PDA

View Full Version : Echolink Sleuths - who can figure this one out????

AD6OE
06-18-2011, 07:20 PM
A local ham and friend, and I are trying to set up Echolink sysop link stations and are having fits. Can any of you Echolink sleuths figure out this problem that has us completely baffled? Thanks.
Ross
AD6OE

Setup:
• Echolink v2.0.908 on both systems
• Windows XP on both systems
• Ross using Signalink USB interface and Kenwood TM731a dual band radio
• Dick using MFJ 1275 interface on Kenwood TR-7950 radio

Problem:
Remote users can’t talk out over internet node-to-node (Dick’s node to Ross’ node, or vice-versa) from remote user HT’s. Dick’s HT is heard over the internet from his node to Ross’ node when he tries to enter DTMF tones - Ross’ node radio keys up. We are not yet sure if the DTMF codes are actually being heard over Ross’ node radio, but he does key up Ross’ node. However, when Dick tries to speak over Echolink using his HT connected to his node, there is no audio detected at Ross’ node, and Ross’ node radio does not key up.

We think we have eliminated:
• Routers/modems – switched routers at Ross’ - no help
• Node radios – they receive and transmit as standalone
• Computers – problem exists on 3 different computers; 2 at Ross’, 1 at Dick’s
• Cabling – Ross’ side is Signalink OEM. Dick’s side keys his node transmitter
• Interfaces – Signalink verified to work as designed by discussion with tech. MFJ 1275 previously worked on another system
• Ports – ports tests pass on PFportchecker program and echolink firewall test passes. (echolink troubleshooter program alternately fails UDP 5198 or 5199 receive). Switched dsl modems/routers and confirmed setups. Ran them in DMZ mode also – no help. Proof: Dick can talk from his echolink computer over the internet to Ross’ node with no problem. If the ports were the problem, this would not be possible.
• Sysop settings – for the most part (see below)

What works:
• Dicks computer to over echolink to Ross’ node and out Ross’ frequency
• Dicks HT DTMF tones through Dick’s node over internet to Ross’ node keys Ross’ node transmitter

What doesn’t work:
• Dick’s HT spoken audio through Dick’s node to Ross’ node does NOT key Ross’ node radio

Possible causes:
• Sysop settings – RCV control
• Other echolink setup settings

K0RGR
06-19-2011, 02:04 AM
If Dick connects to the Test Server (node 9999), does he hear the audio from his HT through his node? If this work 100%, we can probably eliminate Dick's node. If not, we know the problem is probably on Dick's end someplace.

KD8DEY
06-19-2011, 02:21 AM
To make sure all ports stay open go into windows firewall and make individual exemptions for the ports 5198 5199 -udp ports and 5200 tcp instead of just for the echolink program itself. Do the same thing for any add on software firewalls and in your router port settings then see what you got.......

AD6OE
06-19-2011, 02:55 AM
If Dick connects to the Test Server (node 9999), does he hear the audio from his HT through his node? If this work 100%, we can probably eliminate Dick's node. If not, we know the problem is probably on Dick's end someplace.

I can connect to the test server (node 9999) using my HT to my node to the test server. It connects fine but no spoken audio is repeated back. My red TX flag does not illuminate when I speak audio into my ht. However, when I try to pass some dtmf tones, the red TX flag does illuminate but nothing is parroted back from the test server.

thanks,
AD6OE

AD6OE
06-19-2011, 03:01 AM
To make sure all ports stay open go into windows firewall and make individual exemptions for the ports 5198 5199 -udp ports and 5200 tcp instead of just for the echolink program itself. Do the same thing for any add on software firewalls and in your router port settings then see what you got.......

Bubba,
Thanks for the tip. Didn't know you could allow ports. Tried it but unfortunately didn't help. I think the ports are open as they should be because all works fine computer to computer. The problem appears when radio users attempt to make connections node to node. then, no spoken audio can be passed using an ht, for example.

These paths work:

NODE1 (COMPUTER MIC) > TEST SERVER
NODE1 (COMPUTER MIC) > NODE2
HT DTMF TONES ONLY > NODE1 > NODE2

This fails:

HT SPOKEN AUDIO > NODE1 > NODE2

K0RGR
06-20-2011, 02:16 AM
It sounds like the audio clip level is set too high. I haven't been a sysop for some time, but as I recall, the clip level is set on the display of the received audio by moving a bar up and down the scale. It's also possible that the audio level from the receiver is too low. Now, if you are using carrier detection instead of VOX, there is a different issue, but the issue is between your receiver and EchoLink.

AD6OE
06-20-2011, 04:04 PM
It sounds like the audio clip level is set too high. I haven't been a sysop for some time, but as I recall, the clip level is set on the display of the received audio by moving a bar up and down the scale. It's also possible that the audio level from the receiver is too low. Now, if you are using carrier detection instead of VOX, there is a different issue, but the issue is between your receiver and EchoLink.

Thanks for the tip. We have tried running the audio up to the limit and down too. Right now the radio is set at about 40% volume (audio out is the speaker jack) and also went into the signalink and put the jumper on to increase audio sensitivity..no help.
when i connect to the test server, there is lots of deviation on the echolink screen (blue bar) but no response from the test server.

also checked with sound recorder in windows but nothing being recorded.

Ross AD6OE

K0RGR
06-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Ah - you need to fix sound recorder ! I bet if you get it working, EchoLink will be fine.

W9PSK
06-24-2011, 05:15 AM
I think the problem is probly with the Signalink interface. When I tried using mine for Echolink, I could not get audio either to or through the program. It gave me fits. I kept checking all the settings in Echolink, thinking that maybe something was wrong. I did all the port tests and redid them repeatedly, passing every time. It turns out that a Signalink interface is designed more for digital modes than it is for voice applications, like Echolink. There are some jumpers inside the Signalink that, when properly set up, amplify the incoming and outgoing audio from the Signalink. I got those configured, and have not had any problems since. The manual should tell you which jumpers are the right ones. I am pretty sure it's number 2 and 3,

AD6OE
07-05-2011, 07:34 AM
ITS WORKING!!

The problem was the vox trigger slider below the blue audio bar. Mine was set too high so the vox would never trigger. I am now confident that we can figure it out. Really appreciate your help. I got to reading the echolink website help files after I reviewed your screenshots and found all those ok. I read about the slider and it came to me that this must be the problem! I moved it down to the left to about level 10 and it worked!!

Thanks to all that helped to figure this out.

Ross AD6OE

AD6OE
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
It sounds like the audio clip level is set too high. I haven't been a sysop for some time, but as I recall, the clip level is set on the display of the received audio by moving a bar up and down the scale.

Thanks for the correct answer!!

Ross
AD6OE

KB0OXD
07-31-2011, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the tip. We have tried running the audio up to the limit and down too. Right now the radio is set at about 40% volume (audio out is the speaker jack) and also went into the signalink and put the jumper on to increase audio sensitivity..no help.
when i connect to the test server, there is lots of deviation on the echolink screen (blue bar) but no response from the test server.

also checked with sound recorder in windows but nothing being recorded.Your mic is muted in the Windows Volume Control Ross. Unmute it & adjust the volume. This does WONDERFUL things :)

Cheers & 73 :)

ad: HROutlet-2