PDA

View Full Version : what is ARRL Keyer Touch Paddle Kit?

DS1SEG
06-12-2011, 01:17 PM
is it just a touch paddle that can be used by connecting to the keyer(needs the keyer), or it is the combination of keyer and touch paddle so that i can just connect
directly to my rig? does anyone know?

thank you
DS1SEG/ WH6DQG Kong

W9GB
06-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Is this kit a combination of Keyer and Touch Paddle so that I can just connect directly to my rig?
It appears to be that. It would not make much sense for ARRL to sell a kit that could not be used with a radio --
but I have seen stranger products from various vendors through the years.

Keyer Touch Paddle Kit
http://www.arrl.org/shop/Keyer-Touch-Paddle-kit

Join in the fun of homebrewing (or project-building)!
Handle electronic components, circuit boards and try your hand at soldering.
Great for beginners or anyone who has not built something in a long time.

The Keyer Touch Paddle Kit is both a building experience and an educational activity,
which will help you learn a little about micro-controllers and how capacitors work in a ham related accessory.

The keyer is a basic keyer (not a full featured keyer), though the user could make software changes
as a learning experience to add features that match their imaginations.
Unlock your inner do-it-yourselfer (DIY)!

w9gb

G4FUT
06-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Unlock your inner do-it-yourselfer

I like that...:-)

WA6MHZ
06-16-2011, 02:47 AM
This is the keyer that was supplied to builders at the 2010 ARRLKit building booth in Dayton. THey also had a nice little digital clock. Guess they had some left over which is how you got one. They were not available at the 2011 booth. They run on a PIC microprocessor, and work very well for a simple circuit. Very nice little kit, hope they bring it back for 2012. It did have an output to use it as a regular keyer with a radio

N2HHH
06-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi all:
I won an ARRL coupon at a local hamfest, so I decided to give the keyer a try.
It went together nicely and can be used as a practice iambic keyer/paddle combo.
Or it can be connected to a rig.
It has a paddle mode for rigs with a built in keyer.
and It has a keyer mode for rigs that do not have a built in keyer.
and it has a speed ajustment that is set with two buttons on the front of the kit.
It has a built in speaker that can be turned on or off.
It does not have any memorys but over all its not bad.
I have not built any of the other touch keyers on the market so I cant make any comparisons to other products.
All the best
N2HHH
Howard