PDA

View Full Version : Johnson Viking Messenger One to 10 meters

W5RKL
11-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Afternoon everyone.

I recently converted/moved a Johnson Viking Messenger One (White Face) 11 meter 5 channel transceiver to 10 meters (see my bio on the zed). The transceiver works quite well with 7 watts output
at 29.0Mhz.

I have another Johnson Viking Messenger One that I would like to do the same with but I need some parts. If anyone has an old Johnson Viking Messenger One (White Face), even if it doesn't work but the coils
on the bottom are in good condition (not overheated/shorted, or broken).A Messenger II (Black Face) will also have the parts I need as well. If anyone has either of these transceivers they would be willing to sell
for parts, please let me know.

Thanks and 73s
Mike

K9STH
11-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Johnson actually sold the Messenger I already tuned to 10-meters for amateur radio operation.

Kinda like the Heath CB-1 which was sold with silk-screening on the front panel for 10-meters instead of the 11-meter band. Heath called this radio a "Tener". Otherwise, the same basic circuitry.

Glen, K9STH

W5RKL
11-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Yes, that's true. The Johnson Messenger 10 came before the 11 meter Johnson Messenger One (White Face). The 10 meter Johnson
Messenger 10 had approximately 10 watts output (per Johnson's advertisement) where the 11 meter Johnson Messenger One had
approximately 2.5 watts output.

The Messenger 10 and Messenger One circuitry is the basically the same with one exception. The 11 meter Messenger One contained
a 3900 ohm 10 watt resistor in series with the final amplifier's screen and plate voltage. The 3900 ohm 10 watt resistor was not used
in 10 meter Messenger 10.

The coil I need is designated "L5" or "L7" in the Messenger One schematic. L5 and L7 are the same coil, same part number, same diameter,
same number of windings (21 turns), and same inductance. I can use either coil to replace L7 in my Messenger One. L5 is the transmit
crystal oscillator coil and L7 is the oscillator output and final amplifier grid input tank coil.

The problem with L7 in my transceiver is the metal cap feet are broken which make the coil very loose when mounted in the chassis.
The broken feet also prevent adjusting the coil. This coil is the same in the Messenger II as well so either model radio will have this coil.

73s
Mike

ad: rfparts