PDA

View Full Version : Weather radio frequencies

K6CPO
07-24-2011, 04:14 PM
My three Yaesu radios (FT-270, FT-1900 and FT-7900) all came with NOAA weather frequencies pre-programmed. I'm able to receive the Southern California weather broadcasts with no problems on the frequencies shown on http://www.weather.gov/nwr/nwrbro.htm. I'm even receiving Santa Barbara quite well down here in San Diego.

My question is this: There are three frequencies programmed into the radios as part of the weather band that aren't listed on the NOAA website; 161.650 MHz, 161.775 MHx, and 163.275 MHz. Does anyone know what these frequencies are used for and why they are part of the weather programming on my radios? I can't hear anything on any of them...

K7MH
07-24-2011, 04:19 PM
http://www.weather.gov/om/marine/wxradio.htm

Many NOAA Weather Radio receivers are also programmed for three additional frequencies; 161.650 MHz (marine VHF Ch 21B), 161.775 MHz (marine VHF Ch 83B) and 163.275 MHz. The first two frequencies are used by Canada for marine weather broadcasts. 163.275 MHz was used by the National Weather Service for internal coordination in the event of a power outage but is no longer in active use.

K6CPO
07-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks. I suppose if I'd read ALL the fine print, I'd have been able to figure that out for myself...:rolleyes:

It's good to know information as I'm going on a cruise in the fall that originates in Vancouver, B.C. and it will be nice to have the Canadian frequencies handy.

K7MH
07-24-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm going on a cruise in the fall that originates in Vancouver, B.C.
Where to? Alaska?

K6CPO
07-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Where to? Alaska?

No, Los Angeles... The Disney Wonder moves from Vancouver to LA in the fall to start her Mexican Riviera season. My wife and I are taking the repositioning cruise. The ship will return to Seattle in the spring for the Alaska season...

We're taking this cruise because it's Disney Cruise Line. If it were any other cruise line, I wouldn't have let her talk me into this as it stops in Victoria, BC and Ensenada, Mexico. Victoria might be interesting, but I've been to Ensenada multiple times and I doubt it's changed much in the last ten years... We probably won't even get off the ship there.

WA9SVD
07-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks. I suppose if I'd read ALL the fine print, I'd have been able to figure that out for myself...:rolleyes:

It's good to know information as I'm going on a cruise in the fall that originates in Vancouver, B.C. and it will be nice to have the Canadian frequencies handy.

If you're going up the Pacific Coast, you will find those "extra" frequencies of use once you get out of Southern California. In Oregon, they give forecasts for conditions in the cranberry bogs.:rolleyes: (and rightly so, to the Oregonians.)
I guess it's a matter of "We will pick no cranberry before its time.:D)

ad: vanity