PDA

View Full Version : HRD and Icom IC 7200 Problems

KC0ORP
11-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi. I like HRD, but it seems it does not like me or my 7200. I set up the USB with no problems, installed the USB codecs, and the receive is great. It simply won't modulate on TX, even though I have the USB codec/HRD control selected under PTT, and input and output for the sound card options. And, I've cranked up the levels on TX and RX for the USB soundcard.

The radio controls work fine, as does the logbook. I just can't modulate my carrier for XMIT.

Additionally, HRD loves to crash on TX, or tuneup. Running XP SP 3 with all patches, with no other software running in foreground- and I've killed all the apps in background that I can. DM 780 seems to be the culprit.

Obviously, the USB works on RX, and the waterfall display works well. So the USB codec is working somewhat. Any ideas?

PS: I want to decode the "railroad tracks" that are *not* RTTY. Someone was mentioning a mode that HRD does not decode (FSK?).

SV9OFO
11-27-2010, 08:54 AM
The eternal question - how's your ground?

Join the PSU, 7200, tuner, PC with same-lenght stripes of coaxial outer conductor to the grounding point of your station and give it a try again.

your PC's USB hub is probably quite messed up by the incoming RF. This is probably what stalls the setup.

KC0ORP
11-27-2010, 09:17 PM
The eternal question - how's your ground?

Join the PSU, 7200, tuner, PC with same-lenght stripes of coaxial outer conductor to the grounding point of your station and give it a try again.

your PC's USB hub is probably quite messed up by the incoming RF. This is probably what stalls the setup.

Power supply tuner, radio, and antenna are all grounded (massive grounding bar to earth ground). PC is grounded through a UPS (also grounded to massive grounding bar).

Any idea on the no TX modulate problem?

KC0ORP
11-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Find these even on phone portions of the bands.

KB1NXE
11-28-2010, 02:58 AM
As far as the transmit issue, I presume you have set the Microsoft Audio Mixer levels for the sound card as defined in the manuals? I have found this to be the usual culprit.

Those "Railroad Tracks" appear to be another format other than CW. Try the different modes and find one that matches the bandwidth of the signal. It looks like it's narrow enough for RTTY to me. Also try going to the other sideband in case they are running an inverted signaling pair. If it's FSK, you should still be able to receive it.

I have had issues with my Anti-Virus interfering with HRD Rotor. If you still have problems, I suggest a re-install.

I have two PCs running HRD. One a XP SP-3 machine the other a Win 7 Enterprise. Both work flawlessly with HRD. An I use virtually all aspects of HRD with the exception of Mapper. I rather use the link to Google Earth. So, you should be as able as I am. I would recommend visiting the HRD Forums on the HRD page. There may be more specific answers there. I can also recommend the HRD Forum on Yahoo.

KC0ORP
11-28-2010, 03:59 AM
As far as the transmit issue, I presume you have set the Microsoft Audio Mixer levels for the sound card as defined in the manuals? I have found this to be the usual culprit.

Those "Railroad Tracks" appear to be another format other than CW. Try the different modes and find one that matches the bandwidth of the signal. It looks like it's narrow enough for RTTY to me. Also try going to the other sideband in case they are running an inverted signaling pair. If it's FSK, you should still be able to receive it.

I have had issues with my Anti-Virus interfering with HRD Rotor. If you still have problems, I suggest a re-install.

I have two PCs running HRD. One a XP SP-3 machine the other a Win 7 Enterprise. Both work flawlessly with HRD. An I use virtually all aspects of HRD with the exception of Mapper. I rather use the link to Google Earth. So, you should be as able as I am. I would recommend visiting the HRD Forums on the HRD page. There may be more specific answers there. I can also recommend the HRD Forum on Yahoo.

Thank you.

KC0ORP
11-28-2010, 04:03 AM

Tried all the RTTY modes, RTTYM, MFSK (but not FSK). No go.

I don't think it's Olivia... :)

WA0TDA
11-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi. I like HRD, but it seems it does not like me or my 7200. I set up the USB with no problems, installed the USB codecs, and the receive is great. It simply won't modulate on TX, even though I have the USB codec/HRD control selected under PTT, and input and output for the sound card options. And, I've cranked up the levels on TX and RX for the USB soundcard.

The radio controls work fine, as does the logbook. I just can't modulate my carrier for XMIT.

Additionally, HRD loves to crash on TX, or tuneup. Running XP SP 3 with all patches, with no other software running in foreground- and I've killed all the apps in background that I can. DM 780 seems to be the culprit.

