PDA

View Full Version : Baofeng UV-5R Software.

W2LEC
03-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Baofeng UV-5R. I am pleased with the radio and impressed especially with the price. However I downloaded the software and can't get it to work with Windows 7. I keep getting a comm port error even after trying all of the comm port settings. Any ideas are greatly appreciated as the software makes it a lot easier to program. Thanks for your time.

Eddie - KJ4LRB

KJ4VRB
03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
You need to go into your Device Manager and look at the Com Ports. Sorry the link below is for the UV-3R, but the ideas are the same. Hope that helps.

http://www.brickolore.com/2011/10/baofeng-uv-3r-mark-ii-software.html

(Nice call by the way.)

Brian
KJ4VRB

K2QB
03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Let me know if you get it figured out. I'm waiting for my UV-5R to arrive any day now. BTW...where did you download the programming sofware from?

Jim - K2QB

WA6MHZ
03-29-2012, 04:02 PM
The problem is the with programming cable device driver. It is supposed to be PROLIFIC compatible but evidently is a bogus cable, so it won't work. I uploaded the Win7 Device drivers to the files section of the UV-3R Yahoo group, so join that group and they are there. Even though it is for a UV-3R, the device driver is the same for the 3 and 5. Look for 409shop USB Drivers.

By the way, there is a UV-3R group and also a Baofeng UV-5R group. Join them both!

W5RKL
04-08-2012, 08:25 PM
The USB to serial driver that I use that works with Windows 7 64 bit is

Win7Vista_64bit_prolificUSB_V3200.exe

You have to remove all other UV3R and UV5R USB drivers then reboot windows before installing the above driver. This driver will work with the UV3R and UV5R
programming software so you don't need 2 separate drivers for the 2 radios.

The UV3R and the UV5R transceivers WILL transmit on any frequency within the range (VHF and UHF) the transceivers are designed for. That mean, if, in addition
to normal ham band 2 meter and 70cm repeater frequencies, you also enter a few public service (police, fire, and rescue) frequencies, both transceiver WILL transmit on those frequencies and both WILL produce RF output that WILL produce interference and you can easily get into trouble if you are NOT authorized
to transmit on those public service frequencies.

To prevent the transmitter's from being keyed on public service frequencies simply ensure the programming software's "TX FREQ(MHZ)" block is left blank
for those public service frequencies. This prevents the transmitter from being keyed no matter how many times you press the PTT button and for how long you
press the PTT button. You do NOT have to set the CTCCS/ENC block to blank either because the CTCCS/ENC block has absolutely NOTHING to do with
preventing the transmitter from being keyed. This will NOT affect the normal amateur repeater and simplex frequencies you program, it only affects the
individual public service frequencies you program into the radio using the radio's programming software. This is the method I have used to prevent the
transmitter from activating on public service frequencies I monitor.

73s
Mike
W5RKL

K8ERV
04-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Can you link to or send the driver? I would like it too.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

W5RKL
04-08-2012, 10:31 PM

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

If you send me an e-mail I can send the file to you, it's only 1.9Meg in size.

I don't know how to send it to the forum.

73s
Mike
W5RKL

K8ERV
04-08-2012, 10:33 PM
My email ls listed here but you can use t l a m b at m e s a dot net. Thanks.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

VK2APA
04-08-2012, 10:56 PM
G'day Mike,
I have also the same problem and have been watching this thread. Could you please also include me in your email? My email address is anslow(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au

Thanks and Regards,

Paul
VK2APA

W5RKL
04-09-2012, 03:45 AM
Paul and Tom,

I sent the Windows 7 64 bit USB to Serial driver plus the UV3R and UV5R programming software to both e-mail addresses you both provided. Please let me know via e-mail if you received them.

73s
Mike
W5RKL

DV6DKL
04-10-2012, 02:00 AM
mike,

hi! have the same problem too..can you include me, i need the Windows 7 64 bit USB to Serial driver plus the UV3R and UV5R programming software. tnx! my email add is kilo_279@yahoo.com

73s
Kako
DV6DKL

W5RKL
04-10-2012, 12:05 PM
mike,

hi! have the same problem too..can you include me, i need the Windows 7 64 bit USB to Serial driver plus the UV3R and UV5R programming software. tnx! my email add is kilo_279@yahoo.com

73s
Kako
DV6DKL

Kako,

I sent the Windows 7 64bit USB to serial driver to you via e-mail this morning. I also included UV3R and UV5R programming software. All the files are in a single 5 meg zip file.

