "This man is an electrical engineer by day, but at night he slips into his basement, into a world of dots and dashes." Talk about Batman-like hype.

To The Ham Cave, everyone&#33;&#33;&#33;

KC8FWD
02-04-2002, 12:04 AM
I had a problem here with my Neighbors.I had put a Cushcraft 17B2 up and for 2 days I had a few neighbors see it go up.I was waiting for my FT-100d to come in from AES and they were complaining.So I left it up and never used it but I did turn it to make them think that I was but no radio was hooked to it and they complained.So a week later I took it down and the complaining stopped.I told them what I did and they said I was a liar so it goes to show that some neighbors just think the antenna is a eyesore and don&#39;t want it up.I have it up now and use it but no problems since I called there bluff later and 73&#39;s de Mike KC8FWD

N8ARY
02-04-2002, 12:04 AM
When I get interference from the teen-ager next door with the same brand of cordless phone as mine, I don&#39;t go whining to the City Council. I simply go to my "hard-wired" phone. I get plenty of interference from other wireless users on my cell phone, too. What about the harmful interference I get when I try to use FRS radios and some j****ss on the same channel decides to butt in?

I think this is a bunch of people who have a need to be a victim of something and have nothing else to B*#CH about. When they found out they could get on TV, they played it up even more.

It sounds to me like the 20 or so rednecks who get on TV describing what the tornado sounded like, even if they didn&#39;t see or hear anything.

KC9ALV
02-04-2002, 03:01 AM
At least this guy&#39;s neighbors are content to just complain... #Back in CB days, one of my dad&#39;s buddies put up a large antenna, but didn&#39;t have a radio connected to it yet. #(I forget what the antenna was, I think it was a quad of some sort) Anyway, as soon as it went up, the neighbors started complaining and called the police, etc. #When told he didn&#39;t even have a radio, they got so mad they went into his back yard, cut the coax and pulled his tower down with a pickup truck. #When he came outside to complain, they beat the hell out of him. (Hell hath no fury like rednecks scorned&#33http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif He was in the hospital for almost a week. #We later learned that they thought that the man was an FBI agent or something, because the police were "hiding" his radio.

KD7NBH
02-04-2002, 06:46 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K1XS @ Feb. 03 2002,10:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you read the story of the group in California that claim they are sensitive to radio frequencies and are trying to use that to stop cell phone towers? #How long before someone goes to a city council meeting and claims the ham down the street is causing shortness of breath or other medical problems by being on the air?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
This may not be as farfetched as you think. The lady I board my dog with was sued by a neighbor that complained the excessive barking caused her to get diabetes and glaucoma. It made it all the way to a jury&#33;

02-04-2002, 08:53 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K1XS @ Feb. 03 2002,04:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">#

Did you read the story of the group in California that claim they are sensitive to radio frequencies and are trying to use that to stop cell phone towers? #How long before someone goes to a city council meeting and claims the ham down the street is causing shortness of breath or other medical problems by being on the air?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Where I live is rather rural, and we&#39;ve had people call and ask if our township board has any plans to approve any new cell towers, seems there&#39;s an area free of them here...and a few of them are looking to move.
Problem is, in no way can the board promise that there will never be another cell tower put up.

NS1O
02-04-2002, 09:22 PM
It&#39;s not serprising that we have people that complain like that, it seems that most just want to control what someone else is doing, look at the gun issues? People seem to think that they know what is going on because the media tells them or it feels good but they don&#39;t have a any idea at all. I had a instance similer to yours with RFI many years ago (1975) with a TV (1963) where the neighbor said that I was interfering with it even when I wasn&#39;t home and the radio wasn&#39;t working (bad tube, remember them) they never said a word to me just complained to the FCC, I got a pink slip asking what was up when I told them they just about laughed at them. I did offer to try and find the cause but was turned down ( they didn&#39;t want my kind in their house) After that the same neighbor accused me of shooting at their house with a high powered rifle when the cops got here all I asked was do you see any holes in their house the cop said no and checked the gun to see if it been fired it had not been fired for two weeks. Of course the same neighbor also said that my house was on their land when they had first moved in even though this house had been here for 30 years and 10 years before theirs was even built, I guess the moral of this story is know matter what theirs always people out their that have nothing better to do then to make other people miserable&#33;&#33; Thank God that they moved after two years&#33;&#33; I wonder if it&#39;s the same people HI HI. I wish people would get the facts and not from the media before they complain..

