PDA

View Full Version : IC-7000 Unreliable?

KC6F
09-11-2011, 05:04 AM
I was reading reviews and postings around the internet of the IC-7000, and I was quite disappointed. Since this radio came out when I finished college and started graduate school, I had been salivating over one for a while. Now that I'll soon have one of those jobs where you get money in exchange for long hours in the office, I wanted to get one really bad.

The IC-7000 looks really impressive on paper. Its sexy, it does 70 cm down to 160 m. It has IF DSP like the IC-756 Pro. But:

1. The DTMF mic can't send DTMF tones, really?
2. The jacks on the back are not stress protected, so any bump to the cable puts the full load on the SMD PCB, seriously?
3. Many, many people report a blown driver stage occurring.
4. The display is hard to read in sunlight since its not a reflective LCD like in the Kenwood TS-480, etc.
5. The tuner jack a shares a pin with the temperature sensor, seriously?
6. The mic jack doesnt have an audio output in the pin, making headsets cumbersome to use?
7. Power output sags considerably when used from a battery. Most car batteries don't put out anything close to 13.8 volts, especially pushing 20 amps.
8. IMD and dynamic range performance was reviewed to be pretty poor by QST.
9. Radio is very sensitive to RFI due to unshielded design for remote mounting cable.
10. There is no automatic power off feature, leading to dead car batteries
11. Complex menu system that makes mobile operation tedious
12. Overheating problems since fan doesn't spin unless you key down
13. eHam rating (4.4/5.0) is pretty poor for a radio that is supposed to have such advanced features and coverage
14. Poor stock mic TX audio unless professionally modded

These are the issues I have gathered.

What gives? I really wanted this rig, but will be going with a TS-480HX instead. Is the IC-7000 really this bad? Some people even talk of a recall being necessary.

ZL1UZM
09-11-2011, 11:26 AM
You got it right. Stay away from it. It looks a magnitude better on paper than operating it in the real world, especially in a mobile, portable situation.
I got rid of mine after 2 months. The FT857 is better, as far as the overall package is concerned.

AB1OD
09-11-2011, 01:25 PM
As an IC7000 owner, I can offer a couple of comments:

1. As is true with so many things in life, everything is a compromise. The IC7000 is a shack in a small box, and so some compromises are necessary.

2. No, you can't send random DTMF tones. You can preset four DTMF sequences. With cellphones significantly reducing the usefulness for autopatch, and IRLP/Echolink seemingly abused more than used....this might not be as big a limitation as you might expect (especially if you're looking at a 480 instead -- is there even a need for DTMF if you don't have 2m or 440?)

3. It does run hot, but it allegedly is designed for that heat. I wouldn't install it anyplace where airflow is constricted, and I frequently keep a fan on it. I also would look to a different rig if you were planning to be key-down for extended periods, or if you are long-winded in your QSO's.

4. Regarding headsets -- it's more cumbersome in that you need to need to plug a headset into both a mic and a speaker jack. I personally haven't found that to be much of a bother.

5. Yes, if you're planning to run off a battery, the 7000 is probably not the best rig for you. This wasn't a concern for me.

6. Menus are cumbersome, but they are a necessary evil in any rig this size. The alternative would be umpteen bazillion buttons and knobs which would have to be incredibly tiny to fit something this small. I use my 7000 at home, but I predominantly control it through Ham Radio Deluxe. If I were operating mobile....well, I question the wisdom of fiddling to fine-tune certain settings while also driving a vehicle. With practice, you get used to them, although there are a couple of settings (TX power, in particular) I wish were easier to access.

7. The stock mic has been changed since the 7000 was first released. The current problem is that the 7000's default settings lead to poor audio. With the current mic, if you take the time to set up the rig properly, you will likely get good audio. I've been complemented for my audio, and the folks complementing me generally are shocked that I'm only using the stock mic (especially with the 7000's prior reputation).

8. Auto power-off would have been a nice addition. Not a concern for me, as I'm not really interested in operating mobile, and because my driver's ed teacher adequately drilled into my head the mantra of "park, brakes, accessories, keys" when stopping a vehicle.