73s
Mike
W5RKL

K2QB
04-13-2012, 12:39 AM
I'm having a different problem. Just received the cable and software and installed it on my XP system. Said it installed succesfully and my system discovered the new USB device and indicated it was good to go. I checked my Com ports and Com port 5 was assigned to the cable. I set the radio software to Com 5 and tried to read from radio but keep receiving communication error.

W5RKL
04-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm having a different problem. Just received the cable and software and installed it on my XP system. Said it installed succesfully and my system discovered the new USB device and indicated it was good to go. I checked my Com ports and Com port 5 was assigned to the cable. I set the radio software to Com 5 and tried to read from radio but keep receiving communication error.

Plug the USB to serial cable into any open/free USB port on the computer.
Plug the USB to serial cable into the UV5R, ensuring the plug is fully seated into the UV5R.
Turn the UV5R ON. The transceiver MUST be turned ON in order for the software to read and write to the UV5R.

You should also check to see if hardware flow control is turned on. Hardware flow control is not used and should be set to "None" in the serial port settings.

Right click on the desktop's "My Computer" icon
Select "Properties"
In the Properties window, click on "Device Manager"

When Device Manager window opens, look for an entry that say "Ports (Com & LPT) and click on the "+" next to "Ports (Com & LPT)".
Notice that a line appears below "Ports (Com & LPT)" that says "Prolific USB to serial Comm port (Com3)". The USB to serial driver "typically" assigns "Com3" as the communication's port (your comm port may be different as you
said, your comm port is assigned "Com5". Simply replace any indication of "Com3" with "Com5" in the following.

Right click on the "Prolific USB to serial Comm port (Com3) line and select "Properties". The line showing "Prolific USB to Serial Comm port (COM3)" must NOT have nay Yellow "!" indication.
If there's a Yellow "!" then there's a problem, quite often it's the driver not working with the OS (Operating System) due to incompatibility or otherwise.

When the Comm Port Properties window opens, click on "Port Settings" and check to ensure "Flow Control" is set to "None". If Flow Control is set to anything other than "None", click the Flow Control drop down menu and select "None".
Do NOT change any other settings, regardless of what they are showing. Now click "OK".

Close the Device Manager window then ensure the UV5R is turned ON.
Launch the UV5 Programming software, select Communications and click on Com3 then click Confirm.

Click "Program" and select "Read from Radio".
Click "Confirm" and the software should read the configuration/frequency settings in the radio.

73s
Mike
W5RKL

K9WY
04-20-2012, 03:06 AM
Hi, Having problems with my driver too. Does anyone have one that works, send the file to airtron@peoplepc.com. I have XP. Thanks and 73, Rick, K9WY.

KI6USW
04-20-2012, 04:11 AM
Found out that if you give the programming plug and extra squeeze/push into its socket, it will read and write to the radio. Apparently, this cable's tips are quite the right length as they should be. Mine is very finnicky. Takes a few squeezes before it will work.

Just a heads up . . .

BTW - the software writer that writes the CHIRP programming software is already working on cracking the UV-5R. Dunno if it is done yet. It wasn't ready the last time I checked.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

KA7ARA
04-24-2012, 07:38 PM
I am using Win7 and to program my 5r. Everytime I use it I need to reset the comport from #1 to #5, it will then read and write to the rig FB. The problem I have is there appears to be NO way to save the info into a file, it keeps saying something about nullity or a word similar. Me being an old bugger cant figure what its trying to tell me.
Does anyone know how to save the contents of the read file to a file on disk?????

73 ka7ara

KK4IZA
05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
I too have a UV-5R and have yet to successfully program it using the baofeng or CHIRP software(s). When using CHIRP it simply says "Radio did not ACK first command". I'm assuming based on the previous posts that I need to take a closer look at the driver situation. If anyone has any luck please post back your results.

KK4IZA
05-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Issue solved, radio programmed.

