PDA

View Full Version : FT-2000

WA1QMZ
08-31-2010, 11:16 PM
I am considering the FT-2000 or the 2000D after being off HF for quite a while. Now that I just recently passed my Extra I'm ready for a good solid long lasting rig. Planning on predominantly CW and SSB.

Does anyone have some suggestions on the options that are available and whether they are worth the extra money.

Any criticism on my choice of rigs is certainly welcome. Thank you. Steve WA1QMZ

PH5E
09-04-2010, 07:33 AM
The FT-2000 seems like a very solid rig that will give you years of pleasure. For CW the standard 3 kHz filter might be a bit wide. Don't about the options to improve on this, but its worth having a look into that.

For reference, here are the FT-2000 and FT-2000D side-by-side (http://rigreference.com/rigs/compare/4245,4246)

N0AZZ
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
I owned one for 4 yrs and liked it very much and never any problems at all worked a lot of DX with it. I had a FT-2000 and a FT-2000D the only reason I sold it was to purchase a FTDX5000MP a real step up but 3 times the money. As far as bang for the buck the FT-2000 can't be beat.

N8MME
09-16-2010, 02:53 PM
I owned one for 4 yrs and liked it very much and never any problems at all worked a lot of DX with it. I had a FT-2000 and a FT-2000D the only reason I sold it was to purchase a FTDX5000MP a real step up but 3 times the money. As far as bang for the buck the FT-2000 can't be beat.

Of the two, the FT-2000 and FT-2000D, which one was your favorite...and why? I am currently trying to decide between the 2 of them as a retirement present to myself. :D

K9ZM
09-20-2010, 08:25 PM
I bought the FT-2000D in June, I think. Or May. Be prepared to learn a lot. It's got a lot of menu options. Mostly set and forget. Well, log the settings and then forget them. I am still learning to use the rig. So keep the manual handy.

Do get the optional CW filter for the 2nd receiver. Your choice of 300Hz or 500Hz. I got the 300Hz. The Mu tuning units can be purchased later if you think you need them. For me they reduce the broad crud somewhat. Making it easier to use the other DSP features. But is it a real improvement over the VRF as the rig comes. I honestly do not know. I should unplug them and run the rig without them and see.

You can spend days just setting up the microphone for your voice. Time well spent. The rig sounds flat and on the bass side in stock mode. The adjustment features in the rig can work wonders and make you sound very good.

I have compared it to a TS-850SAT loaded with filters including the International Radio 4th filter kit. The FT-2000D with the modern DSP is an improvement. No more sensitive. But able to work around QRM better. Still, that can be improved upon as the 3kHz roofing filter is broad in the FT-2000's. There is some aftermarket options available to improve the receiver selectivity. You should have no trouble finding some of that information with a Google. They are not plug and play and will most likely void any warranty.

I do not have the DMU-2000, so cannot comment on that accessory. Looks interesting.

Greg k9zm

K3DY
09-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi gents,

I am also considering a FT2000. As I do a lot of CW, what are the basic filters on the main receiver for CW work? I have seen an optional CW filter for the Sub receiver but what about the main rx?

How do we make sure that we buy from the stores a PEP version of the FT2000? Is it basically a "basic" FT2000 with the new firmware uploaded?

I heard people saying that the FT950 receiver was a better performer than the FT2000s. Any inputs?

My concern is really about filtering as I do a bit of contesting. Again, I know a K3 with full options should be a better performer for contesting purposes but the price tag is a bit different...

I dont really know what to do!

K3DY

ad: giga-rw