PDA

View Full Version : FT-950 Ceasing Production per Yaesu

W7ARX
06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
From one of Yaesu's many distributors: Yaesu is ceasing FT-950 production.
Of course, you never see that on their website but I am not surprised with teh FT-1200 coming out.

FYI

KA4DPO
06-26-2013, 12:10 PM
The FT-1200 looks a bit like the 3000 but the display actually looks better. It will be interesting to see the specs on it since it probably has the same receiver as the FT-3000.

K7JBQ
06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Well, except for a few minor details, such as up conversion.

Bill

The FT-1200 looks a bit like the 3000 but the display actually looks better. It will be interesting to see the specs on it since it probably has the same receiver as the FT-3000.

KA9MOT
06-26-2013, 07:02 PM
Priced at $1900 it better have an automatic butt wiper:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1200.html

G0UPG
06-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Why no USB port still :mad: - 9 pin serial port again.......

N0SYA
06-26-2013, 07:27 PM

The bidet option is extra.

KA9MOT
06-26-2013, 10:03 PM
The bidet option is extra.

LOL! Good one!

KC9UDX
06-26-2013, 10:57 PM
From one of Yaesu's many distributors: Yaesu is ceasing FT-950 production.
Of course, you never see that on their website but I am not surprised with teh FT-1200 coming out.

With all due respect, I think it's a little unfair to say "FT-950 Ceasing Production per Yaesu" based on the word of one of many distributors.

W2TXB
06-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Priced at $1900 it better have an automatic butt wiper...

Reminds me... have not had some good BBQ in a while.

NM7L
06-27-2013, 02:44 AM
With all due respect, I think it's a little unfair to say "FT-950 Ceasing Production per Yaesu" based on the word of one of many distributors.

The Yaesu reps at Dayton were saying that the FTDX-1200 was to be the successor of the FT-950 shortly after its launch, with production of the '950 ceasing at that time. Guess that time is now: get your '950 before they're gone.

K1FBI
06-27-2013, 03:49 AM
I wonder how wide the 3 kHz filter will be on the 1200...:rolleyes:

KA9MOT
06-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Reminds me... have not had some good BBQ in a while.

Whoever drew that picture doesn't know his arm (shoulder) from his butt!

W1PPP
06-27-2013, 06:59 AM

Because there aren't enough customers telling the manufacturers "you can stuff your gear until you start using current technology". Until that happens en masse, we can expect more obsolete connectivity.

W0AAT
06-27-2013, 07:26 AM
What? No transverter port?at that price it should have.

AD1L
06-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Why no USB port still :mad: - 9 pin serial port again.

That would be my question exactly! RS-235 serial ports have been a thing of the past on common computers for some time. I think it is unconscionable to ask owners to shell out $190 extra for this accessory to provide functionality which should be built-in at this point.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/punk_itup/yaescu17.jpg

Heck, the USB standard has been around for nearly two decades. The USB 2.0 was released 13-years ago now. The motherboard I put in my most recent desktop has a pair of ports for the USB 3.0 standard, which has a data rate of 4 Gb/s, and they have plans to enhance that to 10 Gb/s. I do not understand why these guys have been so slow to adopt what has been the standard on personal computers for years now.

Best regards,
James - AD1L

W7JZE
06-27-2013, 08:10 AM
That would be my question exactly! RS-235 serial ports have been a thing of the past on common computers for some time. I think it is unconscionable to ask owners to shell out $190 extra for this accessory to provide functionality which should be built-in at this point.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/punk_itup/yaescu17.jpg

Heck, the USB standard has been around for nearly two decades. The USB 2.0 was released 13-years ago now. The motherboard I put in my most recent desktop has a pair of ports for the USB 3.0 standard, which has a data rate of 4 Gb/s, and they have plans to enhance that to 10 Gb/s. I do not understand why these guys have been so slow to adopt what has been the standard on personal computers for years now.

Best regards,
James - AD1L

!138615 Word 138615!

W3BBB
06-27-2013, 11:11 AM

$1900 is not expensive for a good radio

W3BBB
06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
$1900 is not expensive for a good radio

And the FT-950 is under $1200 now - good buy for a nice radio

KR2C
06-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Market research says that hams want a real radio from to good 'ol days with knobs,physical analog meters (not fake meters on LCD screens) and tubes. I would guess that Yaesu might have considered a USB port way too advanced for the these old school licensed amateurs who build their rigs from memory by salvaging parts from junk TVs found on the curb on junk day. :)

AA0V
06-27-2013, 12:40 PM
I just added the FT-950, I'll wait for the rebate now. The brown truck left it yesterday. Going to use my IC-7200 for digital work. Not sure if I have misadjusted the 72k, but the 950 hears a lot better on SSB.