SA7BVT
05-12-2012, 02:43 PM
I got runtime error 8020 each time i tried to connect.
The problem was that I couldnt use the newest drivers with my cable.
I had to use old drivers, (others have had the same problem/made the same solution)

so to get the old drivers, google "Prolific PL2303 Driver v.1.0" and download them from www.x-drivers.com

73 well met on the bands

W2EJC
05-13-2012, 01:52 AM
I ran into this same problem and after confirming what com port was assigned to my USB program cable, it required multiple tries to either read or write to the radio. Give that a try, it worked for me.

KK4IZA
05-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I run Windows in a vm, so I was having some issues with the usb to serial communications. I am using the old prolific driver and it seems to be working great now.

K3NXU
06-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Here's a UV5R FAQ and Summary page you may find useful.
Www.Miklor.Com/uv5r
John K3NXU

KI6USW
06-12-2012, 05:28 AM
http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/daily-20120507/chirp-daily-20120507-installer.exe

This version of CHIRP software will work with the Baofeng UV-5R.
But I still like and use the standard/upgraded Baofeng software found on the Wouxun.us site. IMO - it is easier if you are already acquainted with it. . . .

KA9EVN
06-26-2012, 05:50 PM

73s
Mike
W5RKL

I would also like for you to send me the software. I've tried the CD that came with the radio and it just won't install. I downloades the files from Baofeng's website and got the same results. I like the radio but I wish to program it with my computer, I'm running Win. 7 any help would be great.
Tony
ka9evn@att.net

KC2PED
07-19-2012, 11:27 AM
I have got my radio working with both the Baofeng and CHIRP software on an old Windows XP machine
Now I am trying to get CHIRP to work on a MacBook Pro under OSX Lion
After plugging the cable into the radio and computer the radio goes into transmit mode as soon as I turn the radio on
Another Mac user in the Yahoo forum has reported having the same problem
We suspect we are using the poisoned Prolific driver with counterfeit PL2303 chips
If anyone has gotten CHIRP working under Lion please let me know how you did it

KI6USW
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I have got my radio working with both the Baofeng and CHIRP software on an old Windows XP machine
Now I am trying to get CHIRP to work on a MacBook Pro under OSX Lion
After plugging the cable into the radio and computer the radio goes into transmit mode as soon as I turn the radio on
Another Mac user in the Yahoo forum has reported having the same problem
We suspect we are using the poisoned Prolific driver with counterfeit PL2303 chips
If anyone has gotten CHIRP working under Lion please let me know how you did it
Did you try this driver?
http://wouxun.us/Software/USB%20Drivers/PL2303_Prolific_GPS_AllInOne_1013.exe

W6TMI
07-21-2012, 07:38 AM
The UV3R and the UV5R transceivers WILL transmit on any frequency within the range (VHF and UHF) the transceivers are designed for. That mean, if, in addition
to normal ham band 2 meter and 70cm repeater frequencies, you also enter a few public service (police, fire, and rescue) frequencies, both transceiver WILL transmit on those frequencies and both WILL produce RF output that WILL produce interference and you can easily get into trouble if you are NOT authorized
to transmit on those public service frequencies.

To prevent the transmitter's from being keyed on public service frequencies simply ensure the programming software's "TX FREQ(MHZ)" block is left blank
for those public service frequencies. This prevents the transmitter from being keyed no matter how many times you press the PTT button and for how long you
press the PTT button. You do NOT have to set the CTCCS/ENC block to blank either because the CTCCS/ENC block has absolutely NOTHING to do with
preventing the transmitter from being keyed. This will NOT affect the normal amateur repeater and simplex frequencies you program, it only affects the
individual public service frequencies you program into the radio using the radio's programming software. This is the method I have used to prevent the
transmitter from activating on public service frequencies I monitor.

73s
Mike
W5RKL

Not only that, but the PTT key is VERY touchy. I seem to hit it every time I pick the thing up.

N5TEN
08-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I can't get it to work at all. In the software, the Ports menu is all "grey'ed" out so I can't pick a port, no matter how many changes I make in the device manager. My device gives me an error 10, and the software won't communicate or let me modify the ports. I had the same problem with my TYT radios. I tried on Win7, Vista, and my old XP. None of them worked. Installed the UV-3r software and that port is greyed out too, but com 1 has a button indicated. So, I changed to com 1 in my device manager. No worky.