9. Issues that you missed (since you seem to be looking for reasons to justify not getting a 7000):

-- Audio quality from the built-in speaker is lousy; I'm tolerant, but others might not be
-- Squelch doesn't work over a data connection, creating issues for remote operation
-- In certain configurations, the mic doesn't auto-mute when TX-ing data; in other configurations, the 7000 data ports are extremely sensitive
-- The 7000 is a little deaf on VHF/UHF (I haven't personally noticed/had a problem, but it is a complaint I've heard before)
-- While the 7000 has two VFO's, it's not true dual-VFO, making the rig imperfect for split operation, and a poor choice for satellite work
-- While the ability to have a remote display on the video-out port is nifty, resolution of that video is poor -- you don't want to put it up on a big screen
-- No built-in autotuner
-- The S-meter isn't over-inflated the way some other rigs are

The 7000 is not a perfect rig, but I'm not sure there is such a thing at least among new rigs. Admittedly, I've been licensed less than a year, so I don't have a wide array of experience with different transceivers. I picked the 7000 because it seemed to be a good balance among features, price, and size, and I still think that.

If I were shopping today, my priorities would be a little different, and I might have picked a different rig. In particular, I think I overestimated my need for a small shack-in-the-box (it's cool to break my station down into a small computer bag, but I would probably been content with a full size HF transceiver and a 2m rig to the side), I didn't expect to develop an interest in working satellites, and I didn't appreciate the implications of some of the quirks mentioned above. But I do like the filters (since I like working digital and CW), and that when combined with the price point would have kept the 7000 on my short list.

Despite its quirks, I really like my 7000 (and it's served me well -- 127 DX entities so far). But I am saving my pennies to upgrade at some point in the future. When that happens, my 7000 will probably still be around, albeit as a secondary/transportable rig.

ZL1UZM
09-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Excellent analysis! I didn't have the time to get into the details. The rig gets so hot you can literally fry an egg on it. Electronics don't like heat. I question it's long term reliability.

K0BG
09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Here's my take:

1. The DTMF mic can't send DTMF tones, really? For some, this is a draw back. I've owned a 7000 since it came out, and have never needed to send TTs.

2. The jacks on the back are not stress protected, so any bump to the cable puts the full load on the SMD PCB, seriously? The later units have a protective strap across them, so it is not as much of a problem as it used to be. If you use 90 plugs, it isn't an issue.

3. Many, many people report a blown driver stage occurring. I keep hearing this palaver over and over, but the repair data from Icom doesn't support it. What does fail, is the finals primarily due to open coaxial cables, particularly on VHF.

4. The display is hard to read in sunlight since its not a reflective LCD like in the Kenwood TS-480, etc. I have mine mounted face up. While it can be a problem with any LCD display, even an orange one, it isn't a problem for me.

5. The tuner jack a shares a pin with the temperature sensor, seriously? That's not the case at all. One portion of the LSI CPU controls several functions. They include, but not limited to, ALC, final bias, the fan, and the tuner protocol. Every function works just fine, as long as you don't try to use devices made for the 706 on the 7000. Most of the former devices, pull the TKEY line to 13.8 volts typically through a 10k Ω resistor (it is pulled up internally to 3.3 volts through a 1 megΩ resistor). If you do that on a 7000, the CPU can't pull the line low, so the fan doesn't run until the temperature gets too high. While you might fault the design, you also must fault the user.

6. The mic jack doesn't have an audio output in the pin, making headsets cumbersome to use? You can move the solder jumper from one pad to another. This negates the stock HM-151, enables the audio, and allows use of the optional TT microphone. It also allows use of the original Heil Traveler headset which plugged into the microphone jack of the 706.

7. Power output sags considerably when used from a battery. Most car batteries don't put out anything close to 13.8 volts, especially pushing 20 amps. This statement doesn't make sense, as it would be apply to any nominal 12 volt transceiver. Using the stock power cable, with an input of 13.8 volts (Icom's spec), the voltage under full load at the transceiver's power connector is 13.4, or just under the recommended .5 volt drop.

8. IMD and dynamic range performance was reviewed to be pretty poor by QST. And, so are most other transceivers designed to operate at a nominal 12 volts.

9. Radio is very sensitive to RFI due to unshielded design for remote mounting cable. This is not true! Most mobile installations I have seen, are so poor in execution, that common mode is the root cause of 95% of the problems experienced. There is a problem with the longer cable, but it isn't related to RFI.