WA6MHZ
06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Looking at the 1200 and 950, think I would go for the 950. Alot more radio for much less. The 1200 is basically a stripped down 3000. It relies mostly on it's whizbang LCD Screen. Not enough knobs. Soon, there will be NO KNOBS on these rigs, with everything software controlled and touch screen. Gotta savor the REAL Radios with knobs and buttons!

W7ARX
06-27-2013, 02:44 PM
But Pat, the 1200/3000 have scopes...ooh..ahh..Hi.

One could to better to run an external panadapter for a scope function you can actually see....

Never did understand the miniscule scope thing...

KA4DPO
06-27-2013, 03:37 PM
I don't care much for the styling of the FT-1200 at all. It looks more like a home entertainment console than a radio. And Pat is right, no more knobs. Pretty soon everything will be like the Flex only smaller and with a touch screen. DX pile up? there's an app for that...

K4YND
06-27-2013, 04:54 PM
The 950 is a great radio for the money. It has a nice look and a easy to read display and a real radio footprint. I think Yaesu is making a mistake by not having a 1300 ish radio. I told the wife I was selling mine but am having 2nd thoughts since they don't make them anymore.
I will stash my 950 in with the boat anchors and start referring to it as a collectable. I bet kenwood will now sell more 590's

K4YND

KA9MOT
06-27-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't see why we need a USB port on our rigs. We don't need fast data transfer for Rig Control and Firmware updates/upgrades. The serial port has always worked fine for that. No serial port on your computer? That problem is easily remedied.

After all, we aren't watching movies or streaming music through our rigs are we? If you are, maybe ham radio isn't the right hobby for you. There is nothing hams need fast data transfer for.

KR2C
06-27-2013, 05:23 PM
I don't see why we need a USB port on our rigs. We don't need fast data transfer for Rig Control and Firmware updates/upgrades. The serial port has always worked fine for that. No serial port on your computer? That problem is easily remedied.

After all, we aren't watching movies or streaming music through our rigs are we? If you are, maybe ham radio isn't the right hobby for you. There is nothing hams need fast data transfer for.

Like a lot of things that we hold on to, the RS-232 serial port is nearing obsolescence. Manufacturers should do what they can to incorporate the latest technology to increase the longevity of their product.

W2IBC
06-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Another UGLY radio.

ill stick with the older stuff.

WB2WIK
06-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Another UGLY radio.

ill stick with the older stuff.

Me, too, mostly.

I have four HF transceivers and actually use them all, but my favorite is this one. Bought it new in 1978, it just passed its 34th birthday and still works like it's brand new.

G8KHS
06-27-2013, 07:12 PM
What? No transverter port?at that price it should have.

Only the FT2000 & FT5000 are transverter friendly.
Kenwood have that provision on the 480, 590 & 990.
You would have thought that Yaesu would have at least equipped the FT3000 with one.

WA6MHZ
06-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Now, HERE is a REAL RADIO!

http://www.qsl.net/la5ki/big/sr2000.jpg

Something happened on Field Day.

I had a chance to compare my 1965 Hallicrafters SR-400 to the much more modern and pricey Kenwood TS-930S

On the Hallicrafters, I could easily hear signals way down in the noise. On the Kenwood, the whole band was just THRASHED and TRASHED no matter what I did with the controls.

I don't understand why. Maybe because it has a TUBE front end that isn't overloaded by strong in-band signals.

The same thing happened in the June VHF Contest. I ran my new $6K FTdx5000 up against the 1980s Yaesu FT-736R. The 736R was a MUCH better receiver in all ways! WTF?????
The FT5K was just BLOWN AWAY by strong in band signals that it was supposed to be so IMMUNE to!

OLDER WORKS BETTER!!!!

K4YND
06-27-2013, 09:04 PM

I will always find time to use this

KA4DPO
06-27-2013, 10:15 PM

After all, we aren't watching movies or streaming music through our rigs are we? If you are, maybet ham radio isn't the right hobby for you. There is nothing hams need fast data transfer for.

Steve, my IC-7600 has PSK and RTTY decoders built in so all I have to do simply plug in the USB wireless keyboard dongle and I can work PSK and RTTY without a computer. You can also, Icom claims, download firmware upgrades but I have yet to see one. I just wish it had blue tooth..