I downloaded that 2008 driver someone posted above. I was able to get rid of the error 10 i was getting with the 2012 and 2009 drivers I had, but I'm afraid to unplug and replug the radio into the USB. Also, the software won't let me pick a port/com and won't communicate with the radio.

N5TEN
08-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Now it's doing this: Reading from radio. Searching COM port. Cannot connect radio. (This is after I pulled the usb and plugged it back in).

Downloaded Chirp. It recognizes com 5, then it goes into clone. Then same thing. Does not ACK. Radio won't talk to computer. I think it is all the driver.

NX1P
08-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Use chirp instead of the stock software. I was fortunate to get a cable that was prolific compatible. Just looked up in the hardware devices under serial ports and found the one and only prolific com port. I have been able to program my UV5R using chirp running on my windoz 7 and Ubuntu linux systems.

N5TEN
08-09-2012, 01:08 AM
I've been trying Chirp for two hours. Naddah. I'm using the only driver that works too...the 2008 one that was posted here. The 2012 drivers that came with it don't work. So now that the driver works, I can't get the radio to talk to the computer, no matter the software...no matter the port.

KI6USW
08-09-2012, 05:20 AM
N5TEN:

it is a little known fact that if you push the programming plug into the radio - after you put it in - it will make contact. For some reason, this has been a know quirk with this radio. Just give it an extra 'squeeze' and then try it. It is finicky. Also use the 'fail-safe driver' that I posted below after you uninstall the previous one completely.

Maybe this will work for you as it has for others that I personally know that have and use this radio.
Try that.

N5TEN
08-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Below where?

N5TEN
08-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Doesn't work.

KC2PED
08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
There are instructions on dealing with the counterfeit Prolific chips in the Chinese programming cables in the files section of the UV-5R group on Yahoo Groups.
They also have a working driver there.

N5TEN
08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
I tried their drivers on both my Win7 and my Vista 64bit with no luck. The device "is working" with those drivers, and the software recognizes the changes in com settings when I do that in device manager, but when it comes time to communicate with the radio, it won't work. The pins are all the way in, and after messing with the whole project for 6 hours yesterday, I'm just giving up. The cable I got from the seller is not going to work. And, neither will the other two cables I got from TYT sellers recently. None of them work. So, before I take a hammer to all these Chinese radios here, I'm just going to be satisfied with manual stupid-ville programming of these things.

N8QWS
08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Got the generic chip in both my cables for VX-1R and UV-5R and had the same problem of code 10 disabled on my Win7x64.. With the cable plugged in I went to control panel/system/device manager and uninstalled it checking the remove driver box.. Shut down and unplugged the usb cable, rebooted, installed the vista drivers that do not say prolific and cancled the Win7 search for updates during the install.. Yep the prolific drivers detect the bootleg chip and disable the device.. Gotta love those Chineese, the wild west of technology..

NE5EE
08-14-2012, 04:14 AM
I have a nice new UV-5R and the vendor sent me sw but it does not work correctly (I am guessing the driver does not match the Chinese ripoff cable). Is there any way to get a "guaranteed to work" software and cable package for XP? Or at least a driver worth trying? I tried using the driver the vendor suggested, but it seems to be 64 bit only or ???

NE5EE
08-14-2012, 04:30 AM
I have a new UV-5R and what sounds like similar symptoms with XP SP3. I cannot seem to find software and instructions that work. Does anyone have a lead?

AURORA1
08-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi, I am having trouble with the programing of the UV5R and tried all the things including UV3R software and all have failed. I have windows 7 and I have the same problem as everybody else, It will not recognise the com port. Mine is com Port 8 and I set the com port for com port 8 and it seems to go back to com port 1 Ive done the device manager and checked the comm port and still the same thing. Ive spent days trying to get this right. Can anybody HELP PLEASE. I NEED ASSISTANCE. I have a cable and also a disk that come with the radio. Ive downloaded software and still no good. Ive tried everything on the noticeboard. please email me david.macleod1@bigpond.com with some links to save my sanity. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you, Dave.

KK4ITX
08-18-2012, 11:32 PM
I would suppose that you all have solved your problems by now but there is a UV-5R Yahoo Group that has about 2400 members and quite an interesting array of solutions to problems you never knew you had. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r/

It would be worth your time to stop by.

