PDA

View Full Version : IC-7000 or TS-480SAT

VE7KSS
06-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm looking to buy my first HF rig...I have narrowed my choice down to one of two possible choices. The Icom IC-7000 and the Kenwood TS-480sat. I've heard both are good radio's and both seem to have fairly good specifications. What I would like to hear is how they perform from the people who have used them! It would help a lot!

thanks much!

Aiyana VE7KSS

VE3FMC
06-08-2010, 01:44 AM
I'm looking to buy my first HF rig...I have narrowed my choice down to one of two possible choices. The Icom IC-7000 and the Kenwood TS-480sat. I've heard both are good radio's and both seem to have fairly good specifications. What I would like to hear is how they perform from the people who have used them! It would help a lot!

thanks much!

Aiyana VE7KSS

Hi Aiyana. I have an Icom 7000 which I have owned since Nov. 2009.

Now you have to remember that the two radios have different features.

The Icom has 2 meters and the 440 bands. The Kenwood does not have those bands.

So if you want an all in one radio then the Icom is the way to go. If you already have a dual band VHF/UHF then you might not need those bands in your HF rig. Unless of course you want to dabble with SSB on those bands.

That however requires beams and the higher the better.

If you only want to use FM on those bands I would recommend a dual band radio. The reason is that the Icom 7000 is not a strong performer on the VHF/UHF bands. It does not compare to dual band radios. I know, I just bought a Yaesu FT-8800 to use on those bands.

I found the receive is a bit weak on the Icom on 2 and 440. Others have said the same thing.

But as far as HF/6 meters the Icom is a great radio. All the filtering you need built right in. I went from an Icom 718 to the 7000 and it was whole new world as far as noise limiting, pulling weaker signals out etc.

I have used my IC-7000 on the digital modes and have had no issues. Other than you need to watch the heat from the radio. I run a small 12 VDC fan behind the radio when operating digital modes as the radio heats up a lot.

But am I happy with the rig? Yes, as far as the performance goes it is a great rig. I use a Heil iCM desk mic with mine.

That said I just bought a FT-950 which costs the same as the IC-7000. Reason I bought it is I wanted a BIG RADIO sitting on my desk. I read a lot of reviews on the FT-950 before I bought it, I did the same for the IC-7000. I did not read any bad reviews on either rig.

So it all comes down to what you want in your first radio. If you only want HF/6 meters you might want to look at the FT-950. If you want all bands in a small package then the IC-7000 is the way to go.

I can not tell you anything about the Kenwood, other than I do not like the looks of that rig. ;)

Go to EHam and read the reviews on both rigs and also the FT-950. Or join the Yahoo groups for each radio and see what owners have to say about them.

Either way you go have fun and enjoy the new rig.

73, Rick VE3FMC

KA9MOT
06-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Go read the reviews:

The Icom has allot of folks mentioning that the rig overheats (my major problem with the IC-706). Others talk about finals blowing.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5338?page=1

The Kenwood TS-480 (I own one and love it) has no mention of heating problems or final failures. It rates higher as well. Receive is OUTSTANDING.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3821

Take reviews with a grain of salt.

Here is a very good comparison of these 2 and some other rigs. Everything you want to know:
http://www.k0bg.com/miniature.html

I recommend the Kenwood....but having owned many Icoms, I must say I am biased toward Yaesu and Kenwood.

VE7KSS
06-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks so much Rick for your analysis, since I first posted here, I did make my decision, not an easy one either. It came down to price, I can get the Kenwood from an estate sale, it's new still in the box, tax free, but were I to go to the Icom 7000 or something similar, by the time I had purchased the radio, and an antenna tuner and paid the taxes...oh the taxes...well it's just out of my price range at this time.

I do already have a good radio for 2 meter and 75 cm. so that isn't really an issue with the HF rig. Next will be my antenna set up. For that I'm looking at the Chameleon V11 Dipole set up. It can go up on an extendable mast with a tripod base. It works very well for portable/emergency use and for fun in the field!

cheers!
Aiyana VE7KSS

VE3FMC
06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks so much Rick for your analysis, since I first posted here, I did make my decision, not an easy one either. It came down to price, I can get the Kenwood from an estate sale, it's new still in the box, tax free, but were I to go to the Icom 7000 or something similar, by the time I had purchased the radio, and an antenna tuner and paid the taxes...oh the taxes...well it's just out of my price range at this time.

