PDA

View Full Version : Examples of RTTY QSO's

W2PSK
09-21-2011, 09:56 PM
I have been active on 10m PSK31 for a few months now and I want to try out 10m RTTY as well, but from what I understand, the exchanges there are a bit different than on psk-31. I was wondering if there was a good website that shows sample RTTY QSO's so I can get an idea how to set up my macros and what to expect from it.

AB1OD
09-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I have been active on 10m PSK31 for a few months now and I want to try out 10m RTTY as well, but from what I understand, the exchanges there are a bit different than on psk-31. I was wondering if there was a good website that shows sample RTTY QSO's so I can get an idea how to set up my macros and what to expect from it.

Outside of contests, DX-pileups, or similar quick-fire-5NN-and-move-on contacts, you shouldn't need a macro.

Admittedly I've only dabbled with RTTY, but I got comfortable on the syntax by eavesdropping on a few ragchews. I think the only macros I've used in ragchew mode have been "TX", "RX" and "Him" (turn on the signal and send a carriage return; send a carriage return turn off the signal; and spare me from fumbling an unfamiliar callsign).

And the contacts where the other party was just using PSK macros...well, given that RTTY is a slower mode, PSK macros just lead to transmissions that feel painfully long. Macros in PSK don't bother me as much as some people...but in RTTY those same macros really feel wrong.

I did set up some abridged macros (e.g. "OP ES MIKE MIKE. QTH CONNECTICUT. RIG ES IC7000....") before I knew better. I keep them around out of an odd compulsive desire to have my function keys in MixW and HRD do the same things regardless of mode. But in practice, they aren't needed.

KL7AJ
09-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Keep in mind there are no lower case letters in RTTY, so PSK31` folks might think you're yelling! :)

\Eric

G0GQK
09-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Now now ! My experience of seeing RTTY operators is that they give very little away, it amazes me they get any pleasure. Some do show their long experience, they always have a quick bash of RYRYRYRY then send G4***G4***G4***G4*** 599 599 599 BK
pick up a call send 73 and then do it all over again.
There is also someone who will do it on the PSK frequency because they've been asked if they'll do a quick over. That's all there is to it

K5KF
09-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Just coming back into ham radio after three decades of minimal operation.
RTTY back in the 70's was so much fun. The fun was collecting gear that would look like a NASA ground station, and making it all work together without any computers. The fun was watching a Kleinschmidt jump around on the table with a syncopated beat from a rtty signal intended to make "music". The fun was punching and playing paper tape. The fun was building one's own demodulator/modulator from a design printed in QST using torroids and NE555 chips. (it worked!) Nobody complained about RYRYRYRY; just having a station that actually worked was good and there weren't so many of us.
I just bought a new WinRadio GR305 and am learning how to use it. It's phenomenal. The filtering (IF and AF) can isolate an RTTY signal from all the noise like nothing I ever had before. Naturally, I went looking for RTTY in the ham bands. Astonished at the number of signals on 20M last night. Next step, obtain software so I can participate in the new fun. Step after that, I'm thinking a Flex-5000A will make me happy.

Ken

G0GQK
09-25-2011, 09:59 PM
There were some hundreds of examples of RTTY contacts this weekend. And they call it ham radio !

W2PSK
09-26-2011, 12:07 AM
There were some hundreds of examples of RTTY contacts this weekend. And they call it ham radio !

Yup. First time I've heard anyone using RTTY on 10 meters. Of course, many operators were well outside of the bandplan of 28.080 - 28.100 for RTTY.

N1ESE
09-26-2011, 05:35 AM
The best resource for new RTTY operators is AA5AU's, Don Hill, fine website. He's been a RTTY addict for years and was instrumental to helping me make my first RTTY contacts back in 2006.

Link: http://aa5au.com/rtty.html

K5KF
09-26-2011, 02:00 PM
The best resource for new RTTY operators is AA5AU's, Don Hill, fine website. He's been a RTTY addict for years and was instrumental to helping me make my first RTTY contacts back in 2006.

My goal at this point is to be able to copy tty with my Winradio. Tuning in the transmissions is easy and the audio is coming out of my computer sound card speakers. After reading the first pages of aa5au's excellent site, I'm wondering how I get the audio that's coming OUT of my sound card to be present at the sound card's input. I suppose I could plug in a mic and place it in front of one of the speakers, but I'd like a cleaner solution. I wonder how people that use SDR get the audio back into the computer.

N1ESE
09-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I wonder how people that use SDR get the audio back into the computer.
They use a "Virtual Audio Cable" or multiple soundcards (I have three soundcards in my shack rig). There are many virtual audio cables out there, Winradio even has they own version of a virtual soundcard. Link: http://www.winradio.com/home/vsc.htm

WA6MHZ
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM

I heard him many times in the contest this weekend! I will check out his website

on edit, he has an excellent tutorial for MMTY, JUST WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!

WG7X
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Yup. First time I've heard anyone using RTTY on 10 meters. Of course, many operators were well outside of the bandplan of 28.080 - 28.100 for RTTY.

Yes, but the popularity of RTTY has increased so much that during contests it tends to expand simply because of the sheer numbers of operators.

That's a simple fact, not confined to ten meters. CW contests have the same problem. RTTY on 15, 20, and 40 was also way out of the expected areas. 40 is an especially difficult case because of the differing allocations in the world.

So, for the few RTTY contests lets just agree that it will spill over a bit. After all, band plans are simply suggestions and do not carry the weight of actual law. From time to time, the band plans go by the wayside.

That's life!

73 Gary

K5KF
09-27-2011, 02:51 AM
They use a "Virtual Audio Cable" or multiple soundcards (I have three soundcards in my shack rig). There are many virtual audio cables out there, Winradio even has they own version of a virtual soundcard. Link: http://www.winradio.com/home/vsc.htm

Bought the software this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

Installed it, but the tutorial wasn't adequate for me to understand how to use. I thought it was misleading. Piddled with it for several hours, off and on. Never could get it do to what I thought the "help" was saying to do.

This evening, I downloaded the rtty software package. To my surprise, I see that it "hears" something from the receiver. So I went to 20M to learn how to tune in and copy. Can't find a single bloomin' signal on 20M. In fact, the entire band seems quiet tonight. Tried 40M. It has plenty of ssb and cw, but not a single rtty. I guess everyone is tired from the weekend.

Ken

VA3KAB
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Some people these days use PSK style exchanges when working RTTY, however most of the "Old timers" prefer faster exchange of info, especially the DX stations. I have three different sets of macros I use for RTTY, one I just use for contests, another for DXPeditions and most RTTY QSO's, and a more verbose set, similar to PSK style. For example the report macro I use looks something like:

"<HIS CALL> TU <HIS RST> <HIS RST> NAME: DAVE DE VA3KAB KN"

But very easy to change it on the fly if the other station wants to be more verbose.

BTW, someone mentioned that RTTY is slower than PSK. It is actually faster than PSK31 but slower than PSK63.

~Dave VA3KAB

ad: wmr-top