G0RSM
08-23-2012, 06:47 PM
to save your channel list " backspace * and give it a nane or number or both leaving .dat " then save

G0RSM
08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
will not work on 64 bit wnndows 7 there is 64 bit fix out there if you can find it???????????

VE3TEI
09-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Software and drivers for the UV-5R
http://www.radioshop888.com/shop_displaynews.php?id=292

KI4JZG
09-16-2012, 02:20 AM
I am posting this in hope that I can be of help to anyone else trying to set up the programming software for the Baofeng UV-5R. I ordered the USB to serial cable from Amazon. The cable came with a small CD with a driver and the Baofeng programming software. Unwisely, I plugged the cable in first & the Windows XT I use found & installed a driver for the cable. When I went into the hardware manager it showed the cable with no errors.

I wanted to use Chirp, since it had some functions the Baofeng software doesn't. So I got the latest Chirp build from the Chirp website and installed it. But when I pulled Chirp up, it wouldn't read the radio memory. I did some research & came across a post suggesting changing the driver from 9600 to 38400 baud. I did this, but Chirp still didn't work, but the Baofeng software did.

Determined to get Chirp to work, I loaded the driver off of the disk and ran it. It told me a driver was already installed & when it asked what to do, I told it to uninstall the driver. When the driver uninstall completed, rebooted the computer. Then I ran the driver install program again. When I plugged the cable in, the XT once again recognized it without any errors.

So I fired Chirp up again, connected the cable to the radio and turned it on. I selected read from radio and was gratified to see it finally pull down the radio's program memory. Hopefully this will save you the frustration I experienced in getting everything working.

Jim
KI4JZG

KC9QNE
10-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Anyone having problems with Chirp deleting all the offsets programmed?

If I delete and shift up one freq, every offset below it gets changed to the default zero.

KJ6ZTK
10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
For all those that have a working cable/com port but still have a connection error.....Make sure you really push the connector into the radio. There is a final click before it is truly seated.

Took me two days to figure that out!!

KA8SLR
10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I am posting this in hope that I can be of help to anyone else trying to set up the programming software for the Baofeng UV-5R. I ordered the USB to serial cable from Amazon. The cable came with a small CD with a driver and the Baofeng programming software. Unwisely, I plugged the cable in first & the Windows XT I use found & installed a driver for the cable. When I went into the hardware manager it showed the cable with no errors.

I wanted to use Chirp, since it had some functions the Baofeng software doesn't. So I got the latest Chirp build from the Chirp website and installed it. But when I pulled Chirp up, it wouldn't read the radio memory. I did some research & came across a post suggesting changing the driver from 9600 to 38400 baud. I did this, but Chirp still didn't work, but the Baofeng software did.

Determined to get Chirp to work, I loaded the driver off of the disk and ran it. It told me a driver was already installed & when it asked what to do, I told it to uninstall the driver. When the driver uninstall completed, rebooted the computer. Then I ran the driver install program again. When I plugged the cable in, the XT once again recognized it without any errors.

So I fired Chirp up again, connected the cable to the radio and turned it on. I selected read from radio and was gratified to see it finally pull down the radio's program memory. Hopefully this will save you the frustration I experienced in getting everything working.

Jim
KI4JZG

KA8SLR
Daryn

CAN you send me a copy of teh CD? Lutherdogg227@yahoo.com

N2CUA
10-26-2012, 02:01 AM
I just read also that you should turn off the windows feature that causes it to automagically
update / look for windows drivers when plugging in / installing the Prolific device / software.
Because .. there are counterfeit chips in China .. ending up here in these cables .. and so they
have sent drivers to microsoft that can detect the chip and disable the software .. and not let
you use the comm port and give you the YELLOW ! ..

N2CUA
10-26-2012, 08:42 PM
I have a weird issue ... took care of the driver stuff .. and windows 7 sees the Prolific device fine..
I can use the cable and program my Wouxun ..
I cannot use the UV-5R software and connect to the radio .. it sees the comm port ok ..
just says it fails to connect ..
HOWEVER, I CAN use the Chirp softtware and read / write to the radio .. whats up wid dat ? LOL
I was also wondering .. there is a tab for settings, however, its blank .. is that normal ??