I do already have a good radio for 2 meter and 75 cm. so that isn't really an issue with the HF rig. Next will be my antenna set up. For that I'm looking at the Chameleon V11 Dipole set up. It can go up on an extendable mast with a tripod base. It works very well for portable/emergency use and for fun in the field!

cheers!
Aiyana VE7KSS

Glad you got a good deal Aiyana. Sounds like you are happy with the purchase.

Taxes, :( No need to tell me about those. I just purchased a new FT-950 at $1350 and a new FT-8800 at $395 and the taxes added up to $226.85. :rolleyes:

I checked that antenna you want to buy. It is a 4'2". Pretty damn small for all the HF bands it claims it covers. Even when putting two of them together like the website shows. Do you have antenna restrictions?

$259 each? Wow that would buy a lot of wire and ladder line!

Funny thing was in the diagram of the antennas mounted on that mast then the coax going to the tuner, they used a drawing of an Icom 7000 :D

Could you not put up a dipole and feed it with ladder line to a 1:1 balun then a short run of coax to your tuner?

Or maybe a Hustler vertical?

I'd be hesitant about that small antenna for HF especially at that price.

Feel free to contact me via email if you have any questions, my email address is listed right here on QRZ under my call sign lookup.

73, Rick

KI6TRA
06-13-2010, 05:58 AM
I checked that antenna you want to buy. It is a 4'2". Pretty damn small for all the HF bands it claims it covers. Even when putting two of them together like the website shows. Do you have antenna restrictions?

The V1 is not 4'2" but 8'4" long. So a V11 is about 16'8" long. The V1 cover indeed 80M to 500Mhz. For sure it's never going to outperform a Log-Periodic HF Beam at 100' above ground. But a 8'4" long antenna at 10' above ground I can do California to Japan, California to Argentina, California to US East Coast on 15M - 17M & 20M on SSB phone with 20W of power. I don't know but with a signal report of 59 from florida with 20W or less of power on portable I'm not going to complain! Specially when the other station is using hundreds of watts and got almost the same reports!

You can even see the plots that the Engineers from Array Solutions did on the V1 here: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/chameleonV1.htm (at the bottom of the page)

It's pretty good for a small HF antenna.

KI6TRA

KA9MOT
06-13-2010, 06:19 AM
The V1 is not 4'2" but 8'4" long. So a V11 is about 16'8" long. The V1 cover indeed 80M to 500Mhz. For sure it's never going to outperform a Log-Periodic HF Beam at 100' above ground. But a 8'4" long antenna at 10' above ground I can do California to Japan, California to Argentina, California to US East Coast on 15M - 17M & 20M on SSB phone with 20W of power. I don't know but with a signal report of 59 from florida with 20W or less of power on portable I'm not going to complain! Specially when the other station is using hundreds of watts and got almost the same reports!

You can even see the plots that the Engineers from Array Solutions did on the V1 here: http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/chameleonV1.htm (at the bottom of the page)

It's pretty good for a small HF antenna.

KI6TRA

Carl,
I was gonna mention that I thought you must be pretty new to believe the drivel that can be found on a Manufacturers or Dealers website. They will tell you what they think will sell the item. That is not usually the truth.

So, imagine my surprise to see that you are promoting your own product.

Even you QRZ BIO is a disguised Ad for your product. You should pay Fred or Frank ( I am no longer sure anymore) for the advertising.

To my mind, a product that needs to make false testimonials is a product that is incapable of earning real testimonials.

Perusing you site Carl, I see you have the dipole version of your product (V11) set up as a vertical dipole with the feedline (coax) inches away from the bottom leg of the dipole....

KI6TRA

Looking at that site, I do see some pretty impressive SWR claims. Nothing to tell us how efficient this antenna is. SWR means nothing beyond losses in coax or how long our finals will last. Efficiency is the key here Carl, so how about some charts showing how efficient your antenna is.

KA9MOT
06-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Never mind, I copied and pasted it into the post above.

ad: dxeng