Good luck to you and 73&#33;
NS1O Al

WW1ME
02-04-2002, 09:36 PM
Regarding the ARRL&#39;s role in W8YRB&#39;s RFI problems. SO glad you asked us. Please rest assured that the ARRL field (section officials, as noted in the story) and HQ staff members have offered assistance to Rob Underwood in dealing with his RFI difficulties. The Web site story that appeared earlier was a bit more specific in this regard www.arrl.org/news/stories/2002/01/28/1/. ARRL Web site (http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2002/01/28/1/)

KC9AXZ
02-05-2002, 10:32 AM
As a new HAM and ex CB&#39;er I feel your pain. I have a neighbor who complains also. I know my problem is my antennas. The neighbor doesn&#39;t like my antenna systems (another neighbor relayed the message). I few years ago my neighbor accused me of messing with his TV. He went so far as to "pin" my coax. I nicely told him it was not me. I also explaned that his new "big screen" TV was built for s***. He wanted nothing to do with my explanation. Soon he realized I was working during the times he accused me of messing up his TV. The funny thing is I left the CB antenna up with the "pinned" coax (I didn&#39;t use it anyway). I put up my new antennas with a different coax run. He hasn&#39;t complaned since. In the mean time the output of my other radios are 10 times more power than my legal CB radios (now sold).

KB9AXZ

KD2SJ
02-06-2002, 12:00 AM
The guy did what he thought was in the best interests of ham radio, "try to help the neighbor".
Unfortunately, he did not act in his best interest.By trying to "fix" their unfixable/unuseable crappy phones,he led these folks to believe that he was indeed the problem and not their phones.
The moral: "If you want to make an enemy, help him"
Most non hams have little or no understanding of our hobby.And sometimes when we try to reach out to them,they think we are trying to pull one over on them.
In my humble opinion , if someone complains about my station, I won&#39;t waste my time explaining to them why the problem is theirs and not mine.Just let them whine.And if they really want to spend time and money littigating over a poor quality consumer device , let them.

73 kd2sj

KF4LNE
02-06-2002, 12:44 PM
Is it legal to use the kind of power needed to communicate over 35,000 years? If so where can i get gear to do it? http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

02-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Bogus complaints from some neighbors are not at unusual.

I recently moved into a new house. The second week after I moved in, I put up several dipoles, of which the 80M and 40M were very visible.

One afternoon around 6:30PM, my next door neighbor knocked on my door complaining that I was interfering with her TV. She told me that she had arrived home at around 5:45 and her TV was going on and off by itself and that she was sure that it was my "CB" that was responsible. Incidentally, I live alone.

It just so happened that I had a receipt from a Texaco gas station at which I has just filled up. The station was about 15 miles from my house. The time shown on the receipt placed me at the gas station at the same time she said I was interfereing with her TV.

Upon showing her that it couldn&#39;t possibly have been me, she became very angry and said "you&#39;re lieing, it was you, and you know it." At that point, I asked her to wait at the door for a moment and I got the FCCs mailing address for her and told her she should complain.

I don&#39;t know if she ever did write them, but I never heard another word from her nor from the FCC.

BTW, the last time I tried to speak to her, several weeks later, she flipped me the "bird". I just smiled and shook my head.

Ed
NC5S

WA2DAX
02-07-2002, 03:52 AM
[B]
Isn&#39;t it wonderful that politicians have learned to "address" the squeaky wheel and not the problems at hand. While I can appreciate their attempt as a governing body to look into a problem, I have a real problem with them acting without full research and full review. Otherwise they may have been more neutral in their approach. Perhaps (like many politicians today) their concerns are not in problem solving or giving facts but worrying about their little behinds getting re-elected to again not do the job they are supposed to. Perhaps it is time (if I get the correct drift from this story, this was done) to give them information they need to investigate further or avenues to approach, and, when not followed, sue their damn asses off, take their houses away and hold them accountable for what they were SUPPOSED to be doing rather than mollycoddling people in an effort to show what "good guys" they are in order to be re-elected to office.
Maybe it&#39;s me, but in today&#39;s world there is no personal blame...it is always the other person&#39;s fault or some other asinine reason...everything but what the root cause is. Society has placated whiners way too long.
Maybe they should be thankful "Tony Soprano" is not a ham&#33; http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

