PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever talked to your old radio?

N0IU
02-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Has this ever happened to you? OK, so you sold your HF rig (through the QRZ classifieds of course!) and one day while tuning across the bands, you hear someone calling CQ or someone answers your CQ and it is the person to whom you sold your rig!

It hasn't happened to me... yet! I sold one radio to someone in Krygystan (yes, really!) and another to someone in Florida. and I haven't run across either of them. Also, I am the third owner of a Ten Tec rig and I haven't talked to either of the previous two owners on the air yet either.

What about you. Have you talked to someone using one of your old radios?

W4XK
02-26-2010, 04:56 AM
I built a Heathkit DX-100 about 1955-56 and used it for a couple of years.
Traded it in on some mobile equipment in 1958. About 1960, while living in
California, I hooked up with K4VIK in Tennessee and, during our chat, found
out that he was using the rig I had built a few years before!

73, Bill

K6JJH
02-26-2010, 05:22 AM
I once talked to a guy over the radio that was sleeping with my Ex. Does that count?

:D

KF7EFX
02-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Do VHF mobile rigs count? :laughing:

KI6DKC
02-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I once talked to a guy over the radio that was sleeping with my Ex. Does that count?

:D

Did you extend him your sympathies?

KA5S
02-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Nooo... but I once saw my old HW8 for sale at the monthly Dallas swap meet, in Texas, YEARS after I'd sold it while stationed there. Had a former old call sign scratched in a corner of the back panel.

Cortland
KA5S

VE3FMC
02-27-2010, 05:27 PM
I have talked to my old radio.

I also have a friend who I sold some coax too. He then sold it. At a local hamfest he bought some coax. When he got it home he realized it was the coax he had sold some time earlier! Recycled RG-213 :D

I also have a SB-200 amp I got in a trade. The friend I traded with had traded a Kenwood TS-520, VFO 520 MC 50, SP 520 for that amp.

I ended up buying that Kenwood package off the guy who traded the SB-200 amp to my friend. Then I traded that Kenwood package back to my friend who I got the SB-200 from!

That Kenwood TS-520 has been around the block more than the town bike :D

WA7PRC
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
No. However, one day while perusing the high class junque at the Mike & Key ARC swapmeet in Puyallup, I happened upon something else.
In high school, we had an educational FM broadcast station (KNHC FM). At one point, we used an exciter-PA made by Sparta. I found the 10W exciter on someone's used swapmeet table! I declined to bid on it, as it spent a lot of time on the repair bench! :rolleyes:
Bryan WA7PRC

ad: dxeng