PDA

View Full Version : D & A Mfg. Raider amplifier

AA8WI
12-28-2003, 04:04 AM
I purchased a D & A Mfg. "Raider" amplifier at a local ham swapmeet a few months ago. #Unfortunately, there was no manual and I've had no luck finding one. #Can anyone help out? #I would be willing to pay for a copy. #Any information concerning this amp would be greatly appreciated.

AA8WI

K9STH
12-28-2003, 04:38 AM
I am not familar with that particular amplifier. However, it "sounds like" one of those illegal CB and/or freebander amplifiers that do not meet the type acceptance criteria.

All that aside, if you can get it going and if it can be modified to meet the technical specifications set forth in 47 CFR Part 97, then it is perfectly legal to be used by a licensed amateur on those frequencies that he/she is entitled so long as you don't exceed the power limits for your particular class on that particular frequency.

Glen, K9STH

AA8WI
12-28-2003, 04:55 AM
Thanks for your post, Glen

The amp was made by D & A Mfg. in Scottsbluff, NE (a company which it would seem is now defunct). They also made several other models and I've found some picutres of them as well as this amp on the internet, but no information. I would guess it was made in the 60s or 70s. It is made for the amateur bands with a "10, 15, 20, 40" meter position switch on the front. The fellow from whom I purchased it thought it would put out about 300 watts. Also, it is very clean and may have never been used.

73, Bernie

K9STH
12-28-2003, 07:51 AM
It almost is certainly to be a CB type linear. The manufacturers tried to say that they covered several amateur radio bands but, in fact, they work primarily in the 27 MHz range. The fact that it only puts out about 300 watts is another "give away"!

Does the linear use TV "sweep" tubes? With the exception of the Dentron GLA series amplifiers, virtually no amateur radio linear did. There is probably an exception, or two, but, generally those amplifiers that used sweep tubes were CB.

Glen, K9STH

W8JI
12-29-2003, 12:43 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AA8WI @ Dec. 27 2003,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks for your post, Glen

The amp was made by D &amp; A Mfg. in Scottsbluff, NE (a company which it would seem is now defunct). #They also made several other models and I&#39;ve found some picutres of them as well as this amp on the internet, but no information. #I would guess it was made in the 60s or 70s. #It is made for the amateur bands with a &quot;10, 15, 20, 40&quot; meter position switch on the front. #The fellow from whom I purchased it thought it would put out about 300 watts. #Also, it is very clean and may have never been used.

73, Bernie[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The D&amp;A Raider is a very dirty CB amplifier using expensive sweep tubes. I&#39;m pretty sure it has safety issues also.

The bandswitch and extra 20 turns of silver plated #8 wire in the coils was just a ploy to try and get by the FCC rules, but it didn&#39;t work.

Years ago a fellow about a mile or two from me had two of them, and I could hear his S9 splatter on 15 meters when he was on CB. He wouldn&#39;t stop using them and I couldn&#39;t clean them up, and eventually we got in a very big fight over it.

I eventually won the war when he was nearly killed touching something inside even after the amplifier was unplugged for a few hours.

If you sell it, be sure no one knows where you live or who you are.

73 Tom

ad: dxeng