PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Radio Novels and Stories

WA4BRL
03-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I am looking for more Amateur Radio novels, short stories, childrens' books, etc. to collect and read. It doesn't matter whether Ham Radio is central to the plot or just incidental in the story, I'm still interested. Here's a list of what I know of and own now:

Radio Rescue ..................... Lynn Barasch ......................... K-3rd
Today I am a Ham .............. Ethelyn M. Parkinson ............... Young teen
The Short-Wave Mystery ..... Franklin W Dixon ..................... Teen (Hardy Boys Mystery #24)
SOS at Midnight ................. Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ......... Teen
CQ Ghost Ship ................... Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ......... Teen
DX Brings Danger ................ Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ........ Teen
Death Valley QTH ............... Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ......... Teen
36. Grand Canyon QSO ........ Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ......... Teen
Night Signals ...................... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
Hostage in the Woods .......... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
Firewatch! ......................... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
Easy Target ....................... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
Disappearing Act ................. Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
A Spark From the Past ......... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
The French Atlantic Affair ..... Ernest Lehman K6DXK .............. Adult

Can you guys point out any other books I can look for?

Thanks!

W6ONV
03-25-2010, 08:49 PM
The Complete DX'er by Bob Locher (W9KNI), a great read!

KL7AJ
03-25-2010, 08:52 PM
I am looking for more Amateur Radio novels, short stories, childrens' books, etc. to collect and read. It doesn't matter whether Ham Radio is central to the plot or just incidental in the story, I'm still interested. Here's a list of what I know of and own now:

Radio Rescue ..................... Lynn Barasch ......................... K-3rd
Today I am a Ham .............. Ethelyn M. Parkinson ............... Young teen
The Short-Wave Mystery ..... Franklin W Dixon ..................... Teen (Hardy Boys Mystery #24)
SOS at Midnight ................. Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ......... Teen
CQ Ghost Ship ................... Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ......... Teen
DX Brings Danger ................ Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ........ Teen
Death Valley QTH ............... Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ......... Teen
36. Grand Canyon QSO ........ Walker A Tompkins K6ATX ......... Teen
Night Signals ...................... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
Hostage in the Woods .......... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
Firewatch! ......................... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
Easy Target ....................... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
Disappearing Act ................. Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
A Spark From the Past ......... Cynthia Wall KA7ITT ................ Teen
The French Atlantic Affair ..... Ernest Lehman K6DXK .............. Adult

Can you guys point out any other books I can look for?

Thanks!

I wrote a short story, "The Bunny Hunt from Hell" but for some reason ARRL wouldn't publish it. :)

eric

K7GQ
03-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I sort of grew with the Carl and Jerry stories from Popular Electronics, found at http://home.gwi.net/~jdebell/pe/cj/cnjindex.htm. As I recall, some of them referenced ham radio.

However, the ones I've come to really appreciate are the DX-themed stores found at VE1DX's site, especially of those from from Hugh Cassidy:

http://www.ve1dx.net/Stories/stories.html

WB2WIK
03-25-2010, 09:49 PM
This isn't a novel or even a book but one of the best "ham radio" stories I think I've ever read was Mel Shavelson's (W6VLH) "How to Make a Jewish Movie," in the October 1971 QST.

Mel was not only an avid ham and DXer but a movie director, producer and screenwriter...and a very good writer.

You can download the article from the ARRL website if you're a member. It's a very entertaining story for hams and non-hams alike.

KL7AJ
03-25-2010, 10:01 PM
This isn't a novel or even a book but one of the best "ham radio" stories I think I've ever read was Mel Shavelson's (W6VLH) "How to Make a Jewish Movie," in the October 1971 QST.

Mel was not only an avid ham and DXer but a movie director, producer and screenwriter...and a very good writer.

You can download the article from the ARRL website if you're a member. It's a very entertaining story for hams and non-hams alike.

I'm still trying to make a Gentile movie. :)

Eric

KC4LNX
03-26-2010, 01:20 AM
Check out the "MAD SCIENTIST CLUB'' excellent , classic, book for kids ( and adults). The kids have a club with ham radio gear and get involved in a lot of situations. joe b

N2UGB
03-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Back in the 1920's there was a series of books called the "Radio Boys". Primary audience, adolescent males with a passion for early wireless. The main characters experienced many adventures with early radio an integral part of the story. Not technical but interesting reading which holds up as the writing is quite literate. Hard to believe there was a time when teenagers were able to read gramatically correct English. Speak it, too.

Amazon has some of the original old hardcovers and there is a series of paperback reprints available.

Fun reading even for adults.

NA0AA
03-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Back in the 1920's there was a series of books called the "Radio Boys". Primary audience, adolescent males with a passion for early wireless. The main characters experienced many adventures with early radio an integral part of the story. Not technical but interesting reading which holds up as the writing is quite literate. Hard to believe there was a time when teenagers were able to read gramatically correct English. Speak it, too.

Amazon has some of the original old hardcovers and there is a series of paperback reprints available.

Fun reading even for adults.

205'd damnit, my computer farked and lost my reply;

I have three of the Radio Boys books:

TRB At the Sending Station
TRB At Mountain Pass
TRB With the Iceberg Patrol

Allen Chapman is the name on the covers. I though them juvenile beyond tolerance, but they are about the same as the Hardy Boys books - in these three, the boys don't even have a transmitter of their own yet, they all have homebrew receivers of various kinds.

Also:

Kay Everett Calls CQ by Amelia Lobenz - a teen girl book about two high school girls who drive across country with a ham radio and a small trailer camper, and their adventures along the way. One girl is licensed, the other wants to be.

