PDA

View Full Version : Yaesu FT-2800M Junk

N3DDB
10-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Bought this two years ago. Performed poorly so I hardly used it. At first I thought I had an antenna problem. I have only used it about 10 hours. Last week it stopped transmitting on high power. Put the Bird on it and had no output. Switched to low power and had 4 watts out...for about 10 minutes then nothing. Talked with others having the same problem. They replaced finals only to have them go in a week. I called Yaesu and immediately they said I needed new finals. Seems like Yaesu has a design problem. I would not recommend this radio to anyone.

W0GI
10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
That radio doesn't have a very good rating.

It may have also taken out the drivers.

I would imagine that the repair would be as much or more then a new rig.

I have an FT-1802 that was $135, and it works great.

I went through the same thing with the FT817 I bought in 2001. Blown drivers and finals. I think Yaesu should have stepped up on that one, but they didn't. I replaced the PA board with the 817N version, and the drivers with higher rated Mitsubishi mosfets. I also reversed the coax on the PA board input.

I probably won't have anymore problems, but Yaesu could have designed it right in the first place. The cost was $50 for the PA board, and $5 for the drivers, so it wasn't the end of the world, but my opinion on Yaesu would be higher, if they did the right thing, and supplied the properly designed PA board for free.

But then, when I look at new rigs, Yaesu is on the bottom of the list, so they probably will lose money on charging that $50. :)

KJ4CYC
10-19-2009, 11:20 PM
I have a Yaesu 2800M and have had no problems with it what so ever. I used it in the Mobile for awhile and now use it as a base hooked up to a homebrew 2 meter J-Pole. maybe I got lucky and by chance got a good one. I've had it for about 2yrs now. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it in the future. As for my experience I would recommend it to others but after reading this post I think I'll wait a few more years just to make sure mine doesn't end up the same way as yours.

I wonder if there are different finals and drivers in mine from the factory as opposed to yours? maybe Yaesu changed a few parts if they started getting a lot of complaints.. Who knows, I just know so far mine has worked flawlessly.

2E0WHN
10-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Had mine for 2 years or more new from box. Worked well for me. Even on freeband using a softmod it worked just the same.

Sold it on for some money and have heard no complaints.

K4AX
10-20-2009, 08:39 AM
I have a friend with the same rig that had the same problem recently. It was in his mobile and he hardly used it, had it less than a year.
Couple the final problem with the over modulated tone, and it makes this a rig to avoid. I'd be curious to see if they improved on the design with the FT-2900.

Bought this two years ago. Performed poorly so I hardly used it. At first I thought I had an antenna problem. I have only used it about 10 hours. Last week it stopped transmitting on high power. Put the Bird on it and had no output. Switched to low power and had 4 watts out...for about 10 minutes then nothing. Talked with others having the same problem. They replaced finals only to have them go in a week. I called Yaesu and immediately they said I needed new finals. Seems like Yaesu has a design problem. I would not recommend this radio to anyone.

NN4RH
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Had mine five years mobile with no problems at all.

You do have to make sure to provide enough ventilation around it and not have it in full sunlight if you tend to be long-winded. Otherwise it can get pretty hot at full power.

N5WVX
10-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I HAVE YAESU 2800 M BIG PIECE OF JUNK,BOUGHT NEW I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND IT ....I THINK YAESU SHOULD MAKE GOOD ON THEM...FOR THOSE WHO SAY THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THERES GET RID OF IT WHILE IT WORKS.....
N5WVX

KG4RUL
10-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Berkeley County ARES/RACES has equipped four American Red Cross disaster shelters with FT-2800M radios. Plans are in the works to equip six more. We have had no problems with these radios at all.

AE5JU
10-22-2009, 01:54 AM
One 2800M in the station, another in the vehicle, no problems.

K4AX
10-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Do any of you that have these that don't have trouble with them.. notice a over modulated CTSS tone with them? Every one that I have ever heard on the air that was on a repeater requiring tones it was evident. In fact, whenever I hear a new ham on the air, and I hear that hum in the back ground, I always ask if they have a FT-2800m, and... they usually do.

I think I stated in my last post I knew of one local that blew the finals on it, now that I think about it, I know of another, but it's been over a year. One guy had one in his car, mounted on top of the center console, completely in the clear with nothing to hinder it's cooling. The other had one sitting on a desk at home.

I would imagine that they have fixed this problems with the FT-2900, I hope so, I like the radio itself, large display, huge heatsink, and a bit of extra power.

One 2800M in the station, another in the vehicle, no problems.

KD8IYU
11-22-2009, 04:13 AM
bang 4 the buck, i suggest the FT1802ME. I have used this unit hard core in my van with a Diamond NMO (60 mile coverage in average cond.) and used the radio on all power settings with no issues whatsoever...up to 50 watts, its a basic, solid mobile unit thats easy to program from the start without stopping on your trip and reading the manual for the next hour !!!

KB0YYO
12-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I have had my 2800 for a little over 2 years and have no problems with it. Just operator error in programing it.:o
It is used as a base with a Hombrew J pole. No receive or transmit problems at all.
No complaints about the radio at all.:D

Gordon

ad: dxeng