PDA

View Full Version : QRZ Classified Scams Are Out of Control!

WB0VHB
12-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I posted a WTB for a Kenwood HF rig last week. What an eye opening experience!!!

Every single reply was a scam! Not one legitimate email! It appears all the emails came from Nigeria. No surprise.

Be sure to view the email header information of any email regarding the buying or selling of gear posted on this web site. It is easy to do a IP search to determine what location the email originated from.

Also know the product you are buying or selling. The rig I wanted to buy hasn't been made in years. However the seller said he was the original owner and bought it last June! Red flag!

Bottom line, ask lots and lots of questions and investigate the person selling the gear. I now treat every email as a scam until the seller can prove otherwise.

Ebay is not looking so bad after all. There you have a selling history to go by. And if using Pay Pal (instead of Western Union) you have their buyer protection to fall back on.

73's
Randy
WB0VHB

N4XTS
12-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Ebay is worse. Absurd listing fees, jacked up FVF's (EVEN ON SHIPPING CHARGES), Payfraud fees...seller protection? Ha ha, scamming turd can send back a box o' rocks- so long as they use signature confirmation, PP rules in THEIR favor, they get your money AND the item. Been there, done that.
Feedback? Seriously? What a rigged joke. No longer can SELLERS warn others of BUM BIDDING SCUMBAGS, one sided joke of a feedback forum, and buyers can easily leave you a negative that Ebay won't remove even if it's for malicious reasons (like not taking an item back after 60 days).

I've never gotten hosed on here or other Internet trading forums (Batlabs). Key is to do your research. Ask your trading partner for references. Get a phone number. Call them. Any of these Nigerian gutter scum won't do that, they'll quickly go away. Any decent ham will have feedback, Google is your friend!

I don't get these spam emails either, or Gmail does well to block them. Every single piece o' gear I've bought or sold on this forum has been top notch, and painless, not to mention a GREAT DEAL. I bought an FT-8800 two years ago from a ham in Nevada for $225 shipped. Mint condition with remote kit. Go to brokenstolencounterfeitradios.com aka Ebay and idiots are asking 375 for USED 8800's when you go right over to HRO and buy one NEW for 419. Recently got a minty fresh VX-6 off the forum for 225 complete with rapid charger, swivel clip, and heavy duty nylon carry case. Again, sucker price on EPAY is more than this- for some well worn beat up modded POS.

Most hams are honorable, decent people. The few freak nutcases speak for themselves. This forum is great, FREE and if people just used COMMON SENSE in doing a little background on folks they would save themselves much headache and keep the good karma coming.

Ebay is an evil garbage dump of greed, prices are grossly inflated and the venue isn't all that great.

WD5JOY
12-16-2011, 01:17 AM
E-Bay rates zero on my scale of 1 -1000! Lost a great HT to a scam-job. Buyer said it was not as advertised even though I had detailed pictures. Also pics when packed - double box - bubble wrap - all the safety precautions. He said it was broken, old, scratched and no battery. Lies. Then he sent back JUST THAT - a junk rig - not mine. Having the serial number did zero with E-Bay or PayYourPals. I lost the HT and the money. Sickens me to think of scam jobs running wild. "Power Sellers" sell VHF amps all day long; Joe Licensed Amateur no-can-do; they yank it when a complaint is filed. Probably by "Power Sellers" who are selling Italian or some such manufacture amps. A lot of ROT!

AB1M
12-16-2011, 09:32 PM
There is a ups store down ths streets from me. When I ship through them, I just put the item on the counter. They,weigh,measure,pack & ship. Start using that service the buyer pays S&H.

I often bring the item in advance to get an estimate for S&H before I post.

73 de ab1m.

AF6LJ
12-16-2011, 10:20 PM
I have bought and sold on The Zed it is by far better than E-Bay.

KA9MOT
12-18-2011, 08:18 AM
I have bought and sold on The Zed it is by far better than E-Bay.

Agreed!

And Hello Randy WBVHB! I haven't spoken to you since I left Monmouth. Thanks for all the repeaters and APRS digipeters.

KA3YLY
12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I guess ebay is different for for different people I have been selling and buying on ebay for 10years and only once was I dissappointed with what I bought and only twice did I get taken buy buyers the loss was very minimal. I limit the cost of what I will spend on ebay in otherwords I might buy something listed under 200 dollars but I will never spend 300 or more for any item on ebay I will look locally for such an item. In several instances I received more than I thought I would ever get for an item.