Randy - N2CUA

BERTAS
10-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Sent the Windows 7 64 bit USB to Serial driver plus the UV3R and UV5R programming software. My e-mail: albertab@takas.lt
Thank you in advance.
Albertas

BERTAS
10-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Dear W5RKL, sent the Windows 7 64 bit USB to Serial driver plus the UV3R and UV5R programming software. My e-mail:albertab@takas.lt
Thank you,
Albertas

K4ELG
11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Mike: If you still have the links available I would appreciate an email. I am having the same problem with my UV5R programming from the computer. I have a Wouxun that programs perfectly with the cable and drivers provided but the UV5R won't program using the UV5R software and the existing drivers that work for the Wouxun.
Lee
K4ELG@arrl.net

FIREKEVIN13
11-25-2012, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=W5RKL;2516813]Paul and Tom,

I sent the Windows 7 64 bit USB to Serial driver plus the UV3R and UV5R programming software to both e-mail addresses you both provided. Please let me know via e-mail if you received them.

73s
Mike
W5RKL[/QUOTE

Can you send me the programming software as well I am having problems finding software that will work with my computer windows 7 64 bit. kkellyemt at gmail.com

ZL1SLK
11-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Paul and Tom,

73s
Mike
W5RKL

Can you please email me the BAOFENG UV5R software to nznilan@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Nilan

N8MGT
12-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Baofeng UV-5R. I am pleased with the radio and impressed especially with the price. However I downloaded the software and can't get it to work with Windows 7. I keep getting a comm port error even after trying all of the comm port settings. Any ideas are greatly appreciated as the software makes it a lot easier to program. Thanks for your time.

Eddie - KJ4LRB

Hello I had this same problem and on mine the cable on the side of the radio was't in all the way,had to push it in harder and that fix my problem in win7? Hope that helps if not fixed yet worked on mine..Don - n8mgt

UNIPHORESOLUTION
12-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Voice Software (http://www.uniphore.com/platforms/voicenet)

Please tell how can i use this.

K5SLE
12-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I have a weird issue ... took care of the driver stuff .. and windows 7 sees the Prolific device fine..
I cannot use the UV-5R software and connect to the radio .. it sees the comm port ok ..
HOWEVER, I CAN use the Chirp softtware and read / write to the radio .. whats up wid dat ? LOL
I was also wondering .. there is a tab for settings, however, its blank .. is that normal ??

Randy - N2CUA

I have the same problem. I finally got the cable to work with CHIRP, but can't get VIP to recognize it. Wierd. I need a CHIRP for Dummys (that being me) guide. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Steve - K5SLE

KF5FEI
12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Here is something to be aware of -- some of the programming cables have a clearance issue with the UV-5R because the jacks on the side of the radio are not in the center of the recess. The cable looks like its plugged in OK, but it isn't. Using a deburring wheel on a bench grinder, I beveled one side of connector housing so it had plenty of clearance.

LITTLEC
12-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Is any way you could send the windows 7 drivers to me please, and I have the UV5R radio and thanks email is

cperkinson9@gmail.com
Thanks

KF9AQ
12-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi....I was able to download the BFB293 version for my ht alongf with the correct driver I believe. When I open the UV-5R VIP program it does come up to main menu but stops with a popup window looking like "??????????????? 1024 x 768. I try to cancel but will not..I have to cancel via the task manager. Using Windows 7 version.. Something to do with resolution, but changed it to no avail..Any body have ideas??

Thanks,

Kevin G.
KF9AQ

AE7XQ
12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I understand that the cross-platform program "Chirp" also works with the UV-5R. I have it on Linux and am waiting for the cable to arrive.

LMLAMB
12-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Mike,

Can I get copies of the programming software for the UV5R as well?

lmlamb@windmill-sbs.com

73!

Larry

N9RUT
01-03-2013, 12:09 AM
i have a Baofeng uv 5r how do you save the channel list on the Baofeng software
can some one help me
James N9RUT

K0RGR
01-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Gack... I've been programming my two Wouxuns for a long time, but I have run into many issues with the Prolific chip set drivers. I bought a Wouxn KGUV3D from HRO as a late present for my brother. I decided I would try to program it using the repeater list I have programmed into my KGUV1D. Now, I knew in advance that I did not want to just try loading the saved list from the UV1D in the UV3D because their internal code is different, and you will 'brick' the radio that way. But I could not find any way to copy the repeater info using the standard Powerwerx KGUV3D software.