10. There is no automatic power off feature, leading to dead car batteries. This is incorrect! It is item 6 under the Time Set Mode, and is factory preset at 60 minutes.

11. Complex menu system that makes mobile operation tedious. If you set up the controls correctly, there is no need to ever use the menus. The HM-151, with its two function keys, will satisfy the vast majority of users.

12. Overheating problems since fan doesn't spin unless you key down. This is not true. The fan will run anytime the heat sink gets warm. However, high speed operation only occurs on key down.

13. eHam rating (4.4/5.0) is pretty poor for a radio that is supposed to have such advanced features and coverage. It does have some drawbacks, and the major one you missed entirely. Which is understandable, because most mobile operators don't suppress RFI like they should, so they run around with the NB on all of the time, which masks the problem.

14. Poor stock mic TX audio unless professionally modded. This is the most inane of all. The reason most folks have poor transmit audio isn't caused by the DSP. It is caused by improper use of the microphone, and way too much microphone gain and/or running excess compression levels. When you do one of the mods, you essentially defeat the noise canceling property of the microphone, which adds even more insult to poor audio.

KC6F
09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
-- The S-meter isn't over-inflated the way some other rigs are

I had to laugh at this one because its so true. Another funny one is when people complain that their 100 W rig only puts out 97 Watts. Oblivious to the fact that all but the most expensive lab grade power meters are not more than 10% accurate.

K0RGR
09-11-2011, 06:10 PM
The 7000 is actually a very nice rig. I've always considered it too nice to be a mobile rig, but it works very well in that mode. I operate mostly mobile CW, so a lot of your concerns have never been a problem for me, and the rig works well on SSB, too. It's been used at Field Day for the last few years, and in spite of the IMD ratings from both QST and Sherwood, the rig is better able to operate in a multitransmitter environment than a lot of more expensive rigs.

My biggest beef is lack of audio output. I need a lot more for mobile use. Actually, the internal speaker sounds pretty good - just not enough audio. I will use a headset when practical, to eliminate the problem.

K0BG
09-11-2011, 10:10 PM
You're correct, Bill, about the audio which I failed to mention. It is low enough with the short remote cable, but becomes a big problem with the long remote cable. This said, with a good quality speaker, properly placed, it is adequate for most vehicles. If you're nearly deaf, you could use an amplified speaker I suppose.

KC6F
09-12-2011, 01:13 AM
The reality is that any amateur radio made today is very nice. The technology is just that mature. But I do notice a very high number of hardware failure complaints with this radio. I am wondering if anybody out there can say if its true or not.

K0BG
09-13-2011, 01:50 PM
With respect to over heating......

Far too many amateurs install their mobile radios incorrectly. Some of this is due to a great fear of theft. As a result, they get stuffed into a cubby hole with no ventilation. I've seen units velcro'd to the carpet, sans the mounting bracket which essentially insulates the radio. I've seen them mounted underneath the package shelf which is the hottest part of the trunk. Worse yet, are DIN slots. I saw one installation where the radio heat sink got hot enough to melt the plastic around the hole.

There has to be a dozen articles on the web about adding a fan to blow on the heat sink, which in reality doesn't do anything, but make the owner warm and fuzzy (excuse the pun).

The real killer of radios isn't heat, it's open coaxial lines. Modern transceivers handle short term coaxial shorts fairly well. Transmit into an open circuit, and it won't take long to blow the finals. Why this is so is multitudinous, but the obvious one is too many don't know how to install UHF connectors.

It pays to remember, when it comes to installing radio gear in a vehicle, there is no instant gratification. If there was, you did it wrong!

By the way, once again, the IC-7000 does have an automatic shut off. The factory default is 60 minutes, but may be changed.

NO6O
09-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Regarding the lack of DTMF, I found some information about how to add a keypad on the back of the microphone. It works quite well. It automatically keys the microphone, and there is brief pause after each keypress, to enter a string of numbers. Here is a picture I took, while the black silicone sealant was drying.

ZL1UZM
09-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I am not going to write a dissertation about this pathetic radio.
If you want detailed info about it, just ring me on the phone.
You should be able to work out that one!
73 de wolf

K0BG
09-14-2011, 01:16 PM
To me, this whole thread is incredulous. Every single transceiver out there has some sort of problem it shouldn't have (ken down overshoot for example). This includes the top of the line Icoms, Yeasus, and Kenwoods. It is apparent that some folks have had a bad experience with the 7000, which if the truth were known, was self inflicted. Add in a little buyer's remorse, thus you see the result.

