PDA

View Full Version : Can Echolink contacts be considered for ARRL Contests?

AB2ZZ
12-06-2010, 03:49 AM
I was just wondering what the ARRL's stance on echolink, CQ100 and the like when considering VUCC, WAS, DXCC, etc contacts?

W4RLR
12-06-2010, 07:13 AM
I was just wondering what the ARRL's stance on echolink, CQ100 and the like when considering VUCC, WAS, DXCC, etc contacts?No, for the simple reason that Echolink is not entirely radio. Just like you can't claim contacts on repeaters, either.

KB9BVN
12-06-2010, 11:24 AM
They don't count...at least not for now.

K0RGR
12-06-2010, 04:21 PM
No, EchoLink contacts don't count for most contests or awards. There have been some special contests and awards out there specifically for EchoLink contacts.

Most people don't send QSL cards for EchoLink contacts, but I sometimes do - particularly if the person I talk with is a new ham. I often QSL using eQSL - which also doesn't count for ARRL awards. I think of it as a 'virtual QSL' for a 'virtual QSO', which is what EchoLink really is.

KB9BVN
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I think CQ100 has a set of awards they issue to their users for reaching certain milestones, but the ARRL does not recognize these contacts for any of their awards...it's not radio.

CQ100 and Echolink do enable a lot of hams that would otherwise be blocked out of ham radio because of health reasons, antenna restrictions, or other reasons. Although the contacts don't count for many awards, it's still fun having a conversation with other folks interested in the same things.

ad: exactcontrol