View Full Version : Kenwood TM 2570 Volume/switch control............Obsolete.

02-01-2012, 08:02 AM
I have a 2570 with several upgrades and the volume control has failed...cleaning didn't help. I called Kenwood and parts are no longer available for this radio. Does anyone have a referral for a supplier that stocks parts....or should I look for a parts rig? Thanks, appreciate your help. 73

02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Ran into this problem before with another Kenwood. I think it was the TR-751A. It has the same volume/squelch control. The best advice is from W9GB.
When these radio controls are no longer available (from Kenwood Parts),
such as your Kenwood TR-751 Volume; Squelch control w/ switch function (power),

You need to determine the following:

1. The Big 3 (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu) -- traditionally use Japanese (or Eastern Asia) component mfg.
Determine mfg. and part numbers -- by reading ANY marking present.

2. It is not uncommon to find identical parts used on other radios (same mfg, different mfg.)

3. For a control pot, you need to determine IF these are AUDIO or LINEAR taper.
A Volume control is usually AUDIO taper, while the Squelch control is usually LINEAR taper.

4. IF you substitute a different mfg., such as CTS -- then measurements are KEY.
USA made parts will be English and Metric, while majority of Big 3 eastern Asia parts are all METRIC.

5. It is possible to repair some of these control pots, that do not use conductive plastic.
Again, parts from control pots by the same mfg. are invaluable in this DIY repair approach (don't need to be same value).

6. Scour the surplus outlets for Japanese / Eastern Asia parts. Many resellers in Hong Kong are doing this today,
and selling parts and assemblies via eBay.

w9gb .
The control you want appears to be a 10K/50K dual pot. The 10K section is an audio taper and the 50K is a linear taper. You also need a switch on it. I did find a 25K/50K that may work but it probably wouldn't fit. It also didn't have a switch on it.
The best advice is to look for a parts radio or wait for the part to show up on eBay.

Hope this helps

02-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Don't rule out the junked consumer AM/FM radios, audio systems or TVs.

Large electronics distributors or retailers that still repair these items .. will have inventory.
I have found exact matches through these non-amateur radio outlets.

The switch, depending on design, may be an "add-on" that can be reused on new control.

NKK Switch is one such Eastern Asia mfg.
Fry's Electornics stores carry some of their inventory


02-05-2012, 02:06 AM
NKK Switch is one such Eastern Asia mfg.
Fry's Electornics stores carry some of their inventory

The Kenwood part is an Alps. I have a whole box of 2550/2570/3530s which are in need of volume pots. Shame on Kenwood for selecting such a failure-prone component.

02-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Really appreciate the input...I don't want to trash this radio...no matter what Kenwood wants. Thank again....73, John

02-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Here is the ALPS web page

BTW --- ALWAYS Look at the large surplus resellers: Jameco (California), ESI (Cleveland), etc.
You often find the exact part, used by someone else -- and they surplused the production inventory (after ending a specific model).


02-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Try getting in contact with KF4UJX he may have a source for the pot. My ancient but still operational Icom IC28H has a mostly dead squelch pot. It only quiets the radio in 1 very very tiny spot. Its a combo squelch pot with a push button to open the squelch. He quoted me around 50.00 to replace it.