The Icom 706, in its various guises, has become the most popular transceiver ever! Some 70,000+ have been sold since its introduction. The Yaesu FT857 is a distant second. If the sales continue at their present rate, the 7000 could match the 706's numbers. If the 7000 was as bad as it appears here, it would have long since been discontinued.

KC6F
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM

I have to say, that is pretty slick.

G7DIE
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
As Alan says above, pretty much all manufacturers products have their faults, and I suppose putting so much into such a small package will have it's limitations. I used a 706MkII for a long time mobile and only this year bought myself a IC7000. The menus aren't an issue as pretty much everything I need the radio to do is there at the touch of a button, it took a little while to get the audio right, but hyper critical friends are difficult to please :D

VE3FMC
09-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I have not had any problems with my Icom 7000. Yes it gets warm. But only when operating digital modes. I solved that with a small fan behind it when I operated digital, mainly Olivia.

On SSB, no heating problems what so ever.

Finals and driver are just fine.

Only problem I had was with the in line fuses in the power cord. The power output dropped down. Someone told me to remove the fuses, clean them and put them back in. Problem solved. However the 7000 is not the only radio that develops that problem.

So sometimes wonder if some people do not abuse their Icom 7000. Constantly operating digital modes will cause the radio to heat up. Not hard to figure that out when you consider the size of the radio. Pretty sure Icom did not design the radio to be used constantly on digital modes.

KC5DOV
09-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I've had one for over about one year and have had no trouble at all. The display is adjustable in brightness and contrast, but I had no problem seeing it in teh day time/sunlight. Actually, I've turned both down significantly!

Jim - KC5DOV

WA8ZYT
10-06-2011, 05:56 PM
You have to have the supply voltage a little over 13.8 to get the full 100 watts out.

As far as the S-Meter is concerned, here are some values taken with the 7000 hooked to a General Dynamics System Analyzer with a factory fresh re-calibration on 50.125 mhz:

Preamp on:

S 1/2= -104 DBM or 1.41 microvolts
S 1=-103 or 1.58
S3=-98 or 2.81
S5=-92 or 5.61
S7=-86 or 11.2
S9=-81 or 19.2
10+=-72 or 56.16
20+=-64 or 141
30+=-56 or 354

Without preamp values are about 11 DB lower.

Signal generator bottoms out at -130 dbm and you can barely hear the note. It would be a copy-able cw signal if you had good ears.

M0GVZ
10-07-2011, 01:02 PM
To me, this whole thread is incredulous. Every single transceiver out there has some sort of problem it shouldn't have.

TS480 doesn't....

K0BG
10-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Oh yes it does, albeit you haven't found them.

Like almost all solid state transceivers on the market, there is a leading edge power spike on PTT. The 480SAT's is about 150 to 170 watts, depending on the band. The one in the 480Hx is about twice that.

And, it shares a lot of the same design problems the 7000 does. For example, the RF gain control isn't! It is an IF gain control. The AGC doesn't pump nearly as bad as the 7000, but it is still there nonetheless.

I could go on, but I made this point before; Every single transceiver out there has some sort of problem it shouldn't have.

WZ3O
10-12-2011, 05:15 AM
I fully agree with K0BG, & I will guarantee a certain % of all rigs will incur issues, either "pilot error" or a failed component. NO ONE makes a "perfect" product on the planet. Every manufacturer allows for x# per thousand/million failure. It happens or they wouldn't require a warranty would they?

VE3FMC
10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
You can put a $10,000 HF rig in the wrong hands and they will say it is junk because they do not take time to learn how the rig operates.:rolleyes:

The 7000 is what it is. For what it was designed and built for it works just fine.

I never had any trouble with mine when I operated it and it is still in the shack packed away as a back up rig to my FT-950.

There was two reasons I bought the FT-950. One, I had the money to play with, two I wanted a bigger rig on my desk.

Otherwise the Icom 7000 would still be in use.

N8DHC
11-20-2011, 09:35 PM
If most hams drove their cars like they drive their rigs, they'd need a streetsweeper to follow them and sweep up the parts as they blew out of the engine...These rigs are rated ICAS which is 50% duty cycle... If the rig were used as designed, it would surprise the user with fantastic service. Instead of "modding" a radio to do things never intended,buy a radio with the features and capabilities guaranteed for 100% of your demands.

