PDA

View Full Version : TS 850 doesn't stop on a busy Mem channel

G0YNM
04-22-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi .. Just bought it as a backup radio, the TS 850 SAT .. programmed memories, set scanning, and it doesn't stop on a busy channel .. i've tried setting various menu items,
but no joy. anyone help me please ?
Mark

N0BOX
04-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Things to check:

Squelch Level - if set too high, the radio might not consider the channel 'busy'
Tone squelch setting for that memory channel (CTCSS/DCS decode) - if there is a CTCSS or DCS decode tone set for that memory channel, then the channel won't be considered 'busy' unless the set tone is being encoded in the signal

These are the only things that come to mind as far as settings are concerned. I don't know the age or feature set of that radio (didn't look it up, sorry), so the CTCSS/DCS/PL tone stuff may or may not be a factor.

G0YNM
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks Matt .. yes, all that is second nature mate :) the Yaesu's all scan and stop as expected, but not the 850, the Kenwood TS 850 is a nice 80s HF set,
but my Kenwood TS 870 had some very strange ideas about scanning too, i'm expecting the squelched memory channels to stop the scan when activity
appears .. maybe thats how Kenwood think it should be done, or maybe the 850 just doesn't do 'that' .. but maybe its me, being used to the Yaesu way :)
Cheers Matt, and thankyou..
Mark

N0BOX
04-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks Matt .. yes, all that is second nature mate :) the Yaesu's all scan and stop as expected, but not the 850, the Kenwood TS 850 is a nice 80s HF set,
but my Kenwood TS 870 had some very strange ideas about scanning too, i'm expecting the squelched memory channels to stop the scan when activity
appears .. maybe thats how Kenwood think it should be done, or maybe the 850 just doesn't do 'that' .. but maybe its me, being used to the Yaesu way :)
Cheers Matt, and thankyou..
Mark

Yeah, I'm used to Yaesu's scanning, also. I don't own any Kenwood equipment, so really my advice was for a Yaesu radio, and I'm just as stumped as you. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

G0YNM
04-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah .. its weird isn't it Matt .. i asked on the Yahoo group too .. seems like it aint just my TS 850 - having a scan that doesn't stop !
Thanks Matt .. take care mate
Mark

KF6BPD
05-08-2011, 06:36 PM
you can set the time to hold in the menu but it will not stop.that is the way kenwood made the radio. herb