KB9YCO
02-07-2002, 10:45 PM
I am all for responsible non-intrusive transmitting but to hope that the FCC will stand behind every legal operator is unfortunately naive.If you recall it was the FCC that stopped requiring manufacturers of components from having the proper filtration in said devices.All as a result of big corporation,big lobby pressure I&#39;m sure.I have also gone through the neighbor complaint game and all of the problems were on the neighbor&#39;s equipment.They refused any attempt to have explained to them the logistics of the problem and refused any attempt to fix the problem on their end.Yet such a stink was raised over it our local municipality tried to claim(incorrectly , the ordininance they sited was in regards to commercial towers only)that our tower was too big for local ordinance.Being as I was a renter I was forced to reduce the tower size(of course bringing the antenna closer to average TV antenna heights and closer to houses)because I couldn&#39;t apply for the illegedly needed permits and my landlord just wanted the problem to go away and didn&#39;t want to sign any permits.I even had the neighbor directly across the street defend us and tell people the majority of interference was when I wasn&#39;t even home during the day , but to no avail.I also never gave any interference to the equipment in my own house and no one could ever officially verify that it was me or my call sign they heard over their equipment.Just the fact that there was a large tower by my house was enough for them , as the most annoying neighbor told me.Let this be a reminder that if we as hams do not make as much of a stink about the daily loss of our rights as our not so neighborly neighbors do the FCC will do nothing but appease the people making the most noise.We have been stereotyped in the media with illegal operators for too long&#33;We have as much right to transmit a signal as they do to receive one, especially as federally licensed amateurs.Get people involved and educated and don&#39;t let this constant erosion of our rights in society continue&#33;

KB9YFI
02-07-2002, 11:42 PM
There is safety in numbers. #Unfortunately many HF operators do not feel that they &#39;need&#39; numbers. #The number of General and Extra class hams could be much higher if the CW requirement were eliminated. #I&#39;ve been trying to learn CW for a year now and it keeps eluding me. #I&#39;ve pretty much decided to put it on the back burner. #I&#39;m happy on VHF and UHF anyway. #The hell with your HF problems I say. #Why should we care? I&#39;ve never had anyone complain about my station in the neighborhood. #Nobody sees my itty-bitty Ringo- not like a huge dipole. #Why should I go out of my way to spend any of my tight-budgeted time going to city-council meetings for you and lending support? #Think about it.

KB9YFI
02-08-2002, 12:33 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (radio123us @ Feb. 07 2002,10:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For KB9YFI...these postings are about RFI, not CW..
please stay on the subject....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The subject is HF RF getting into other people&#39;s equipment. The FCC says it&#39;s the responsibility of those other people to deal with and not the Amateurs. Maybe that will change. Maybe the proliferation of small, handheld electronic devices will nessessitate a change. Perhaps to facilitate the advancement of technology in our culture the rules have to be changed? I say we eliminate the HF bands to solve this problem. No sweat off my back. I think I&#39;ll write a letter to my representatives and tell them all about it. I think they should know there is a real solution to this problem.

Don&#39;t want a dialog? Hows that for a dialog? This is where the problem is. You can ignore the CW problem long enough until one day it becomes your problem too.

I&#39;m not serious here about the above comments personally but in reality that problem will become serious if the amateur community continues to shrink relative to the rest of the community.

WA4MJF
02-08-2002, 01:01 PM
There is no CW problem, except in your head&#33;

I learned many moons ago, that if someone wants somethin&#39; badly enough they&#39;ll work and sacrifice &#39;til
they get it.

One of society&#39;s biggest problems was summed up nicely by Senator Dole. He said " We now have a generation, that
never served, never sacrificed and never grew up".

I seriously doubt that the FCC will subordinate licensed services to un licensed services.

BTW, any radio frequency can cause RFI not just HF.

73 de Ronnie

KE4PJW
02-08-2002, 08:25 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KB9YFI @ Feb. 07 2002,22:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The subject is HF RF getting into other people&#39;s equipment. The FCC says it&#39;s the responsibility of those other people to deal with and not the Amateurs. Maybe that will change. Maybe the proliferation of small, handheld electronic devices will nessessitate a change. Perhaps to facilitate the advancement of technology in our culture the rules have to be changed? I say we eliminate the HF bands to solve this problem. No sweat off my back. I think I&#39;ll write a letter to my representatives and tell them all about it. I think they should know there is a real solution to this problem.

Don&#39;t want a dialog? Hows that for a dialog? This is where the problem is. You can ignore the CW problem long enough until one day it becomes your problem too.

I&#39;m not serious here about the above comments personally but in reality that problem will become serious if the amateur community continues to shrink relative to the rest of the community.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Please argue the elimination of CW requirement on the merits that it need not be required for proper station operation.

This thread is about RFI. It has nothing to do with HF/VHF/UHF/CW/SSB or license classes. I want the requirement dropped too, but your going about it the wrong way by dragging it into this thread.