The Powerwerx Prolific chip set was not compatible with the wouxun.us Prolific chip set, so I removed the original driver and replaced it with the one from Powerwerx. I managed to get it to work, but it took some doing. I ended up manually programming in some channels. I then tried to go back to the driver for the wouxun.us cable - no go. Now neither of them works. I'm expecting to get a Baofeng UV5R. I think I will wait for it to get here before I try to figure it out. My brother can install the Powerwerx stuff on his own computer and manually key in everything.

In a word - Prolific sucks. I want to get an RS232 to Kenwood programming cable so I can use the non-Prolific USB converters. But, HRO didn't have one. I have some FTDI USB converters that I use for everything else, with no issues. Yes, I'm aware that Prolific claims their chips have been pirated, and they are not to blame for the problems.

WB5YDA
01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
You can also use software called CHIRP to program with.

KD8TUD
01-11-2013, 04:30 AM
I'm looking for my first ham radio and I found the baofeng-uv-5r on amazon. Is it as good as everyone says it is and what extras are recommended for it?

KK6BUU
01-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Was my first as well. Standard recs are the 3.79 antenna mod and an alkaline back or 12V back. Great value as long as you can preset it with software as its not intuitive to do manually. Do a google search and join the yahoo group if nclined. 73s!

KA3ZOS
02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I accumulated two Amazon Gift Cards, so I ended up buying a Baofeng UV-5R, and the USB Programming cable. This is a complete dis-appointment. I have several other "Name Brand" Radios that I can program via a PC Computer, and I've never had much difficulty. After looking around on the internet, I see many people have had problems with the "USB-Serial" programming cable. I would very much like to order the Standard "serial" cable, and see if it would work. I notice the programming steps are very similar to Wouxon Radios. A friend bought one of those, and I think He's been able to talk on it twice, successfully.

K3KL
02-08-2013, 12:25 AM

Randy - N2CUA

This is the exact problem I'm having with XP. I hit "write" and get the "connecting to transciever" prompt then I get "fail to connect with transciever" with the yellow triangle and the exclaimation point in it? Anybody want to guess what this might be? Thanks (ps, I'm about as computer illiterate as one can get). Kurt

K3KL
02-08-2013, 01:13 AM
This is the exact problem I'm having with XP. I hit "write" and get the "connecting to transciever" prompt then I get "fail to connect with transciever" with the yellow triangle and the exclaimation point in it? Anybody want to guess what this might be? Thanks (ps, I'm about as computer illiterate as one can get). Kurt

Additional information: The driver I have installed is 2.0.2.1.

K3KL
02-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Additional information: The driver I have installed is 2.0.2.1.

Radio Model BFB-297

K3KL
02-10-2013, 04:22 AM
Disregard my previous posts everyone, I just downloaded CHIRP. Should have done this first and saved myself hours of frustration! It works wonderfully!!!

KC8TMV
02-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Paul and Tom,

73s
Mike
W5RKL

Mike, could I bother you for that driver too? KC8TMV (at) one (dot) net

KC8TMV
02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=W5RKL;2516813]Paul and Tom,

73s
Mike
W5RKL[/QUOTE

Can you send me the programming software as well I am having problems finding software that will work with my computer windows 7 64 bit. kkellyemt at gmail.com

I would appreciate the Win7 64 bit dirver as well if possible - KC8TMV (at) one.net

CUSTOMKNG05
02-21-2013, 08:16 PM
i would very much like that link if i could get it please
customkng05yahoo.com
kk4nor

KD0TXD
03-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Purchased a Bao Feng uv5re ht and I've spent a better part of the week trying to figure out how too program this radio. I've downloaded Chirp and haven't a clue as to how to use the program? I've been on the web looking for an answer that everyone seems to need. Some it works for, others it doesn't. I got my ticket in Dec 2012 and so you know where I'm at. The BFB is 295 and I can't find anything that close let alone know what this means??? Can anyone help me??? donfox_2000@yahoo.com

K8ERV
03-18-2013, 01:22 AM
I don't use a computer to pgm, but I sent you my manual cheat sheet. I like to be able to change things in the
field where I would not have a computer so I think it is good to know manual programming.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WU5S
03-28-2013, 08:17 PM

