PDA

View Full Version : Scam victim

HI8SMX
01-03-2012, 03:28 AM
I was scammed by Terry Larson because I didn't do my homework and now I am doubtful to buy stuff based on these forums. Do yo have recommendations or ideas on how I can check on a seller to see if it is real or not?

I don't want to offend honest hams by doubting them but I don't want to be ripped of again.

Advices?

KD5SPJ
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
That's a tough call there. I guess you can check out their call with their real address or at least if it is in the same country. IE: someone tells you to send payment to them at an address and if it's out of the US or in a different state compared to their addy listed on ARRL or here then make a determination based on that. Or ask for references here. Or Google their name or call and see if anything bad pops up. There are usually other red flags like inconstant English or all caps or many other red flags as well. I constantly get scam offers for my for sale ger from here and can always seem to tell.

K8ERV
01-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I have a list (unfortunately rather large) of hams who have been reported as a bit doubtful. I will send it by email on request.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

HI8SMX
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
That list will be great, you can send it to hi8smx@yahoo.com
And yes there are many fakes with inconsistency on the language and the email address.

something I do now (after I was scammed unfortunately) is ask the seller multiple question on the item they are selling me, not only for pictures, but also how they were using it, with which other equipments, which set up they had, etc...because only a real ham could give a believable answer to specific questions like these.

Hope nobody else gets robbed, is not a nice feeling!

M3ONL
01-11-2012, 09:52 PM
That list will be great, you can send it to hi8smx@yahoo.com
And yes there are many fakes with inconsistency on the language and the email address.

something I do now (after I was scammed unfortunately) is ask the seller multiple question on the item they are selling me, not only for pictures, but also how they were using it, with which other equipments, which set up they had, etc...because only a real ham could give a believable answer to specific questions like these.

Hope nobody else gets robbed, is not a nice feeling!

When purchasing an item online from private seller requests a pic of the item but ask the seller to include an item of your choice in the pic, such as a card with date and time written on or maybe an unusual request such as a coffee cup with a rolled up newspaper stood inside nxt to the item being sold.....unusual requests i know but should prove that seller has actually got the item in his possesion..

KW4HKY
01-12-2012, 03:33 AM
I never consider a transaction until I check the database for a name and address, and INSIST on a phone number. Do a reverse lookup on the number and see if it matches the address. If all that matches, CALL them and talk a while.

You might just want to buy new. 99% of the adds on here are only 5% less than new. Who in their right mind would get up a warranty for that tiny amount of savings.

KG4VDZ
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Always check that the call matches the address here on qrz and search the forums to see if they had had any other deals always use a postal or Walmart money order the ones at Walmart have a customer service number and you can stop payment on it if anything goes wrong and the post office can do the same and you can always call the local police in the sellers area if you dont receive your item as it is fraud and most all police departments have investigators that will go to the address where you sent the funds and see why your not receiving your item. i once bought a cross bow on ebay over 400 bucks after two weeks no bow no email no call nothing seller would not contact me back the seller didnt have paypal they had a merchant account that you could pay with credit or debit card i could have called the card company and had it disputed but instead i called the local police in his area and they let me talk to the internet fraud investigator he went to the sellers house and spoke with him as to why im not receiving my item to make the story short i got my bow in 4 days i have bought lots of items on qrz and have not had a problem yet most hams are honest and i know some are not but most are just check things out first 73's kg4vdz

WA3VZK
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Has anyone had problems using Paypal???

ad: CQP123-1