PDA

View Full Version : TYT TH-2R disassembled and DIY data cable

CR7ADF
03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Well, this is my first post, so I decided to try and start with something useful :)

I always liked electronics in general and was always fascinated by radio so I just took the time and got my amateur radio license a couple of weeks ago. Here in Portugal the class 3 amateurs are not allowed to transmit alone, we have to wait 2 years listening and then take the class 2 exam... Even not being allowed to transmit I am allowed to use amateur radio equipment to receive, so I decided to take the risk and order this unit (TYT TH-2R) from Asia (radiogearpro). It cost me around USD$50, shipping included, so it was pretty cheap and it took less than two weeks to arrive.

The box included:
-the transceiver
-a small SMA antenna
-battery (copy of Nokia's BL-5C)
-USB charger
-desktop battery charger
-belt clip
-one of those little nylon ropes to hold the radio in the wrist
-"chenglish" manual, but easy to understand

It didn't came with a programming cable and I wasn't able to find one online, not even the pinout. The software can be easily found online.

The interface is easy to use, it has plenty of functionality and it has an extra: it receives broadcast FM radio :)

In the negative side, it doesn't have "roger beep" (I usually don't use roger beeps, but still, it's missing), and the frequency scanning is ridiculously slow, almost useless.

I find the audio pretty good, loud and clear taking in account the speaker size. It has one of those 4-pin 2,5mm jacks with speaker and microphone in the same jack.
If connected to an external audio amplifier, I find the FM radio quite entertaining, and it still watches the UHF frequency set by the user and mutes the FM radio if something gets received.

Regarding the TX performance, I can't give you a proper review, given my TX limitations...

My largest problem was the lack of cable or cable schematics, so I tried a couple of variations of schematics from other manufacturers, without success.
Next step? Disassemble it to see "how it ticks"!

This is the unit, tuned to 99.2MHz broadcast radio:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5494517964_d15e32b5f7_z.jpg

Starting to take it apart, only need to unscrew the two screws under the battery:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5177/5493924757_70e5080b92_z.jpg

We can see that everything is held together by a nice aluminium chassis, to keep disassembling we need to unsolder the LCD LED in the right side:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/5493923907_1f37a6dc3e_z.jpg

This is the front side of the board without the LCD. To keep disassembling we need to unscrew the 4 screws and unsolder the RF connector from the board:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5494514702_6085f0de18_z.jpg

The under side of the board:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5493923121_ed1f976cf4_z.jpg

As a side note, we can see that most chips are from Chinese manufacturers, but well known ones. At this price, I was surprised by the overall quality of the unit.

After taking some time trying to understand the thing, I've discovered that the data interface wasn't in the speaker plug, but in the charging interface.
Those cheap ???????s wired the serial RX and TX to the D- and D+ of the USB connector :D

I proceeded to assemble everything again and began working in the cable. Since I have a handfull of FT232R, I etched a PCB and soldered the USB cable to my board:
Red to 5V
Black to Ground
White to FT232 TX
Green to FT232 RX

Connected everything and voilá! I have a USB charging cable that also works as a data cable:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5018/5494518782_9da479f012_z.jpg

If there is any problem with the embedded images, or someone wants to examine the board with higher resolution, the whole set can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cocasdaneve/sets/72157626187684634/

CT2HPM
03-07-2011, 03:23 AM
Agora já se consegue arranjar cabo para isso.
O rádio tem muito boas características para o preço mas tem uma coisa que é má de mais... o som é provavelmente dos piores que já ouvi, estridente com uma má qualidade que sei lá...
Por exemplo o Puxing PX-2R que é igual a isso é muito melhor em qualidade de áudio e em termos de software também é muito mais prático, o TYT tem mais algumas funções mas fizeram uma complicação, o ajuste de áudio é comico ter de bloquear o rádio para ajustar???

Em conclusão não gostei do rádio, prefiro o Puxing PX-2R ou o NKT-R3.

CR7ADF
03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I was actually expecting the sound to be a lot worse, given the speaker size. I think it is on par with most cheap PMR radios.

Regarding the volume, you can change it without locking the unit: hold the lower button in the left side(monitor button, under the ptt) and, without releasing it, turn the top dial.

I am thinking about buying the dual-band TH-UVF1 directly from TYT. They sell it for 112USD, shipping and data cable included. If I buy it I'll leave the review.

PT:
Eu estava à espera que o som fosse pior, tendo em conta o tamanho do altofalante. Na minha opinião o é semelhante ao dos PMR mais baratos.

Quanto ao volume, pode alterar o volume sem bloquear: segure no botão de baixo do lado esquerdo (botão monitor, debaixo do PTT) e, sem o largar, rode o botão do volume em cima.

Ando a ponderar comprar o dual-band TH-UVF1 directamente à TYT. Eles vendem-no por 112USD já com portes e cabo de dados incluido. Se o comprar deixo cá a review.

