PDA

View Full Version : looking for Motorola 3w bag phone projects

KD5ZEW
09-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Anyone know a good Ham radio use for a motorola 3w bag phone? Model sun1808af .
It's too big to be a logbook paperweight and i use the PC for that anyway (it's very windy sometimes)

N2OBS
10-01-2009, 02:12 AM
Hi,

My friend and i were talking about the possible modification of a couple of bag phones from 800 MHz. And since they are still usable because of the phone was strictly analog thought of making some modification on the circuitry tuning into the 900 MHz frequencies. Apparently we still have 33 cm available for amateur use even without repeats can possibly tweak them into the range for simplex use.

KE5OFO
10-01-2009, 04:21 PM
One thing I have done with an old Moto bag phone was to scrap the phone and use the bag and large SLA battery for my HT. The phone I had used a cable for the phone that had a cig lighter plug and cable to power/charge the battery and a cig lighter jack to plug in the phone. I just put my FT-470 in the handset side cliping the belt clip to the elastic strap used to hold the handset base and pluged in the 12v adaptor to the battery cable. I then used a right angle bnc connector to get the rubber duck out of the bag while it was closed and being carried by the sholder strap as well as using a speaker mic.

This made it very easy to tote the radio around and had plenty of talk time on the larger battery. I have used this setup for public service events and never had to worry about running out of power over a weekend. It was also worked well out on the patio and in the car with a cheep MFJ dual band mag mount either on the roof of the car or on a home made ground plane built from a 4" junction box cover with 4 19" radials, one on each corner, up about 14' in the air on a painters pole.

Unfortunatly the special clip that went on the battery had gotten broken so I just solderd it directly to the battery and it has finally died. So now I am going to get a 2.5 ah battery to replace it and redo the cabeling so that it will also have a pair of power poles to also allow it to be used in an emergency situation for powering my K2.

K0RGR
10-01-2009, 05:54 PM
You may want to try the AR902MHZ group on Yahoogroups. They often have info on modifying commercial 8-900 mHz. gear for ham use.

WA7KKP
10-01-2009, 09:05 PM
I'd keep the bag, gut the phone and just use the bag as a nice tote for some 12v gel cells, as external power for whatever else I might want to use.

There is very little useable in cellphones on the ham bands -- the circuitry is pretty much microprocessor/LSI technology that makes it almost impossible to hack over to everyday ham use.

The guts make an interesting paperweight, though . . .

Gary WA7KKP

W0IS
10-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I have one that I keep sealed up in a plastic bag in the car for use in an emergency. Even though analog systems are being shut down (in our market, there's now apparently only one system, down from the old "A" and "B" systems), the 3 watt phone does seem to get through in a lot of areas where little handsets are worthless.

The battery on mine died long ago, but it still seems to work fine plugged into the lighter socket.

AB8RU
10-02-2009, 01:48 AM
I have one that I keep sealed up in a plastic bag in the car for use in an emergency. Even though analog systems are being shut down (in our market, there's now apparently only one system, down from the old "A" and "B" systems), the 3 watt phone does seem to get through in a lot of areas where little handsets are worthless.

The battery on mine died long ago, but it still seems to work fine plugged into the lighter socket.

Kinda strange to hear that your local Analog service is still active, ours went out and I just took a bunch of old phones in a box and XYL dropped them off for the war effort let the techs fix em ! more on the way, all for the war effort.:cool:

KD7LWL
10-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Yeah, this is a surprise to me too. I tried to fire up my emergency Motorola bag phone (that was stuffed under the seat of my p/u) just last week and got NOTHING. As in "N O T H I N G". And this was out in the boonies near Ely, NV (where you'd think they'd be not up to speed at all). I'd love to be able to use that old friend.

I'm NOT throwing it away, I don't care what my wife says - ha.:D

W9GB
10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
I tried to fire up my emergency Motorola bag phone (that was stuffed under the seat of my p/u) just last week and got NOTHING. As in "N O T H I N G". And this was out in the boonies near Ely, NV
ANALOG (AMPS) Cellular/Mobile service (first generation, 1980s) was TURNED OFF in USA on February 18, 2008.

AFTER this DATE, all USA cellular carriers no longer are required to maintain their AMPS service. While some AMPS service may endure beyond that date, possibly in sparsely populated areas, for most areas AMPS services were to be turned OFF. eBay has been filled with this AMPS hardware surplus for past 2 years.

In other countries, such as Telecom New Zealand -- they turned OFF their AMPS system in April 2007 ... and now use CDMA. Much of Europe did not have AMPS, and installed GSM in 1990s.

Global cellular systems are primarily based on second generation GSM (EU) or CDMA (Qualcomm) technology --
at 3G or 4G (third or fourth generation) development levels.

w9gb

W0IS
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, I guess it's time for me to check it again. It's probably been a year or so.

Now that you mention February 18, 2008, I'm pretty sure that I checked it shortly after that date, although I'm not positive. I do remember that only one of the two carriers was there, and perhaps that one is gone now.

ad: KU4HP-1