KB9YFI
02-09-2002, 02:14 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4pjw @ Feb. 08 2002,13:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This thread is about RFI. It has nothing to do with HF/VHF/UHF/CW/SSB or license classes. I want the requirement dropped too, but your going about it the wrong way by dragging it into this thread.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The subject is RFI. #We all know the causes of it and the solutions as well. #In the end it is a public-relations problem like RadioMercenary said above. #Preaching RFI here is like preaching to the choir. #I don&#39;t think any Ham is going to come down on the wrong side of this one. #

What we do need to work on is our public-relation problems. #Non-hams get upset when they get RFI regardless of who&#39;s fault it is- We lose. #Many non-hams get upset when they see towers that they feel are eye-sores- We loose again. #The only way to end-round this is to have enough pull in the governement to stand up for our rights and to educate the public. #This a huge job and too much for the meager number of Hams today. #

Too many times I have heard that our hobby is a "privelage" but that is just being stupid. #Privelages can get taken away at the drop of a hat. #We need more amateurs and more pro-amateur voters on our side to keep bad legislation off the books. #We also need to keep active in public-service events to create and maintain a NEED for our services. #Without these two things our hobby is doomed. #It might not be tomorrow or even in 20 years but in the long-term it is doomed. #Wrap yoursleves up in a blanket of superiority and snobbishness and someday when you stick your head out you will see somebody turned out the lights. #

I have seen this happen in many places in our society. #The story plays the same for the motorized off-road users, firearm hobbiests and sports-car enthusiasts to name a few. #Once a group reaches a certian small percentage of the community and becomes isolated, little-known, and is percieved as a threat in some way to the general populace negative things begin to happen. #It happens slowly at first, I admit, but the pendulum is swinging. #If we don&#39;t stop it now or re-direct it there will be no stopping it later.

I feel that the CW barrier is going to kill this hobby. #Many disagree. #I think it is a central issue to the problems we are facing. #Those that want the CW dialog ended are those that just want to see the continuation of the status quo. #Well that is running us into the ground. #Hopefully new leadership will allow us to avoid that crash and allow for some fresh blood to infuse the hobby/service before it&#39;s too late.

WA0KNP
02-09-2002, 02:23 AM
Leave the amplifier off and the RFI problem will apparently not exist. Barefoot and QRP operation is more fun anyway&#33; And please don&#39;t tell me I "just don&#39;t understand the need for high power" as people have done before when I suggested shutting off the amp...
I am the engineer and owner of a 25kw FM station..I understand the need for power....just NOT in ham radio operation.

k0bkl
02-09-2002, 07:44 PM
I started ham radio in Burlington, Iowa, and the problem with rfi I had was that reception in the 50&#39;s and 60&#39;s was spotty or non-existant at times. I got blamed for it all&#33;
A local antenna manufacturer put out antenna amps that would oscillate in the presence of any strong signal, ham or not, and the local radio station was not helpful either, blaming us poor hams for the problem. Soon, the station restored it&#39;s fm operation after many years silent, and suddenly things changed&#33; Those same antenna devices that were causing us problems simply went nuts and the manufacturer had to recall them, even paying bounties to recover them&#33; I laughed myself sick&#33;

K5UJ
02-12-2002, 12:11 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WA0KNP @ Feb. 08 2002,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Leave the amplifier off and the RFI problem will apparently not exist. #Barefoot and QRP operation is more fun anyway&#33; #And please don&#39;t tell me I "just don&#39;t understand the need for high power" as people have done before when I suggested shutting off the amp...
I am the engineer and owner of a 25kw FM station..I understand the need for power....just NOT in ham radio operation.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Actually there was no mention of any QRO operating in the original post. #In fact, the only mention of a power level was a 100 watt mobile description. #While an amplifier may not usually be necessary, there are times when high power is needed. #Running transoceanic phone patches is one case that comes to mind. #But the real issue here regarding a ham&#39;s obligation isn&#39;t really power level; it&#39;s the importance of putting out a clean signal. #If a ham&#39;s signal is clean, then the only problem can be fundamental frequency overload at the consumer&#39;s equipment which is a problem for the consumer electronics user. #Nevertheless it might be prudent for hams facing RFI problems to confine their high power operating (if their sigs are clean) to odd times (late evening/early morning) until the complainants can be shown that the transmitting station is not defective, or some other reasonable good faith attempt can be made to resolve the conflict.

