PDA

View Full Version : Echolink from the transceiver side

KF5CSW
12-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi,

I have my first 2m tranceiver on the way. Until then, I've been using Echolink. I was somewhat mystified to hear people in one conference talking from their car mobiles from different parts of the USA all at once. I've never seen Echolink from the transceiver side, only from the computer program. I'm starting to get the idea that I may be able to do this, too, with my ordinary 2m mobile and an echolink repeater. Can someone tell me how this works?

I can't do IRLP from my computer as it's not Linux, but can I do IRLP from my radio from the "other" side?
And can someone tell me some of the added features of mobiles: What is WIRES?

WS2L
12-22-2009, 02:04 PM
It does not matter weather or not you use Echolink to run a R-epeater, L-ink, U-ser or Conference they all use the same software. There is a function menu in the software to choose between a L-ink or R-epeater. The only interface you need can be found most anywhere but West Mountain Radio I found is exceptional. If you need more information send me a PM.

W0GI
12-22-2009, 04:00 PM
An echolink repeater is hooked to the internet, and re-broadcasts echolink connections along with the actual RF stations to the input, both over the air and on echolink.

Since the repeater and software do the work, you operate into an echolink repeater exactly the same as any other repeater.

A link is different, as it uses one simplex frequency. It will only transmit stations connecting through echolink, but will not re-transmit RF signals in.

I setup a link years ago for fun, and it worked like this. My PC, running echolink, was hooked to a 2M rig through a soundcard interface. I set up my echolink ID as a link. At that point, I could use an HT and punch in the correct ID to connect to other echolink repeaters, then operate into that repeater with a remote HT.

The 2M rig connected to the PC, would send my HT transmissions to the remote repeater through the internet, and the 2M rig connected to the PC would transmit the activity from the remote repeater to my HT.

It was fun to be at a neighbors house, and connect to a repeater in New Zealand with the HT. They thought it was cool, and didn't whine about all those ugly antennas anymore. I never told them that the ugly antennas that they could see had nothing to do with it.

But the novelty wears off after a while. HF is a lot better. :)

K0RGR
12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
I went to the Echolink.org site and searched for Echolink repeaters near your home town, and came up empty - the nearest was in Joplin, MO.. However, there are three IRLP nodes near you:

3595 W9NSS AR 146.6100 127.3 4.62
3953 NX5V AR 443.6500 97.4 13.08
3298 AD5ZX AR 442.5250 100.0 18.02

IRLP is quite a bit like EchoLink, except that there is no way to access it from the Internet. IRLP is used to strictly link repeaters. There are a number of conferences, some of which are very active.

A radio is all you need to use IRLP. But, you will need to talk to the repeater/node owner about using it on the local machines.

KF5CSW
12-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I went to the Echolink.org site and searched for Echolink repeaters near your home town, and came up empty - the nearest was in Joplin, MO.. However, there are three IRLP nodes near you:

3595 W9NSS AR 146.6100 127.3 4.62
3953 NX5V AR 443.6500 97.4 13.08
3298 AD5ZX AR 442.5250 100.0 18.02

NX5V also has an Echolink (thank you Charles Farmer! :)). I can't find the page at the moment, though. I use it to talk/listen to people down in the Springdale area. Unfortunately, it's a UHF repeater, so I won't be able to talk thru that one on my 2m, unless there is a linked 2m repeater, which there may well be.

K9KJM
12-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Sorry to hear you already ordered a single band radio only. A true DUAL band is LOTS more capable of doing many more things, Cross band repeat, etc. (Yaesu FT 8800 is a good choice in new rigs, The older Icom 2350H, 2710, 2800 were other good ones) If/when you go shopping for a hand held, Do go for a dual band! The little micro size Yaesu VX3, Or the full power FT 60, Or the (More expensive) VX 7 and VX 8. Another radio that can really do it all is the fine Kenwood TS 2000.

Echolink is a really GREAT program that can do a LOT! (Including link repeaters just like IRLP, Making IRLP pretty much obsolete)

There are lots of ways to interface your radio with Echolink, West Mountain Radio does have some good interfaces. After fooling with a few homebrew units, I eventually went with some "Rigblasters"

KB9HGI
06-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I use the rigblaster Nomic for my interface and it's only $59.00 I have a blast on my linked system I set out on my patio out back and take my HT and talk all over and have met some very good friends while I been on there. I can get into my linked radio from just about anywhere when I'm mobile. I rarely get on any of the local repeaters. I monitor my link most of the time on a simplex frequency. Most of the repeaters here are dead it's either echolink and HF here for me.

N6LTU
06-13-2010, 06:22 AM
I have a old TR-9000 all mode with out a tone board or DTMF mic. Could I still set up a Echolink simplex link with a Rigblaster Nomic, like W0GI did?

N6LTU

K0RGR
06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I have a old TR-9000 all mode with out a tone board or DTMF mic. Could I still set up a Echolink simplex link with a Rigblaster Nomic, like W0GI did?

N6LTU

Probably - you'd have to figure out the connections for the mike and audio, but it should work.

However, once again, that would be a waste of a nice SSB rig. I bet you could sell that 9000 and use the proceeds to buy several nice FM rigs. I see someone has one on EBay right now that has been bid up to $436. You could buy a lot of used FM rigs for that!

N0WYO
06-16-2010, 04:55 AM
I was fortunate enough to have a repeater owner ask me to set up my echolink node on his repeater. So everthing I connect to comes out locally on that repeater. He runs a linked system with two repeaters connected through a 70 CM hub. We're expecting a third repeater on this network soon, so my node will be heard throughout central Nebraska.

LTU, if you go with a nomic, it should be a walk in the park figuring out the mic wiring. You may even see the wiring in the manual that comes with the nomic.

N6LTU
06-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I've got a Nomic and it looks like the bigger problem is going to be converting the RJ45 plug to a 6 pin connector that the TR-9000 uses. The nomic has a RJ45 to 8 pin connector. Any ideas to solve that issue?

N6LTU - Doug

N0WYO
06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
I've got a Nomic and it looks like the bigger problem is going to be converting the RJ45 plug to a 6 pin connector that the TR-9000 uses. The nomic has a RJ45 to 8 pin connector. Any ideas to solve that issue?

N6LTU - Doug

Looks like you're gonna have to homebrew your own connection. You'll need the wiring diagram for that radio which should be in the owners manual. If you don't have that, they can be found in PDF format on the internet.

Sorry that isn't much help. I checked West Mountain Radio, and they don't offer a six pin plug and cord as an accessory for the rigblasters.

N6LTU
06-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, that was I figured I would do homebrew my own cable. I will contact West Mountain Radio and see if they have such a cable just to be sure.

N6LTU - Doug

N0WYO
06-16-2010, 05:27 PM
That would be a good idea. I think they will fabricate one for you if you want them to. I'm not sure.

KC2UGV
06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeah, that was I figured I would do homebrew my own cable. I will contact West Mountain Radio and see if they have such a cable just to be sure.

N6LTU - Doug

Cut a ethernet patch cable in half, and wire it yourself?

N1BHH
08-02-2010, 01:50 AM
I have my RF node set up on an FT8800R at present and it works fine. I only want to be able to talk back to it from work or on the road throughout my area. I will be changing to another radio, probably it will be the FT-2900 because I want the 8800 in the car. A single band radio is the way to go at a home RF node.

My interface is the Rascal which was easier to set up once I used the microphone and speaker connections. The data jack connection has low audio and isn't suitable for me.

http://www.hamradioexpress.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=ef86776485642ac6d8388f5629fcf648

ad: dxeng