KC2SIZ
06-28-2013, 02:15 AM
I've had an FT-950 for many years and it has served me well. I am in the mood to buy a new rig though and am right on the brink of pulling the trigger on a Ten Tec Eagle.

AC0FP
06-28-2013, 04:11 AM

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1200.htmlMy sentiment exactly! My FT-950 works just fine and I don't need anymore whistle&bells. Whistle&bells are for people like WA6MHZ to talk about here on QRZ.

fp

fp

AD1L
06-28-2013, 06:11 AM
I don't see why we need a USB port on our rigs. We don't need fast data transfer for Rig Control and Firmware updates/upgrades.

You are absolutely right, you do not need fast data transfer, and perhaps my earlier post that mentioned data rates was misleading. It was an aside to my point, which was how long USB has been a computer standard.

No serial port on your computer? That problem is easily remedied.

I am afraid we will not find serial ports on computers, because motherboards are not being manufactured with them anymore, you are lucky if there is a pin header on the board.

So, the option is to get an adapter.
But to my point, why should it be necessary to adapt a new piece of equipment, to communicate with another new piece of equipment, via an antiquated standard. Modern PC >> antiquated RS-232 << Modern Rig.

Steve, please understand in quoting you I am not trying to be argumentative, just clarifying my earlier post.

Best regards,
James - AD1L

W7ARX
06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Matters not to me whether it stays in production or not...just telling you what the manufacturer is telling their distributors...check for yourself....

W7ARX
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't want a 950, 2000, 1200 or 3000 or for that matter 5000. If I had to purchase a radio it likely wouldn't be in any of the current new model offerings. I don't see any really stellar performers out there, and not certainly, at the price they have on them....

I just wish the big three or four (however you want to count them), would take the good stuff and functional stuff from previous models and carry it forward....they always seem (to me) to miss that mark....

AF2Z
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Now, HERE is a REAL RADIO!

http://www.qsl.net/la5ki/big/sr2000.jpg

Visually the older rigs are a lot more appealing because of their symmetrical layouts. Symmetry is an essential component of beauty. Some of the newer rigs have the appearance of a jumbled web page. Even the less-cluttered ones have a kind of lopsided appearance. Touch screen rigs may start to resemble the typical chaotic web page, replete with all kinds of flashing pop-ups, spinning doo-dads and scrolling window shades... It seems like this visual chaos is becoming the familiar standard.

Drew

K1FBI
06-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Visually the older rigs are a lot more appealing because of their symmetrical layouts. Symmetry is an essential component of beauty. Some of the newer rigs have the appearance of a jumbled web page. Even the less-cluttered ones have a kind of lopsided appearance. Touch screen rigs may start to resemble the typical chaotic web page, replete with all kinds of flashing pop-ups, spinning doo-dads and scrolling window shades... It seems like this visual chaos is becoming the familiar standard.

Drew

That is perfect symmetry! Pure beauty.

KD5SPX
06-28-2013, 07:43 PM
At the Plano Hamfest in June the Yaesu dealer did not even have an 950 he said they were being discontinued before November. Thats too bad since the specs on the 950 are better than the new 1200 series and the computer built in lacks functions of the DMU. So now the lowest price choice for a great quality Yaesu unit is the 3000 at a much higher price point.

I am glad I got my full setup in 2011.

Kd5spx
Wayne

KC9UDX
06-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Matters not to me whether it stays in production or not...just telling you what the manufacturer is telling their distributors...check for yourself....

I'm not picking on you, but, you did say yourself that Yaesu isn't saying it's being discontinued; just that one of their many distributors told you that Yaesu told them it was being discontinued. That's what I call heresay. I don't disagree that it makes sense that they would be discontinuing it. But, Yaesu hasn't said they are, and the title of this thread implies that they did.

K1FBI
06-28-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm not picking on you, but, you did say yourself that Yaesu isn't saying it's being discontinued; just that one of their many distributors told you that Yaesu told them it was being discontinued. That's what I call heresay. I don't disagree that it makes sense that they would be discontinuing it. But, Yaesu hasn't said they are, and the title of this thread implies that they did.

It's been on the FT-950 users group for a long time and a rep at Dayton confirmed it. Look at HRO and see how many of it's locations don't have the rig in stock. Either it's true or this is one of the greatest marketing ploys ever. My only decision is whether or not to buy another FT-950 for back-up.