N8ARY
02-12-2002, 08:10 PM
http://www.wzzm13.com/searchc....id=1493 (http://www.wzzm13.com/searchcurrentdefault.asp?cmd=view&articleid=1493)

W1VET
02-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Ok I have a good one. I use uo-14 and one day (Sunday 9am) I was talking on the bird and as I moved the ant to the SW I started to hear something, it was the church down the road. Well come to find out they use a wireless mic and you know it I was getting into there system also. Tuesday comes and I had a knock on the door it was the person next door saying that I was going into the system at the church and also her sound system. Well I took a walk over to the church and told them what was happening and they said they understand and they would change the Mic systems Freq, I said don&#39;t I will not use the radio on the Sats until mass was over and all went well till the person next door came by again and said I shouldn&#39;t be talking when she had her music on ( LOL ), I told her I would try to help and when I was over there I saw that she had EVERY ROOM wired with speaker wire and a speaker in every room. Well I did the best I could but that just didn&#39;t help with all the ants ( speaker wire) in the house and 15 Cores later and she still isn&#39;t happy and that cost me over &#036;120.00. Note I have lived here for 2 years with out any trouble and now she is starting to get on my nerves. Even after I told her she has all this wire and what it was doing she don&#39;t care and then the kicker, next thing she says is this must be the reason I am getting headaches all the time.. I GIVE UP

W1VET Ron http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif

kc2ftn
02-22-2002, 03:55 AM
I will go out on a limb, and say what EVERYONE else is thinking... to HELL with the neighbors&#33; If a radio amateur is running a legal set-up, and has gone out of his way to pacify finicky neighbors, I think he has done MORE than enough to rectify the situation. Maybe the NEIGHBORS should bone-up on Part 15 of the FCC rules&#33;
And believe you/me....I&#39;d be on the phone with the City Council the next time the &#39;good neighbor&#39; fires-up their lawn mower at 7http://www.qrz.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif0am.

Mike KC2FTN

KC3VO
03-13-2002, 10:37 AM
RFI??--It&#39;s about time that we amateurs go to court for RESTRAINING ORDERS against people that choose to ignore the fact that their equipment is deficient, and #instead of getting their equipment fixed/replaced, decide to harrass and annoy a legally operating radio operator.-I advocate this action in cases where reason and technical assistance have failed/been refused.-I am a television station transmitter engineer for WHUT-TV32, which is a 5,000,000 watt UHF PBS network affiliate, owned by Howard University, of Washington, D.C.-I have been called in by Mr. Mike Martin,RFI engineer of PEPCO (Potomac Electric and Power Co.) to resolve some RFI problems involving transmitter interference to homeowner equipment that he found difficult, and have ALWAYS been able to resolve them by adding needed RFI suppression to the affected HOMEOWNERS equipment, and NEVER did I find a fault with the transmitting facility that was being complained about&#33; I got my advanced electronics training at the US Army signal school in FT.Monmouth, N.J. have worked for the F.C.C. in Washington, D.C. I am a distinguished life member of AFCEA (Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association),listed in "Who&#39;s Who of Science and Engineering" serve as volunteer with the communications section of the District of Columbia Emergency Management Agency, and hold an EXTRA class amateur license.These homeowners for the most part do NOT understand electronics, and if they experience interference, do not realize that THEIR equipment may be the culprit, but when the interference comes from a 24 hour COMMERCIAL radio/ TV station, or a MILITARY base, I have NEVER heard of "QUIET HOURS" being imposed where the transmitting station is in compliance with all applicable rules regarding spectral purity of emissions&#33;--Many homeowners in this area live within 1block of high-powered (50KW and higher)24 hour a day COMMERCIAL broadcast facilities and do definitely receive signals on their telephones, computer speakers, home theater sound systems, have "Touch lamps" and other devices that experience erratic or undesired operation, but they either get the affected device fixed/repaced, or LIVE with IT&#33;&#33;--Stations WTOP radio,(50kw A.M.)WTTG television,(100kw VHF) WASH radio,(50kw FM) #WJLA television,(307kw VHF) #WUSA television,(307kwVHF) WHUT television,(5000kwUHF) WDCA television,(4400kwUHF) WETA television,(2700kwUHF) WBDC television,(2700kwUHF) ALL are located in densely populated residential/commercial areas, and have been received on other than intended devices, resulting in interference, but NOT EVER have they "Shut Down" because of it, and the affected parties either fix the problem at THEIR END, or LIVE WITH IT&#33;&#33;--The SAME applies in MY neighborhood, where I operate all ham bands up to and including 10 GHZ.--1500w on 1.8-30 mhz, 1000 w@ 144 &432, 250w@222&903, 100w @1296,20w @ 2304, 2w @ 10368,plus all the antenna gain I can manage&#33;--------73&#39;s Bob Curry, KC3VO

ad: dxeng