PDA

View Full Version : Help with a portable 2M antenna

KJ4NNB
07-20-2010, 01:24 AM
I have looked for a design for a portable 2M antenna, one that I can take with me on vacation. I need it to break down easy and not be too big, has to fit in luggage. I do not really care for the roll up j pole. Anyone have any idea's?

KJ4NNB
07-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Man if I get anymore ideas, I don't know what I'll do.

W9PSK
07-20-2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm

WB2WIK
07-20-2010, 10:57 PM
There isn't much beyond a roll-up j-pole or something very similar to it that will actually work and can fit into a small case.

K7WXO
07-21-2010, 01:12 AM
I guess one question is, how do you want to be able to mount/support it?

How about a modification of the roll-up J-Pole? Cut some lengths of PVC, couple couples, and make a portable freestanding model?

Or maybe a vertical dipole out of copper tubing? Not sure how that would play with the metal detectors if you are flying..

I've been working on a design for a portable 2m groundplane (folding/extending elements), though I think I've actually seen one for sale somewhere as well.

Bryan K7WXO

KJ4NNB
07-21-2010, 01:32 AM
I was hoping for something with small diameter metal tubing with pvc for frame/stand. i used the metal ribs of an umbrella and cut them to 17.5 inches. i attached the to a pice of wood spaced 1 inch apart . I attached thee feed line, coax to one radil sheild to the other with screws. SWR reading with a 10 foot coam was 2.5.. i have an idea use 1/4 inch tubing and hose clamps to secure the feed line. The pvc would act as boom and mast. But not sure what the length should be to get better SWR's.

WA8UEG
07-21-2010, 03:03 PM
You can make a ground plane from a SO239 and some solid copper wire. It could fold and tuck in your pocket if needed. A loop on the radiating element will work as a hanger, all you need is some string or fishing line to hang it with. There are a thousand various designs on the web.

OH5NXO
07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
These would be practical only as conversation pieces, I suppose :)

Designated as the "KULIKOV" Antenna, it is constructed of a series of aluminium beads strung on a steel cable, a stiff spring on the end keeps pressure against these beads and a semi rigid but flexible antenna results. Releasing this spring tension collapses the antenna allowing it to be rolled up for easy storage and the radio will receive with the antenna collapsed, thus making it harder for enemy snipers to spot the radio operator.

K8ERV
07-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I can send plans for a very good 4-element quad I made to take down for camping, but don't think it will fit into a suitcase. The diagonal is 28"

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KJ4NNB
07-22-2010, 12:57 AM
hey tom, email the plans you have. that might work, and i also wanted something similar for the shack. thanks

kj4nnb@gmail.com

K8JD
07-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Are you looking for an antenna with gain over the quarterwave GP for working long distances from a n isolated location> or just some local work? Application makes a big difference, you were rather vague on what you needed...

K8ERV
07-23-2010, 02:04 AM
I'll try but I don't think gmail allows attachments.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KJ4TWB
07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
This works well... I use it as my everyday antenna for home too.

http://www.2wayelectronix.com/1-Dual-band-2m-70cm-Slim-Jim-Antenna-dual-slim.htm

AE5JU
07-24-2010, 04:04 PM
The roll up slim jim above works very well. There is a review at Hamuniverse.com. The review reflects our experience with this antenna. Mine is the plain jane 2m version, no chokes.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/n9taxslimjimreview.html

I have one that I keep in my emergency kit, and have used it for a street event we were assisting. I have a friend in a small apartment that is using his to good effect, too.

Several versions, 2 meters only, or 2 m / 70 cm, and with or without coax. Also, you can specify the connector you want.

ad: giga-rw