Obviously, the USB works on RX, and the waterfall display works well. So the USB codec is working somewhat. Any ideas?

PS: I want to decode the "railroad tracks" that are *not* RTTY. Someone was mentioning a mode that HRD does not decode (FSK?).

Locate the SET button on the lower right side of the main tuning knob. Press and hold. Press and hold again. You should now locate the MoD setting. Rotate the main tining knob to select U for USB. Press set to return to the normal screen. I think this will allow modulation via the USB (if I am remembering right.) It is not set to modulate that way by default, though received signals are set to work by default. Go figure, huh? Let me know if this works for you. I'd like to set up my 7200 as a remote base, but haven't had the time...! wa0tda@arrl.net

KC0ORP
11-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Locate the SET button on the lower right side of the main tuning knob. Press and hold. Press and hold again. You should now locate the MoD setting. Rotate the main tining knob to select U for USB. Press set to return to the normal screen. I think this will allow modulation via the USB (if I am remembering right.) It is not set to modulate that way by default, though received signals are set to work by default. Go figure, huh? Let me know if this works for you. I'd like to set up my 7200 as a remote base, but haven't had the time...! wa0tda@arrl.net

Thanks, I'll try that. Gotta get doggie food now, and I'll give it a shot after surviving Petco. :)

KC0ORP
11-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Found those menu settings. Checked the manual, as well, to make sure (Page 77). There are two selections. Those selections are for SSB/AM modulation with data on/off use, not CW. The mike is cut off, if USB is selected, regardless if data mode is selected.

Made contact with a friend, W0RL (less than 10 miles at 100 W), on voice, on both 6 and 10, to confirm reception. Then I tried HRD. Not even a carrier. These trials were made with data mode for AM and SSB off.

BTW C-IV is selected to on. C-IV baud is selected to Auto. C-IV address is 76, the correct address. USB level is set to 50 again, as raising it did not improve anything.

I'll try with data mode for SSB selected next.

KC0ORP
11-30-2010, 04:34 AM
That was IT! Data mode for SSB/AM *has* to be selected for HRD to modulate through the USB connection on the IC 7200. Will have to switch from voice to data on SSB manually through the set menu. W0RL copied me clearly. Naturally, this tone-deaf zoomie couldn't read a Navy Master Chief, sending real Morse with a straight key, so the computer decoded it a little less worse than I did. :)

My first real CW contact! 50.900, at 90 W, less than 10 miles. Yahoooo!

My thanks to WA0TDA for pointing me in the right direction, and to W0RL for working as an Elmer.

Wally, 429 TFS/474 TFW, KC0ORP.

W4PG
11-30-2010, 04:45 AM
I have had problems with my TRANSMIT audio codec not recognized in Windows from time to time. Receive has never been a problem and I'm not sure exactly what happens to cause Windows to not recognize the correct codec for transmit.

DM780 has some pretty nifty utilities to asses what codec you are using. I suggest checking to see what the program is seeing and make sure you have the correct codec for transmit.

My US Navigator interface is plugged into the data ports on the back of the IC-7800. When I want to use digital modes, I have to make sure I hit the "data" button on my rig in order to connect the input on the back, otherwise it looks for input to the mic connector on the front.

..............Bob

KC0ORP
11-30-2010, 07:38 AM

My US Navigator interface is plugged into the data ports on the back of the IC-7800. When I want to use digital modes, I have to make sure I hit the "data" button on my rig in order to connect the input on the back, otherwise it looks for input to the mic connector on the front.

..............Bob

That is essentially the problem that I experienced. It was a radio setup problem, not a codec problem. Data mode for SSB has to be selected, using the USB for modulation input. You have to drill down two menus, and set two functions (data for the SSB, and then the USB input for SSB).

It seem strange that the CW mode does not have a data keying function through USB, nor does RTTY. This is a very nice radio, all things considered.

I plan on getting my General early next year, and then using PSK-31 extensively.

Nice doggie icon, Mr. Bob sir.

W4CHA
11-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi Wally..

You might want to check out this thread
http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?t=19818

I too have a IC-7200 and I pulled out a lot of hair to get mine going ok with HRD.

Mine now works great for all modes thru the USB link.

Have fun...

73, Chuck

KC0ORP
12-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi Wally..

You might want to check out this thread
http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showthread.php?t=19818

I too have a IC-7200 and I pulled out a lot of hair to get mine going ok with HRD.

Mine now works great for all modes thru the USB link.

Have fun...

73, Chuck

Thank you.

ad: Morse-1