K0BG
11-21-2011, 03:26 PM
James, Amen brother!

Very few folks know how popular any given radio model is. Finding the actual sales numbers is a bit difficult, but obtainable. It turns out the most popular amateur transceiver ever sold is the IcomIC-706 in its various guises. At 70,000+ units, the closest rival (the FT-857) is just about half that number. At its current sales pace, the IC-7000 is slightly ahead of the IC-706 in its product life span. If it was as bad as some folks portend it to be, it would longer be on the market!

G0GQK
11-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Nevertheless, one must question why Icom designed and manufactured a tranceiver which gets exceptionally hot because evryone knows heat shortens the life of components. One would have thought that the trouble they had with users of the 746 that a few pennies would have dropped regarding the poor quality control or design.

K0BG
11-22-2011, 12:24 AM
What poor quality, and design? If you look deep enough into one of the most popular HF base station transceivers (the 1000 series of Yaesus), you just might be surprised at just how bad they really are! They cost several times what the 7000 costs. What about them????

The IC-7000, the FT-857, the TS-480 (either model), and even the old TS-50, get hot! What the hey do you expect? I have had my 7000 so hot, you couldn't touch the heat sink without blistering you finger! It is still working! The reason is, I give it adequate ventilation, just as Icom suggests. The other listed models tell you the same thing. So why do you think the Icom is a worse design?

Apparently, you weren't around when Heathkit introduced their SB104. Before I got the one I bought built, there were at least 20 mods. Darn thing never works right! I've been around since the NCX1000 debacle too. What about them?

No one on the planet makes a trouble-free transceiver. No one! Every single one has some sort of design fault, and it isn't necessarily a heat issue. For example, all but a couple of modern solid state transceivers, all have an initial key down power spike, which easily exceeds their rated power out. What about that?

It just peeves me when someone picks on some specific attribute, that they deem a design fault, and don't consider all of the other brands with the same problem. Enough already!

VE3FMC
11-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Nevertheless, one must question why Icom designed and manufactured a tranceiver which gets exceptionally hot because evryone knows heat shortens the life of components. One would have thought that the trouble they had with users of the 746 that a few pennies would have dropped regarding the poor quality control or design.

I operated an Icom 7000 daily for 6 months. When operating SSB that radio did not get HOT as some say it does. Now I will admit it got hot when I operated the digital mode Olivia. But not to the point where the temperature indicator rose into the red. That was due to long key down times. Simple solution was to sit a small 12 VDC CPU fan behind the radio and I never had any heat issues after that.

I have to wonder what some operators set on top of radios. Look at shack photos and you will see tuners, etc sitting on top of rigs. That sure doesn't help with heat issues.

KA7RRA
12-13-2011, 08:12 AM
I have had the IC-7000 ever since it came out I have had installed in 2 different cars and never had a problem or issue with it.

I have worked all over, including DX last year I drove to Dayton and worked all over with no problems. I have the 7000 installed under my seat I have used auxiliary speakers jacks and never had a problem with the jacks breaking SO I don't know why you people are having any problems I sure have not had any

NO2A
12-13-2011, 06:56 PM
The other day I was using my FT-857D on 2m fm simplex. At the 50 watt level the rig gets warm,but never hot. OTOH,my IC-208H gets very hot at the same power level. The fans on both rigs do a great job of cooling them off. It`s just a matter of letting them cool down properly. Using the `857 on cw at 100 watts it barely gets warm,with a low swr the fan only runs a short time. That`s great cooling for such a small radio. :cool:

WA1GZY
12-28-2011, 02:33 AM
The IC7000 has been in my mobile since 2004 and performed flawlessly for over 150000 miles in both sub zero upstate NY winters and 100 degree Florida humidity! The only service has been the replacement of the surface mounted video and audio output jacks. The IC 7000 is simply the best mobile transceiver on the market.