N3AWS
06-29-2013, 12:09 AM

Several distributors are posting it now. If you want one, look for the bargain price. I'll pass. I think there are better performers in the price range.

KK4JJF
06-29-2013, 04:13 AM
Well, I'm certainly happy I got mine. I even traded a "better performer" for it, and was thrilled when I did. Now I can actually see the buttons, and turn the knobs! I think it looks great, and with the 23" external scope screen, it does I'll need for some time.

K1FBI
06-29-2013, 04:35 AM
Several distributors are posting it now. If you want one, look for the bargain price. I'll pass. I think there are better performers in the price range.

Name 2 that are under $1200 and ahead of the 950 on the Sherwood Reports.

WP2XX
06-29-2013, 10:18 AM

Because fast data transfer is not the sole purpose of putting a USB connection on an amateur transceiver. Here, James said it very well already:

Why should it be necessary to adapt a new piece of equipment, to communicate with another new piece of equipment, via an antiquated standard?
It shouldn't. I can connect virtually anything via USB - camera, computer, phone, etc. - but many current-design amateur transceivers don't have that functionality. The only piece of modern technology I own which requires a special interface in order to be controlled by my computer is my HF transceiver. Everything else which contains information - EVERYTHING - I can connect by USB.

When it comes time to buy a new HF transceiver - which will be soon, I think - no USB will be a deal-breaker.

N3AWS
06-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Me, too, mostly.

I have four HF transceivers and actually use them all, but my favorite is this one. Bought it new in 1978, it just passed its 34th birthday and still works like it's brand new.

Can't argue with that logic--that's why I kept mine, too!

AC4BB
06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
That's a shame. The 950 was one of the best radios they ever made.

KA4DPO
06-29-2013, 02:28 PM

I am absolutely convinced that the FT-920 was the best radio they ever made for the money. With proper filters in it and using the DSP it could outrun anything but an Omni VI+ on CW and the ultra quiet reciever made it a stellar SSB rig also.

N3AWS
06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
I am absolutely convinced that the FT-920 was the best radio they ever made for the money. With proper filters in it and using the DSP it could outrun anything but an Omni VI+ on CW and the ultra quiet reciever made it a stellar SSB rig also.

I had a friend who had an FT-920 and I agree it was a great rig. The FT-1000 series were also good--except for the key clicks, but that was easily fixed. I'd have to say the best Yaesu rig, however, was the FT-736R.

I still have my original FT-817 and it's a great little rig for what I use it for (kind of an HT substitute) and makes a decent IF for VHF transverters.

The FT-9000 and 2000 series never excited me. The 5000 series seem like winners but are too big and heavy for my taste and the bandscope doesn't cut it.

I understand the PEP upgrade made a big difference in the 950 performance. If you have one and like, great. My main rig now is a 756 Pro II--not the latest and greatest but it gets the job done.

As far as upgrading--well, I'll see how the FLEX 6000's shake out.

WB2WIK
06-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Why complain about discontinuation of a product?

I was sad when the Chevy Nova was discontinued.:p But life marches on.

(BTW my 1975 or so Nova had a 305 V-8 and was one of the best cars I've ever had. Nothing ever went wrong with the darned thing.)

K1FBI
06-30-2013, 01:11 AM
Why complain about discontinuation of a product?

I was sad when the Chevy Nova was discontinued.:p But life marches on.

(BTW my 1975 or so Nova had a 305 V-8 and was one of the best cars I've ever had. Nothing ever went wrong with the darned thing.)

I had a 1970 Nova with a 327 under the hood. High rise manifold, headers, 202 fuelie heads, ladder bars, etc. That car was so light and quick; surprised a lot of people who thought they had quick cars.

W7ARX
06-30-2013, 01:52 AM
Personally, I think their 990, 920 and 1000 series were some of the best....hands down...

WB2WIK
06-30-2013, 02:01 AM
I had a 1970 Nova with a 327 under the hood. High rise manifold, headers, 202 fuelie heads, ladder bars, etc. That car was so light and quick; surprised a lot of people who thought they had quick cars.

I can believe that. When I bought my Nova in '75 (I think!) the 327 wasn't available. The normal V-8 was a 305. They might have had a 350 available, I don't remember. But this was the "beginning" of the "oil embargo" and gas prices just jumped from like $.30/gal to way over $.50/gal and were headed towards a dollar, which was mind-blowing for the time.

