PDA

View Full Version : HT Antenna selection help for new Ham...

THADSTER
03-09-2010, 02:42 AM
First off new Ham here, KF7HPA is my fresh new callsign.

I have a Yaesu VX8 and am ready to lose the rubber duck. The Yaesu is a three band radio (50/144/430 mhz). I have found 2 antennas that rate pretty highly on eham. One is a ht antenna the other is a mag mount for the car..

The mag mount is a Diamond MR77SMA. Its a dual band 144/430, I realize I will be losing the 50mhz band, but is there a decent triband mobile antenna available?

The antenna for the HT is a Diamond SRH77CA a dual bander as well. The same question here, is there a decent triband antenna available?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Thadster
KF7HPA

K7MH
03-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Take a look at the Diamond Antennas or Comet Antennas websites and see what all they offer.
Maybe the AES or HRO websites as well. A catalog from either (or both!) is a handy thing to have in the shack.

KB4QAA
03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
The simplest thing you can do is to take a piece of insulated wire 19 inches long with a couple inches stripped, wrap the stripped end around the antenna connector base. This will act as a counterpoise and probably double your Rx/Tx strength.

Bill

W6RSL
03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
If you want to use 50mhz on an HT, get another antenna to cover that band.

I’ve been using a Pryme RD-98 for years on my Yaesu VX-5R. I have the VX8 and I bought an RD-98 antenna for it also. I tried to use 50mhz with the stock antenna but I never had any luck so I don't use it.

KB3TZK
03-09-2010, 12:47 PM
The simplest thing you can do is to take a piece of insulated wire 19 inches long with a couple inches stripped, wrap the stripped end around the antenna connector base. This will act as a counterpoise and probably double your Rx/Tx strength.

This is called a "tiger tail" or a "rat tail". I built one for my VX-6R. It does nothing for reception but seriously helps transmission. I used this guy's video for inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULynXY1Gq5g

In my case, I took a ring connector (whereas I think in the video a spade is used) which I filed to fit over the SMA connector.

I've replaced the rubber ducky with the SRHF40A. It helped with both reception and transmission but it is a two-band antenna.

KI6DKC
03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
A good antenna can make a HT come alive. I have a Diamond HT antenna that I added to my Kenwood TH-F6A that helped a little but it was basically a long rubber duck that recieved and transmitted a little better. Where I found my greatest success was adding a Larson whip to my vehicle and a dual band J-Pole for the house. I think I got both for about the price I paid for the diamond antenna. Of course I had to make the J-Pole. I used the HT mobile for a while with great success. Even with just five watts HTs can make great little radios if they have a good antenna.

KJ6CNS
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
A good antenna can make a HT come alive. I have a Diamond HT antenna that I added to my Kenwood TH-F6A that helped a little but it was basically a long rubber duck that recieved and transmitted a little better. Where I found my greatest success was adding a Larson whip to my vehicle and a dual band J-Pole for the house. I think I got both for about the price I paid for the diamond antenna. Of course I had to make the J-Pole. I used the HT mobile for a while with great success. Even with just five watts HTs can make great little radios if they have a good antenna.

I have to agree. I read all kinds of things on the internet and thus went out and bought the diamond SRH77CA. Did it improve things? Well mathematically speaking I guess, but its not what I was looking for.

I guess the best way to explain it would be to say its like being hungry and buying one spoon of food.

KI6DKC
03-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I have to agree. I read all kinds of things on the internet and thus went out and bought the diamond SRH77CA. Did it improve things? Well mathematically speaking I guess, but its not what I was looking for.

I guess the best way to explain it would be to say its like being hungry and buying one spoon of food.

Yep, that's what I did, read a bunch of stuff on the internet and thought that the Diamond HT antenna would make everything perfect. Maybe the fact that the antenna was three times longer than the stock rubber duck had more to do with it than the magical properties of the Diamond but all I got was an extra HT antenna for the pile that was too long to pack around. Maybe if I was on the borderline of getting performance out of the stock rubber duck I might have noticed a difference but for me, I couldn't hit the repeaters before the diamond HT antenna and still couldn't hit them afterwards. Recieve was slightly better but I was no better off than I was before. Your spoon anology was right on. Live and learn I guess. At the time though it was fustrating being a new Technician with an expensive HT and no way to use it. Fortunatly, my old scoutmaster helped me understand how a good antenna could make it work and I was able to finally get on the air.