CT2HPM
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Pois sim eu sei que dá é abrires o squelch e rodar o dial mas não faz sentido...
Não compres o TH-UVF1 ou qualquer outro dual band que só tenha um botão de volume, compra sempre com dial + volume tipo o Wouxun KG-UVD1P.
É um massacre teres de mudar os menus ou as frequências com as teclas... além disso o Wouxun é mais barato.

M0JMO
03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Looks very similar to the Puxing PX-2R and NKT-R3.

I have the NKT and am really impressed with the performance.

Nice photos!

CT2HPM
03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Josh I have the three, soon I post a comparative.
Initially I did not like the NKT, now I think it is my favourite.

K8SAR
03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
The down side of this and its twin Ronson RT-26v is no 5khz frequency step(6.25 as low as it goes). Pretty much knocks the unit out of the US market.

M0JMO
03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Ahh, the NKT-R3 has 5KHz and 6.25KHz steps.

MartinCZ
03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
(Excuse my bad English)
Hi,
I have a radio TYT TH-2R, and I'd be programmed using a PC.
I have a RS-232 adapter, and does not work on the TH-2R. Other radio work, but TH-2 will not.
For the production of RS-232 adapter, I used your guide.
The display will show "PC-COM", but after 2 seconds the words disappear and the software reports "Please check all communication port seting."

What do I do wrong?:confused::confused::confused:

Thank you for your reply.

See you Hrosek Martin

I proceeded to assemble everything again and began working in the cable. Since I have a handfull of FT232R, I etched a PCB and soldered the USB cable to my board:
Red to 5V
Black to Ground
White to FT232 TX
Green to FT232 RX

CR7ADF
03-10-2011, 10:51 PM
I couldn't replicate your problem, if I disconnect something I get the "check communication port setting" error, but the radio doesn't display anything.

What kind of adapter are you using? RS232 to TTL, USB to RS232, USB to TTL?
Mine is USB to TTL, since the radio's serial port appears to be directly connected to one of the CPUs.

Be aware that the radio cannot be connected directly to a RS232 port in the computer. Please be sure the connector in the radio is at TTL levels (0~5V) and not at RS232 levels(-10~+10).

If you still have problems, please draw a diagram of the components and pins in your cable so we can try and understand what is happening.

Regards,
José Faria

EA4EP
03-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Hello,
Working using a USB to SERIAL + MAX232?
with USB SERIAL have to get this COM port on the PC and with MAX232 a TTL levels for the TYT.
Would it be possible?

Thanks.
EA4EP Jesus.

EA4EP
03-14-2011, 02:46 PM
YES!!!

Working.

I used a USB to SERIAL converter...
And MAX232 for converter the serial levels to TTL levels.

The TYT TH-2R is fine to charger and working programmer.

Yes, is possible used a USB to SERIAL and MAX232 for "talking" with TYT.

Thanks.

CR7ADF
03-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Nice to know it works for you too!

In my case I didn't have to use the max232 because my USB-to-serial chip already works at TTL levels.

EA4EP
03-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Hello,
You (and the other people) see the videos on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Adm3ZRK9RA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc_sjfdM_Jc

Thanks.
Jesus EA4EP

CR7ADF
03-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, you can connect the radio directly to a RS232 port in the PC as long as a level converter is used in between.

Any of these connections will work:
PC RS232 port <-> level converter(ex. max232) <-> miniUSB cable to the radio
PC USB port <-> normal USB to Serial <-> level converter(ex. max232) <-> miniUSB cable to the radio
PC USB port <-> TTL USB to Serial (ex. FT232R) <-> miniUSB cable to the radio

By the way, I've said in the first post that the audio jack has 4-pins, it doesn't, it only has 3...

Regards

KL7MJ
04-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I understand that it scans at 6.25, but can you program it to any frequency (like 146.520 for the VHF model)?
Mike, KL7MJ

KL7MJ
04-19-2011, 05:36 AM
In answer to my own question, it is fixed to 6.25 kHz steps, even with keypad entry. However, a quick test on a local repeater shows that the offset is not too great to prevent its use on a US repeater, even if the signal is 1250 Hz off.

Mike, KL7MJ

SM0PQB
04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Hi,

I have a Ronson RT-26 VHF (TH-2R copy?). I have a programming cable and using SW I tested to program it as a UHF version. It worked (!) - TX and RX worked (did not measure TX-power but it was anyway possible to communicate with another UHF radio nearby).
The problem I now have is that I want to use this radio for DUAL BAND (both VHF and UHF). The software allows to choose only 1 version - VHF or UHF not both.
I think it should be possible to open this radio for 134-470 MHz with some hack or other software, Any ideas?

73 de SM0PQB

IV3AQU
07-09-2011, 06:32 PM
per cortesia hai lo schema di tutto il sistema

ad: elecraft