I didn't want to be another one who could say, "I can pass everything but a gas station."

I had a '73 Road Runner '426 that was in that category and when gas prices skyrocketed, that was the end of that.

WB2WIK
06-30-2013, 02:06 AM
Personally, I think their 990, 920 and 1000 series were some of the best....hands down...

All good rigs, and pretty different. I had a 920 and 990, never had a 1000D but did have an FT-1000MP which was "pretty" good, but not excellent.

The Orion outperforms all of those, which is why I still have it.:p

But different strokes for different folks: Why they still make Chocolate and Vanilla (and Baskin Robbins has 30 more flavors than that).

After all this time, I'm pretty sure I could make DXCC in one weekend (during a contest) with a 40 year-old Argonaut. It's not the "rig" that counts so much.

K1FBI
06-30-2013, 02:17 AM
I can believe that. When I bought my Nova in '75 (I think!) the 327 wasn't available. The normal V-8 was a 305. They might have had a 350 available, I don't remember. But this was the "beginning" of the "oil embargo" and gas prices just jumped from like $.30/gal to way over $.50/gal and were headed towards a dollar, which was mind-blowing for the time.

I didn't want to be another one who could say, "I can pass everything but a gas station."

I had a '73 Road Runner '426 that was in that category and when gas prices skyrocketed, that was the end of that.

I had a summer job at a gas station in 1976 and gas was 59.9 cents a gallon. We were the cheapest gas in the area.

KB3LAZ
06-30-2013, 03:48 AM

I had a '73 Road Runner as well. It was my first car. My parents bought it for me on my 15th birthday and my father and I restored it over the period of a year. It sure was a big car, a lot for me to handle as a new driver which is why it was used only on weekends. The trunk on that car was more like the bed of a truck!

AC0FP
06-30-2013, 03:55 AM
I had a summer job at a gas station in 1976 and gas was 59.9 cents a gallon. We were the cheapest gas in the area.My record low was in the early 60's, 17.9 cents a gallon in the USA. I can also remember paying 9.9 cents a gallon when I was in Germany in the Air Force in 1964/65.

fp

N1JGE
06-30-2013, 09:28 AM
My record low was in the early 60's, 17.9 cents a gallon in the USA. I can also remember paying 9.9 cents a gallon when I was in Germany in the Air Force in 1964/65.

fp

That's about as low as I've ever seen it.

W7ARX
06-30-2013, 05:06 PM
I can remember getting a coffee cup or something and gas wars...amazing how "free market" has changed that...Hi

K1FBI
06-30-2013, 05:44 PM
I can remember getting a coffee cup or something and gas wars...amazing how "free market" has changed that...Hi

Beverage glasses, no-nox horse shoes, 50 state stickers, S&H Green Stamps..times have indeed changed.

KA4DPO
07-01-2013, 04:39 PM
All good rigs, and pretty different. I had a 920 and 990, never had a 1000D but did have an FT-1000MP which was "pretty" good, but not excellent.

The Orion outperforms all of those, which is why I still have it.:p

Gee, I wonder why?????:confused:

K1FBI
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Gee, I wonder why?????:confused:

Because it cost twice as much?

K1FBI
07-01-2013, 07:30 PM

How about 2 distributors??

NOTE:
Yaesu is ceasing FT-950
production. We have
one left as of 06/26/13.

W7ARX
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
If anyone doubted the initial posting, it was easy to just ASK Yaesu....who replied....

Yes, we have a final production run in process now and then will halt production. However, we will continue to support the FT 950 with parts and Repair service. The FT DX 1200 and FT DX 3000 will take over that portion of the market for us.

W7ARX
07-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Did you bother to contact Yaesu directly and just ask? See my last posting on this thread or next to last...they did confirm it (not that I am interested, but since a couple of folks didn't contact them)....

KC9UDX
07-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Did you bother to contact Yaesu directly and just ask?No. But to be fair, you didn't either at that point, or you would have said so. You said that "one of many distributors says Yaesu says". Like I said, that's my definition of heresay.

I didn't, nor did I have any reason to, doubt Yaesu would be discontinuing the product. That much was pretty obvious.

Either way, it's all irrelevant now that we've heard directly from Yaesu.

KA9MOT
07-02-2013, 09:27 PM
If anyone doubted the initial posting, it was easy to just ASK Yaesu....who replied....

Yes, we have a final production run in process now and then will halt production. However, we will continue to support the FT 950 with parts and Repair service. The FT DX 1200 and FT DX 3000 will take over that portion of the market for us.

