PDA

View Full Version : Help with FT-8900 repeater programming

KF5NRP
05-09-2012, 05:34 PM
I recently bought a FT-8900 for my XYL. It looks like the setup is fairly straight forward, however, I am unable to receive from a repeater. Simplex works great. When I transmit, I am heard. I am unable to receive. I can BARELY tell someone is calling, but it is so weak that I can't make it out - and I see the full carrier of the repeater at the end of the transmission.

Does anyone have an idea on what I am doing wrong??

Thanks!

Butch
KF5NRP
:(

W9GB
05-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Turn OFF the CTCSS Decoder (ENC instead of ENC.DEC) ...
Many repeaters don't transmit the CTCSS tone on their output -- Warning at Top of Page 30

Read pages 29 and 30 in your FT-8900r manual
http://www.orari.or.id/file/buku/FT-8900R-Manual.pdf

KF5FEI
05-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Turn OFF the CTCSS Decoder ... Many repeaters don't transmit the CTCSS tone on their output.

That would be my first suggestion as well.

KF5NRP
05-09-2012, 07:04 PM
OK y'all - here's where I get to tell how green and stupid I am. HA! I was trying to set up her radio in the driveway about 50 feet away from my base station. I could NOT get rid of the problem regardless of what setting I used. She just left for work and when she was about 5 miles from the house, just for grins, I told her to try the repeater and it worked fine. The only thing I can guess is that we were too close together to test the repeater. I figure my base station was canceling the repeater signal. ??? At any rate, her radio appears to be receiving me from the repeater now that she is not 50 feet away.

Thank all of you for your input and thoughtful help!!!
God Bless,

Butch
KF5NRP

KC7YRA
05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Ya, you were blowing the front end away. Very common. Trying to talk from one HT to another through a repeater, when the HTs are on the same table.

Live and learn.

Brad

K6ABZ
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
yeah, receiver desensing is a huge problem. Simply put: don't use a transmitter and a receiver on the same band at the same time in the same site - unless you take precautions to prevent one from swamping the other.

here are some tips:
1. Vertical separation. Getting the antenna for your receiver out of the pattern of your transmitting antenna is crucial.
2. Power: use the minimum power necessary to get full quieting at the repeater. This will help reduce the amount of signal swaming your receiver's front end.
3. Directional antennas: you can use beams and other types of directional antennas to keep your transmitters out of your receivers.

N4CR
05-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Drop the power to 5 watts and you'll get the desense a lot less. I have a few 8900's and the all desense when there's another mobile within a few carlengths until they drop their output power. At 5 watts it's seldom a problem.

ad: k1jek