PDA

View Full Version : HRD Not Working with ICOM-706 MK2G

AI4RA
03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Maybe some of y'all can help me out here! I am currently using a ICOM-706 MK2G with a Signalink USB interface and Digipan on PSK-31. Digipan works great with this rig! However, I want to use a software program with a bit more capabilities and that works seamlessly with a logging program, so I thought I'd try HRD.

The computer is a late model Toshiba laptop (sorry, don't have the model number but it has a Pentium dual core processor of at least 2.0 GHz and 3 GB of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive) running Windows Vista SP2.

I successfully downloaded the software but it will not connect with the rig. It does not read the frequency or even seem to "see" the radio at all. I tried checking and unchecking the DTR and RTS boxes, tried changing the default code for the rig, and other things, all to no avail. The Signalink USB interface is switched on (yes, I did check that) and connected to the computer's USB port and ICOM's data port via the ICOM interface they sent that works with the 706, 718 and other rigs. The Signalink works perfectly on Digipan and I have made many QSO's with it both domestic and DX. I would like to use HRD, though, because of its apparently awesome capabilities and its coverage of modes other than PSK-31.

Can any of you help? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks and 73,
Raf

KB4QAA
03-18-2010, 03:01 PM
You don't mention it but have you checked that the data baud rate is the same on both radio and HRD?

I don't think it comes into play in this question, but as I recall the 706 has a very limited command set for remote control. You can't do things like write to memory,etc. The list of commands is in the operators manual.

Good luck!

W4PG
03-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Are you sure you have the com port set correctly? Baud rate?

PS: Can you even connect to this rig?? Obviously you can set up PSK with an interface if one hooks up the audio, but I wasn't aware (even though I have one!! It's in the mobile . . . ) that there was a port for computer interfacing.

AI4RA
03-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. W4PG, as far as I know it is possible to interface the 706 to HRD (and to a computer) as it seems others on QRZ have done it and I can get the computer to interface with the rig via Digipan to do PSK-31 (through the Signalink USB box). I'm not really looking to control the radio so much from HRD (although that would be nice), but just to get HRD to connect to the rig so I can use the digital modes.

For some reason, it's not working for me. I tried all the different baud rates and none of those would work. I also tried Auto Connect - didn't work either.

Any of you who have successfully connected your ICOM-706 to HRD, please let me know what settings you have used to make it happen. Thanks!

KE5MC
03-18-2010, 06:00 PM
One of the digital programs in the HRD package is DM780. Not that I have used DM780 stand alone, but I see no reason it should not work. The DM780 window will just not receive radio information from the control program of HRD nor will it pass frequency or control commands from DM780 via the control program to the radio. The only thing DM780 is interested in is the audio from and to your rig which you have setup thur the Signalink connections. Control of the rig will be the serial port.

Just to repeat what was in another post was which hardware comport are you connected to and what comport is HRD control program trying to use?

My setup is a Kenwood 2000, Signalink USB, HRD and a laptop running XP SP3. Different from yours but the overall connection is basically the same. The only thing I could be missing is that DM780 will not run stand alone and I am not knowledgeable of the control path to and from a 706.

...but just to get HRD to connect to the rig so I can use the digital modes.

KB1NXE
03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
I have an Icom 706 MkIIG sucessfully connected to HRD via a CT-17 interface for the rig control and a SignaLink USB.

It sounds to me you are expecting a rig control connection to also support your audio interfacing. This is not the case. You need both.

Here's how I have my set up:

Computer > Serial Port 4 (I have an add on card with 4 serial ports comm 2-5) > CT-17 > Cable to 706. There are USB cables available off the Internet for this purpose as well.

706 Packet port (Mini-6 Pin jack on rear) > SignaLink USB > USB Port on same computer.

HRD controls the rig just fine. I have it set to COMM 4 at 19200. I also select the 706 MkIIG from the rig list (after choosing ICOM).

DM-780 controls the SignaLink just fine. The SignaLink interfaces with the 706 perfectly. You MUST select the correct sound card in the options of DM-780 for the SignaLink (USB CODEC).

What are your specific errors? Do you see anything in the waterfall display on DM-780? If you do and are trying to transmit and nothing is happening, do you have all your levels set correctly? Do you have your header in the USB set correctly? How do you have it cabled up?

We can help, but at the very least, I need more information.

Jim - KB1NXE

AB8ZL
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
We need a sticky.

Audio Interfaces do not perform Rig Control. They are two different functions.

There are a couple of audio interfaces that also include rig control functions but the vast majority do not. What you need is http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-CI-V-CAT-INTERFACE-CABLE-for-ICOM-CT-17-IC-706-NEW_W0QQitemZ120532262205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c10485d3d (http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-CI-V-CAT-INTERFACE-CABLE-for-ICOM-CT-17-IC-706-NEW_W0QQitemZ120532262205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item1c10485d3d).

AI4RA
03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. Being new to the digital world, I realized that I need the CT-17 interface cable for HRD to control the rig. I don't have that right now, so obviously HRD won't be able to read or control the 706. I have tried to use DM 780 by itself and don't get anything on the waterfall display. I will check the settings as you guys have suggested and let you know what happens.

Is it possible to use the HRD logbook function without the CT-17 cable?

KE5MC
03-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Check the options in DM780 and make sure the sound card selected is the Signalink USB and not the computer's sound card. It is not listed as Signalink and I am not at home to check the name you should be looking for.

Logbook should work, but again I have not tried it stand alone. You will have to manually enter Frequency, band and mode for new contacts which normally would be tracked for you with connection to the radio by way of the control part of HRD.

AI4RA
03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I finally got the IC-706 to work with HRD using DM780 only. Being new to PSK and digital in general, and especially HRD, I didn't realize that one needs a C-IV cable to connect the 706 to the computer to allow the computer to control it. The Signalink interface will NOT do this for you and a separate cable is needed for HRD to control your radio via the computer. To those of you who have done digital for a while this is old hat but for me it was a revelation, hi hi!

I wound up uninstalling and reinstalling HRD to version 4, which allows access to DM780 from within the program. I linked the interface to the COM3 port on the computer and made sure the codecs for the Signalink were selected in the input and output pull downs within DM780. Everything now works FB with the Signalink interface and I've made quite a few contacts using this setup. There is a logbook within DM780 and I have been using that to keep a record of my contacts. It also will upload to eQSL.

Thanks for the help and maybe I'll QSO with some of y'all on PSK soon!
73, Raf

KE5MC
03-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Good to hear you got it working. Always nice to hear the comments where helpful.

73, Mike

ad: rfparts