WA4BRL
03-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've already ordered several from AbeBooks.com and I look forward to reading them. More important, I like having a variety of interesting children's books for my kids -- well,OK, my grandkids now -- to read.

If anyone still has ideas for more good "radio" books, keep on posting.

KL7AJ
03-27-2010, 02:51 AM

Steve:

That article was HILARIOUS. Alas, it was only a chapter. Do you know where I could get the entire book?

In these parts, I AM Jakov the Electrician. :)

Eric

W8MLD
03-27-2010, 10:38 PM
I sort of grew with the Carl and Jerry stories from Popular Electronics, found at http://home.gwi.net/~jdebell/pe/cj/cnjindex.htm. As I recall, some of them referenced ham radio.

However, the ones I've come to really appreciate are the DX-themed stores found at VE1DX's site, especially of those from from Hugh Cassidy:

http://www.ve1dx.net/Stories/stories.html

I checked these stories out and so far I have enjoyed the ones I read. Really good little short stories. Thnx for the page.

WA4BRL
03-28-2010, 04:58 AM

I went to the QST online archives to read Mel's story. Great fun -- Ernie and Yaakov and the Italians and the Jewish firemen and the polaroids...

And then at the bottom of page 66 is the message: "continued on page 150". But there is no page 150 in the scanned file. The horror! The horror! What's a goyish mensch reader to do? :confused:

So I went to abebooks.com and ordered a copy of the book. :) Sounds like a lot of fun anyway!

N8CPA
03-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I went to the QST online archives to read Mel's story. Great fun -- Ernie and Yaakov and the Italians and the Jewish firemen and the polaroids...

And then at the bottom of page 66 is the message: "continued on page 150". But there is no page 150 in the scanned file. The horror! The horror! What's a goyish mensch reader to do? :confused:

Have a Hebrew National Hotdog. It's a goy's best friend! :D

WA4BRL
04-13-2010, 02:22 AM
I received my copy of "How to Make a Jewish Movie" over the weekend. It is a lot of fun reading it -- especially that chapter eighteen! Mel W6VLH and his friend Ernie K6DXK conspiring to effect amateur radio communicationss between Israel and Hollywood!

Abebooks.com is your friend. You can even get K6DXK (now SK) Ernest Lehman's novel including ham radio, "The French Atlantic Affair" via that site. There is even a first edition available, signed by Mr. Lehman, offered for about $18 shipped to your door.

KI6DCB
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Steve:

That article was HILARIOUS. Alas, it was only a chapter. Do you know where I could get the entire book?

In these parts, I AM Jakov the Electrician. :)

Eric

If you don't stop that, you'll go blind.

WA6ITF
04-15-2010, 01:39 AM

Mel also wrote a sequel -- with nothing about ham radio mentioned in it -- titled "How to Make A Yiddish Musical." Its on-line at: http://www.jewishjournal.com/articles/item/how_to_make_a_yiddish_musical_20000512/

WB3BEL
04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Back in the 1920's there was a series of books called the "Radio Boys". Primary audience, adolescent males with a passion for early wireless...

Some of these Radio Boys books are available online for free or donation:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Enter radio boys in the title words box and hit Go. Select one of returned titles and download. You can read online in HTML format or some other formats for e-readers.

Here is an example HTML link for "The Radio Boys Trailing a Voice, Solving A Wireless Mystery" by Allen Chapman.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/25858/25858-h/25858-h.htm

Not really quality literature, but perhaps a diversion...

W4KTL
04-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Not ham radio, but shortwave utility monitoring is a part of the plot in the book Alas Babylon, by Pat Frank.

KB9LXP
04-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Not ham radio, but shortwave utility monitoring is a part of the plot in the book Alas Babylon, by Pat Frank.

OHHHH, that was a good story :D:D:D
Mike

KI6DCB
04-18-2010, 04:32 AM
OHHHH, that was a good story :D:D:D
Mike

That reminds me: I need to sell the Pontiac and get a Model A.

W4KTL
04-19-2010, 04:20 AM
That reminds me: I need to sell the Pontiac and get a Model A.

LOL, and don't forget about using the goldfish for bait.

K4KYV
04-23-2010, 06:29 PM
The only thing hokier than ham radio novels is ham radio poems.

WA4BRL
04-23-2010, 07:33 PM
The only thing hokier than ham radio novels...
So I take it you haven't read "The French Atlantic Affair" by Ernest Lehman, K6DXK (sk)?

K4KYV
04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Haven't read that one, and am not saying a serious novel couldn't have some realistically portrayed amateur radio content. I'm thinking more in terms of drivel like CQ Ghost Ship and DX Brings Danger, that were widely publicised a couple of decades ago. Don't forget to request your secret decoder ring.

What I find more repulsive is around Xmas time every year we have to endure all the attempted rewrites of T'was a Night Before Christmas to some kind of ham radio theme.

WA6MHZ
04-23-2010, 10:10 PM
LOL, and don't forget about using the goldfish for bait.

I've got goldfish now that are bigger than the fish you expect to catch!

WA4BRL
04-24-2010, 12:53 AM
...What I find more repulsive is around Xmas time every year we have to endure all the attempted rewrites of T'was a Night Before Christmas to some kind of ham radio theme.
Yeah. Too true!

W4PG
04-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Hhhmmmm . . . . thought I posted this.

"The Agenda 21 Conspiracy" is written by NN4RR (http://www.nlwilliamswriter.com/) and for conspiracy buffs makes a great read!

ad: PortRo-1