PDA

View Full Version : SCS PTC-II and regular digital modes

G4ILO
08-07-2010, 08:23 AM
I have been wondering about getting an SCS multimode controller, the PTC-II USB. Primarily I am interested in getting the best performance for HF APRS which is what my radio does most of the time while I am otherwise engaged.

I have no interest in Winlink but am interested in trying Pactor-II which people have said can hold QSOs even under very difficult conditions. Is there much activity on the mode?

I don't want to deny myself the opportunity to use PSK31 or RTTY but the SCS would plug into the rear audio connections of my transceiver and I don't want to have to grope around the back changing plugs just to use soundcard modes. I understand these controllers can do PSK and RTTY as well but I can't see from the downloadable manual how this would work - presumably you can't use the regular sound card programs with this unit?

I'm also unsure how the transceiver control works. The manual talks about "one serial cable for the transceiver." I currently have a separate serial cable to my K3 for this.

If any users of the SCS controllers could pass on their experiences to a
prospective user I would be extremely grateful.

W1SMC
10-14-2010, 01:47 PM
I just purchased the SCS PTC-II Pro and have it connected to my Ten-Tec Orion II for HF and also to my ICOM 910H for VHF/UHF Packet.

I am also using Alpha 3.2 software.

I have had no issues at all copying PSK31 and CW. I'm going to see about RTTY this weekend (JA RTTY Contest). I also hope to try the PACTOR modes soon.

This is an expensive box ..... and you get what you pay for ......

I plan on getting the additional VHF/UHF packet board soon (I already have one optional board installed . real easy to install btw).

This will allow me to run digital modes on HF / VHF / UHF simultaneously.

Great product.

Steve / W1SMC

K7GQ
10-14-2010, 03:58 PM
I have owned and operated two different SCS units when I had a very specific need for Pactor II/III. In that mode, they quite incredible. If you don't have a Pactor need, this is an extremely expensive way to obtain other digital capabilities that can be easily done with a computer and sound card.

Incidentally, there is now available a Pactor software solution called Winmor.

Harry

ad: PortRo-1