View Full Version : TS 450 Antenna Tuner Inop
My TS 450sat antenna tuner quit working. I get a cw (check) when when I press Tune I had a tech look at it and he said an irreplaceable part that was no longer available burned out. It still transmits and receives as good as ever. Help!
12-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Did he say which part that was burnt out?
One option you have is to use a manual or an external automatic antenna tuner. That will give you the capability to match your transmit for a good SWR. Manual tuners are really not that bad and once you have found the proper tuning point for the bands you want to operate. You can make a chart and just put your tuner on those settings and you are ready to go. There will be some touch up needed on the lower bands like 160, 80/75 and maybe 40.
Hope this helps
P.S. The other option is to get a parts TS-450SAT and hope the antenna tuner in it works. Then change out the boards that control the tuner.
The part # is YM6631 IC if that helps.
12-07-2011, 01:15 AM
I would get a second opinion somewhere else. There is not one of those in the tuner. It is a DDS IC used in the Carrier unit
12-07-2011, 03:53 AM
I don't recall that part being in the antenna tuner portion. There must be something else that is wrong. I've checked on most all of the semi-conductors, that are in the antenna tuner section, and they are still available. It may be possible that you are not putting out a carrier when you key the tune function. If that's the case then perhaps that YM6631 could be a problem. Having looked through the postings on the internet it appears the YM6631 is a common failure. I did find one place that said they have them but I didn't get any more information.
Hope this helps
12-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Some so called "Techs" talk a lot of crap.
Strangely enough,they seem to get away with it for years.
I would definitely second the suggestion that you should get a second opinion!
12-07-2011, 02:31 PM
My older TS-440SAT had a similar symptom: the CW LED turned on, but the servo motors controlling the ATU just weren't budging. I was fortunate that my issue was more "mechanical: for lack of a better term... I opened the cover and carefully "jiggled" the gears with a small flat blade screwdriver. Hardly a scientific fix, I admit. And... Pretty darn lucky for me. I was actually amazed it started working again.. If it happens again, then my solution will be to just purchase an external ATU from LDG or similar and run the bypass option on the transceiver. You can use the external ATU with your next rig, or other rigs, in your shack.