PDA

View Full Version : YouTube Temp File Location

KA9JLM
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Can someone please tell me where the YouTube files are when you view a Video ?

Hard drive temp file location ?

Computer running Win Vista, and Firefox.

Thank You.

K8ERV
03-18-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't think they are saved on your computer. I mark (select) the URL on the top line, copy, paste to a wordpad RTF where it becomes a hot link for viewing later.

Maybe someone knows a better way.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

N4IAG
03-19-2012, 12:56 AM
There are many Firefox add-ons that let you save a youtube vid to your hard drive, if that is your goal.

One of the most popular is Video DownloadHelper:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

KA9JLM
03-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I know that they have been cracking down on the down loader.

They are on the machine, because I can replay them with my internet disconnected.

I do not use Youtube, but was asked about it.

I don't like a downloader because of the viruses (Copyright Tracking) that come with it.

Thanks.

KT1F
03-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I know that they have been cracking down on the down loader.

They are on the machine, because I can replay them with my internet disconnected.

Do you mean that you can go to YouTube, play a video, disconnect from the net and then hit play again?

I just tried it and that works for me too but I don't think there's a file. I think it's just in a memory buffer in your browser or Flash player.

I don't like a downloader because of the viruses (Copyright Tracking) that come with it.

I doubt if there's much to worry about. If the downloader is done well, YouTube shouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and playing a stream. If there's copyright material on YouTube then the owner tells YouTube about it and it gets removed. It's hardly the same crime as downloading a pirate movie via a peer to peer network.

N0WUE
03-19-2012, 05:40 AM
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/ works for me

KA9JLM
03-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Do you mean that you can go to YouTube, play a video, disconnect from the net and then hit play again?

I just tried it and that works for me too but I don't think there's a file. I think it's just in a memory buffer in your browser or Flash player.

Yes, You could be correct about it being in Memory. But hitting replay it seems to be reading from the hard drive. Could be in the virtual memory swap file even.

At one time I found the files in XP, But Vista is not the same.

I guess the downloader may be the best way to go.

Thanks All.

KA7O
03-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Dunno 'bout Windows, but I do know on Linux the files are stored in /tmp.

You can just rename them before closing the browser/going to another page - after they've downloaded completely. Once you've renamed it, the player looses track of it and can't delete it. Move to my /home/<user>/Videos directory for future, offline viewing.

VLC plays 'em nice.

KA9VQF
03-20-2012, 09:25 PM
I use Real Player to download things from youtube then save them in iTunes and Windows Media Player.

I can then burn them to disk.

ad: w5yi