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Also having trouble getting my Computer to find my radio (BAOFENG UV5R). I'm sure I need the right driver.. I'm using Windows XP. Thanks in advance for the help.
Willie (WU5S)

Email: wjrobins@suddenlink.net

94IUOE
04-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Hi Eddie, I just joined here, and haven't even gotten my call sign yet, but I just bought the 5R+ and had lots of problems installing the VIP software. I also kept getting a com port error every time I plugged the cable into an open usb port. The strangest thing, I have a 8 hub usb port, so I tried plugging the cable into one of the open ports on my hub, and VOILA!! It read it first time, and I didn't have to change anything setting in the program or my radio. I programmed about 10 inputs with all the info, and transferred everything to my radio. The only problems I'm having now is saving everything into a dat file. it keeps telling me "Store the file name is NULLITY" Whatever the hell that means..haha Anyway if you have your puter hooked into a usb hub, try that.

VE3LQV
04-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I have the same problem with win 7 , it works great on windows XP

VE3LQV

KD8POH
05-07-2013, 01:35 AM
I have been using CHIRP and the driver to program the UV-5R successfully on Windows 7. Have you tried using "XP Mode" and running the software?

This may be helpful:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

As some others have mentioned, it's also not really that hard to program the UV-5R manually, once you get the hang of it. Some step-by-step instructions:
UV-5R Programming (http://uv5r.net/uv-5r-programming/)

Hope this helps - 73s - Ben, KD8POH

K8ERV
05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Ben: Looks like a most useful site. You did a good job with the Freq Mode programming, hope you will add similar for
the unusual Channel Mode instructions.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K6SRP
06-22-2013, 08:10 PM
You may also want to check out this site, there's a ton of info and help there too :)
http://baofenghelp.com

~Steve~

AC9HP
06-26-2013, 01:50 PM
I have the UV-5RAX+

I purchased it without a programming cable. I read stuff online and it sounded like it would be hard to program. Since I had zero dollars and lots of time I just googled how to program and found some guides.

As a new Ham the things that had to figure out was what a frequency shift was and what an offset meant.

Once I had that down it wasn't hard. However with the Baofeng at least when you program the receive frequency for most repeaters you then have to change the frequency to the offset frequency for the transmit frequency. that isn't really explained anywhere and even it wasn't it would be hard as a new ham to understand.

Now that I know how program it I don't know that I will purchase the cable.. I could see how it might be nice if I travel often and want to update everything often but I live and work in the same area so my 20-25 channels is enough.

I have thought about getting a second baofeng to program other less used frequencies on to act as a "scanner". they are certainly cheap enough.

WP4SE
06-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Saludos: Primero Tienes que saber cual Version Tiene El Radio, Con el # 3 Presionado Prende el Radio y Tedira la Version y esa es la que vas a usar.

K3NXU
07-10-2013, 03:15 AM
If you're having difficulty with your programming cable, drivers or software, take a look at http://www.miklor.com
It's a website dedicated to the UV5R.

John K3NXU
http://www.miklor.com
http://www.miklor.com/UV82

K6JE
08-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Mike: Would you kindly email me a copy also for the UV 5R. Using Win 7/ 64 bit
Tnx, 73
K6JE <jwong@redshift.com>

K3NXU
08-26-2013, 01:30 AM
The Prolific Windows Drivers for the UV5R, they can be found at http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ under Drivers and USB Cables.
The factory software and CHIRP can be found in the software section.
Hope this helps…
John K3NXU

K3NXU
08-27-2013, 11:37 AM
I recently added the Baofeng UV-3R to the Miklor website http://www.miklor.com

These, as well as Wouxum and Kenwood share the same Cable, Driver and Software concerns.

Hope this helps... Enjoy your new toy

John K3NXU

VK3BSF
08-29-2013, 01:41 AM
HI Mike..I have just got a UV-%R and having probs with PC loading..would like the file if u can send via e-mail to
cpfrederick@optusnet.com.au
Regards and mni tnx
Peter

73s
Mike
W5RKL

KF5VYH
08-29-2013, 01:48 AM
I have the same radio and had issues with the programming cable. I ended up trying on several different versions of windows -- it finally worked on the Windows 7 just fine. I also upgraded to using CHIRP programming software which was much easier to use than the Baofeng software. It is available free on the internet.

ad: SteppIR-1