G7DIE
12-28-2011, 12:15 PM
I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones, RX audio problem here with my IC7000, loss of audio after about one minute and it returns intermittently after about 15 minutes, a job for Icom UK I think :(

KA7RRA
01-01-2012, 04:17 AM
If the IC-7000 is unreliable it could have fooled me, I went on a road trip and worked all over the place on 10 meters I worked people in teas Michigan,MN, Wiscon(SP) Winnipeg Manatoba,and Florida, on 40 meters, on my home I worked my friend in Everett Rosburg and a few other places. I used a screw driver with a 100 watts the only thing unreliable is my spelling

KB2NHW
02-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Ive seen friends have heating issues with the 7000.
If i owned one, i think id just get a mobile amp and set the radio at 50% power so it didnt heat up as much, and then it would probably be fine.

I think the 706mk2g is more reliable just watching friends who owned these radios, as ive never owned either one.

You dont gain much signal from doubling your power, as most people know, so just lower it to 75% or 50% power, and it should be fine.

K0BG
02-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Paul, a lot of folks think (believe?) like you do, that if you cut the power back to 50%, the input current drops to 50%. Unfortunately, that's not the case. The nominal peak input current of an IC-7000 is right at 22 amps with the fan on slow. At 50% power, it still draws nearly 14 amps peak. This is true of every solid state radio out there.

KJ5T
02-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I have no experience with this radio personally. What I do know is that a contest buddy of mine has had two go up in smoke in receive. I was originally saving for this radio as I had the 706 previously and liked it (mostly for the big display). I do want 2m/70cm so the 480HX while it seems like an awesome radio will not 100% fit my desire to also have all SSB on 2m and the ability to check into 70cm nets locally. I am going to go with the FT-857D. Icom does make some great radios, I love my IC-718 and I loved the 706 until I sold it. I might risk the 7000 if it was a bit less expensive.

KB2NHW
02-08-2012, 02:41 AM
Steve/KJ5T

I want to love my Icom IC 718 , but sometimes its totally unusable due to noise, and i have to switch to my nearly 20 year old Yaesu FT 757gx2.

The noise blanker in the 718 is useless when it comes to power line static.
I get S-9 if BUZZZZZZZZZ and nothing on the 718 can get rid of it.

When i switch to my old 757gx2, i switch the NB on, and the static is gone.
A $30 CB has a better NB than the highly praised Icom.
Icom just cant build a NB. I wish Icom or someone would come up with a modification to it.

Thats really my only complaint about the radio.
Its unusable above 40 meters 35% of the time i want to use the radio.

Alan , KBG -

Thats crazy! Sometimes i turn my radio down so i dont beat on it, and youre saying no matter what i do, im still beating on it? I would have to figure the finals would see less drive if i turn it down. I still feel better lowering it.

KJ3N
02-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Icom can make a NB. The one in the IC-7000 works better than the one in the IC-746Pro. The one in the 746Pro works better than the one on the 718.

You get what you pay for.

Then there's the issue of actually resolving the source of the power line buzz so that you don't have to rely on the NB as a band-aid.

AG6JU
02-11-2012, 07:03 PM
at work we use IC-7000 to calibrate crystal OSC , by zero beating during manufacturing process as test equipment. but, one time I took it home, because I wanted to use it as HAM radio over week end. well, I notice radio are getting HOT, and after a while driver stage FET burned out. I ended up fixing it , luckly Digikey had driver stage FET. and I made FAN to run all the time slowly during RX, that keep IC-7000 cool during RX. and as Sheerwood engineering guy suggested, I live in area with a lot of Man Made Noise, and I had same problem with IC-7000 as Sherwood Engr experienced , which apparently, AGC is reacting to Spike Noise . because in my OMNI-V , it does sound much better, specially in 3.5 MHz band, the signal on 3.5 Mhz I can hear weak, but clearly on OMNI-V, but not so in IC-7000 . however, DSP seems to work well, it has all of the newer radio future like voice announcement, the radio probably work well as mobile or if there is not much Spike type noise.

AG6JU
02-12-2012, 08:06 AM
here is the pictures of burned driver , look at pic #1, #2

http://ae6zw.no-ip.info/niko/amateur_radio/icom-ic-7000-picture/page1.htm

K6DEA
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
i have had my IC-7000 in my mobile and now on my base for over a year in a half without any problems at all. i have even forgot to plug in an antenna a few times on both HF and VHF rig still is a power house without any power loss problems with anything. not a scratch on my unit either. who ever is complaining about the radio has issue being an operator. as this quote goes: "its not the machine, its the operator". 73s

ad: W2RE-1