PDA

View Full Version : DRAKE TR7 Accessory Port & Interface

KA9BBV
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM
The Accessory Port on the rear of TR7 uses a P-312-CCT Jones plug with numbered binding posts. Which wires from a SignaLink USB go to which numbered binding posts to enable microphone use?

N8YX
03-28-2010, 01:12 PM
From the manual:

Pin 10 of the connector is PTT; Pin 3 is ground.

There is a "spare" RCA jack mounted above and to the left of the 12-pin Jones connector which can be used to supply external audio to the transceiver's Mic Input circuits. Note that the TR-7A had the jack pre-wired as an "Audio In" connection from the factory while the the standard TR-7 did not. You'll have to wire it yourself if this hasn't been done.

KA9BBV
03-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Good idea and I thank you. Now I need info on the wires from the SignaLink.
Have emailed Tigertronics and await their reply.

Can you tell me which pin # is for audio?
What does CCT stand for in their labeling?

I'm blushing because of my ignorance. 73 de Sandy KA9BBV
sanfran28@comcast.net

N8YX
03-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Can you tell me which pin # is for audio?

There's the rub...no "Audio" connection in that 12-pin unit. Ergo, my comments about the RCA jack.

It's a "style" suffix and AFAIK is unique to the OEM. For one thing, it conveys that the connector is a chassis-mount unit.

KA9BBV
03-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks again! You're a fount of useful information. It's good to have you around. 73 de Sandy KA9BBV.

WB2WIK
03-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Actually CCT means "cable clamp top." Cinch Jones, the originator of these designs, used a very sensible numbering system that was easy to follow.

A panel mount with mounting "ears" used suffix "AB" for "angle brackets." A CCT would never be a chassis mount connector, it's a cable end connector always.

"P" stands for "plug." "S" stands for "socket." "3" is the terminal series size. XX following the "3" is the number of pins in the connector.

So a P-312-CCT was a Plug, Series 3, with 12 pins, and a Cable Clamp Top.

It would plug into a chassis style S-312-AB, for Socket, Series 3, 12 pins, Angle Brackets.

WB2WIK/6

N8YX
03-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Actually CCT means "cable clamp top." Cinch Jones, the originator of these designs, used a very sensible numbering system that was easy to follow.
Thanks for explaining it! :)

WB2WIK
03-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for explaining it! :)

I'm probably older.;)

We had to learn this stuff to be able to find surplus parts to build our equipment. I still have cigar boxes filled with Cinch Jones connector parts...from the mid-60's.:p

N8YX
03-28-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm probably older.;)

We had to learn this stuff to be able to find surplus parts to build our equipment. I still have cigar boxes filled with Cinch Jones connector parts...from the mid-60's.:p
Guilty. I've got quite a few of the Drake-specific connectors.

Do you happen to have any of the 4-pin variety which Kenwood, Yaesu and KDK (KLM) used as a power connector on some of their gear? These are the ones with two of the blades set at right angles to the others. Need a couple female ("P") series.

W0LPQ
03-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Fred how many do you need?? I have some...

N8YX
03-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Two or three would do.

Thanks!

WB2WIK
03-28-2010, 10:43 PM

The amps had the male chassis mount connectors on them, type P-304-AB. The mating connector is an S-304-CCT. Not rare nor unusual, still available.

KA9BBV
03-29-2010, 12:39 AM
You two guys are great. Glad I got into this forum. Keep up the good work.
I'm older than either of you but dumber. Sandy KA9BBv.

ad: AC6LA-1