PDA

View Full Version : Someone using Alex M3ASR's callsign

K2TY
10-15-2011, 01:30 PM
I placed an ad requesting to buy a MicroTrak TinyTrak 4 (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?316305-Micro-Trak-TinyTrak4&highlight=tiny+trak)

I received a reply from from a gentleman claiming to be Alex Reobuck

from Alex Reobuck m3asr07@blumail.org
to [Offline] steve.ickes@gmail.com
date Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM
subject Micro-Trak TinyTrak4
mailed-by blumail.org

hide details Oct 14 (1 day ago)

I have for sale Micro-Trak TinyTrak4 in mint condition. Please get
back to me on mail if you still interested.

Thanks,
Alex Reobuck
Callsign:M3ASR

I was skeptical of his integrity and in the past have asked suspected scammers simple questions that they could not answer. So I inquired "Tell me Alex, which firmware version is it? " And his response was actually reasonable.

from Alex Reobuck m3asr07@blumail.org
to [Offline] Steve Ickes <steve.ickes@gmail.com>
date Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 3:42 AM
subject Re: Micro-Trak TinyTrak4
mailed-by blumail.org
Important mainly because it was sent directly to you.

hide details 3:42 AM (4 hours ago)

Mine Is TT4 cofig version 1.0.

Alex.

I still had a nagging suspicion that he was a scammer, because who would care to ship such an inexpensive item overseas? I was reluctant to call an Englishman out on his poor spelling and grammar. So I began to investigate his QRZ profile page and email address. When I noticed that the email address on his QRZ profile page was different than the one he replied from I sent another inquiry to the email address in his profile. It bounced immediately. A Google search of his call yielded almost nothing which is odd in itself. A Google search of the email address (m3asr07@blumail.org) also yielded nothing. However a search using the terms "blumail.org" reveals that scammers use that free web based email service on a regular basis. My suspicions confirmed, I also noted that in his first email his signature contained his full name and call. In his second, just his first name. Who changes their signature from email to email? Perhaps someone who is running multiple accounts. What originally made me suspicious was that he was trying to sell me a relatively inexpensive item and ship it from overseas (and having heard of scammers using English callsigns). His failing to name a price in two emails was just too odd to ignore. And all the other inconsistencies contributed to my skepticism but the one glaring piece of evidence that I failed to catch initially - he misspelled his own name.

QRZ:

M3ASR
Alex Roebuck
Marsden Road
Blackpool
England

ad: giga-rw