KJ6EZQ
12-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Yeah, Ebay is not so great. People use fake accounts to inflate their seller rating, making the whole system useless.

KD4MOJ
12-19-2011, 01:08 PM
The only problem with UPS Stores is the expensive charge for packing. I had some antennas for sale, didn't have the correct size box. Took it to the UPS Store, they charged 14.95 for packing and the box. Then 12.50 to ship. All for a $50 sale. Had two potential buyers back out after quoting the shipping charge.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

KE4YOG
12-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Either the scammers are not doing their job or taking Christmas off or something. I posted a wanted add and did not get the general I have the item out for sale. It in goodly working order. Please e-mail me so we can set price. I only do Western Union.

WA4LZC
12-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I agree that the ZED is much better than fleabay........

W9ASS
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Is there a big problem with buying gear on this site? You'd think that hams would have an unspoken code of honor to not screw over another fellow ham in any way....

I was considering purchasing a dual-band mobile on here, but now I have to wonder...Has there been any recent, memorable examples of anyone getting scammed or robbed for a radio? I'm sure these are probably few and far between, but I have to be careful, right?

KA9MOT
01-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Is there a big problem with buying gear on this site? You'd think that hams would have an unspoken code of honor to not screw over another fellow ham in any way....

I was considering purchasing a dual-band mobile on here, but now I have to wonder...Has there been any recent, memorable examples of anyone getting scammed or robbed for a radio? I'm sure these are probably few and far between, but I have to be careful, right?

It is rare and easily foiled. DO your research. Google the sellers call sign, you'll see if there have been any problems in the past. Ask your seller for references. Try to talk to your seller on the phone. Never send any money via Western Union....

The best thing you can do is trust your gut. If it is too good to be true, it is.

KD4LYH
01-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I have bought and sold gear on this site and qth without any problems. I just do things different. If and when I offer an item for sale I wont ship most items like radios or amps. I insist that the buyer comes and see what they are buying, ask any questions, try out the equipment ect. I consider myself an honest ham. I just dont like to ship heavier items. There still alot of honest hams left in the world.

Jeff KD4LYH

AD6KA
01-11-2012, 04:09 AM
Blaming the site where you hooked up with the scammer
is like blaming the bar where you met a woman who
gave you the clap.

KF5FEI
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Blaming the site where you hooked up with the scammer
is like blaming the bar where you met a woman who
gave you the clap.

You can't blame the bar if she turns out to be ugly or underage, either.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I approach every transaction like the seller is trying to rip me off. If I get the willies during the negotiation, I move on. Sometimes I lose out on a good deal -- but it's better than getting scammed.

KK4BNO
02-22-2012, 09:04 PM
I have to say first that the communication here on this forum to keep people aware of what is going on with the scammers is wonderful and so are the tips to avoid being ripped off. The people that go as far as to notify unaware hams that their callsigns are being used by scammers, I applaud. I would do the same if I was in the position.

However, I have been a ham almost a year and I have not yet gotten HF gear because the scams with used gear scare me. I have a tight budget like many new hams and I just cannot buy new..or finance anything new. It shocked me to see this section of the forum when I started looking for a 2m HT. I do not mind checking email headers or whatnot to weed out the scammers or asking for pictures etc... I have an issue with the possibility of my callsign and name dragged through the mud because a few scammers saw it amongst their trolls and added it to their list of people to pose as in the future. Makes me sick that hams are essentially becoming identity theft victims when it comes to posting want or sale ads.. Ebay is nice to look at but impractical because the auction style means I usually won't be able to afford it at auctions end anyway. Not to mention the scams that run rampant with them and that buyer protection does not really protect you, just not really encouraging. I actually came close to posting something on here a few months back when I got my general and at the last second decided against it and deleted the whole thing before posting because I just did not know if it was worth it to get a bunch of Nigerians beating down my inbox to "sell" me cheap cw gear..

Makes me feel bad that I essentially lumped everyone into a "unable to trust" category before I even saw what would come of my posting. Sad that we have to deal with this kind of thing and how it only gets worse over time. It makes me wonder just how far it will go... So, again it is a very good thing that we have people who do keep a lookout and keep others aware. With all that going on you would think scammers would figure not to troll here because we are onto them but time will tell I guess.

ad: udcsys-1