This makes me wonder if the FT-2000 is going away as well............

N2EY
07-02-2013, 09:34 PM

I remember 23.9 at the big gas station on Lehigh Avenue in North Philly. That was the mid-1960s. Dad would get $2 worth of gas and get a free glass too.

Of course the cars of those days would go maybe 80 miles on that $2 worth of gas. Today, that $2 is worth about $15, and a similar car will go over 100 miles on that much gasoline.

But you don't get the free glass.

KB2NHW
07-02-2013, 11:10 PM
So if theyre getting rid of the 2000 and 950, id assume the 450D isnt far behind, and if so, i wonder what could replace it?
Maybe something with a screen like the 1200 sort of, and alot smaller like the 450D size?
Like a 1200 with more menus like they did with the 950 vs 450 series.

The 1200 is as fugly as the 3000 in that it looks like a 1980s vintage Techniques Stereo Receiver.

W7ARX
07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
I suspect "likewise" as many of the faults or short comings in the 2000 were sorta better in the 950, so if the 950 is ceasing production...then it would make sense to.....

Fill in the blank...

This makes me wonder if the FT-2000 is going away as well............

KJ4VTH
07-03-2013, 02:46 AM
I am buying as many FT-950 as I can to go with my Twinkie collection. Gonna make me rich some day. :D

K1FBI
07-03-2013, 02:50 AM
Give me about two weeks and I can get you all the Twinkies you want for your collection.:)

WP2XX
07-03-2013, 11:03 AM
So if theyre getting rid of the 2000 and 950, id assume the 450D isnt far behind, and if so, i wonder what could replace it?
Maybe something with a screen like the 1200 sort of, and alot smaller like the 450D size?
Like a 1200 with more menus like they did with the 950 vs 450 series.

The 1200 is as fugly as the 3000 in that it looks like a 1980s vintage Techniques Stereo Receiver.
I'm wondering why they're not updating/replacing the 857/897 line. I thought the 450 was supposed to do that, but there's no sign of those older models disappearing after 10+ years on the market. But then again I suspect they're still selling strongly, where the 950 wasn't.

KB9SDX
07-03-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm wondering why they're not updating/replacing the 857/897 line. I thought the 450 was supposed to do that, but there's no sign of those older models disappearing after 10+ years on the market. But then again I suspect they're still selling strongly, where the 950 wasn't.

The 857/897 thing is driving me nuts as well. I'd like a shack upgrade from my 706, but everything out there right now (with VHF/UHF capability) seems like it would be a lateral move.

W7ARX
07-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I think from a portable/mobile perspective, the 857 and for that matter, 897 are good for the newbies and the portable ops...probably a stronger market..I see boat loads of 950's and 2000's for sale on the boards, Ebay, etc. as opposed the 857/897. Most folks that have a portable/mobile radio as a 'Back Up' frequently don't part with them unless they are selling a bunch of stuff to get that high dollar radio that just came out. They don't bring much used and are worth more to keep.

K1FBI
07-03-2013, 09:11 PM
FT-950....You won't get one today.
HRO Stock Status:

http://www.hamradio.com/images/icon_stock_g2.jpg (http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009140#)
Anaheim, CA (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=1)
http://www.hamradio.com/images/icon_stock_g2.jpg (http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009140#)
Sunnyvale, CA (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=2)
Oakland, CA (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=3)
San Diego, CA (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=4)
Burbank, CA (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=5)
Phoenix, AZ (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=6)

Woodbridge, VA (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=7)
Atlanta, GA (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=8)
Salem, NH (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=9)
Denver, CO (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=10)
Portland, OR (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=11)
New Castle, DE (http://www.hamradio.com/locations.cfm?storeid=12)

KA9MOT
07-04-2013, 01:22 AM
I think from a portable/mobile perspective, the 857 and for that matter, 897 are good for the newbies and the portable ops...probably a stronger market..I see boat loads of 950's and 2000's for sale on the boards, Ebay, etc. as opposed the 857/897. Most folks that have a portable/mobile radio as a 'Back Up' frequently don't part with them unless they are selling a bunch of stuff to get that high dollar radio that just came out. They don't bring much used and are worth more to keep.

I agree. The FT-857/897 are a good cheap entry level or back up rig and that is why they keep selling so well. My brother bought a FT-950 and I was impressed. It is a good rig.

ad: WarrenG-1