PDA

View Full Version : What wire for straight key?

K1KIK
08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I just got my Tech license and am hooking up my new equipment. I have a Bender straight key and it does not say how to hook it up. Do I just get some small wires and hook it to the power supply? :confused:

NN4RH
08-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I just got my Tech license and am hooking up my new equipment. I have a Bender straight key and it does not say how to hook it up. Do I just get some small wires and hook it to the power supply? :confused:

No.

If it's an HF transceiver there will be a jack on it somewhere labelled "Key". It will be either a mono or stereo audio jack, either 1/8 or 1/4 inch size. Some QRP rigs might have RCA connectors. The manual should indicate what kind of jack it is and say how to hook up the radio.

You wire the straight key to a length of two-conductor cable with the appropriate audio plug on the other end and plug it into the key jack.

W9GB
08-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Tell us the radio mfg. and model you have (new equipment).

I have a Bencher? straight key and it does not say how to hook it up.
Diagram in your radio trasnceiver's owner's manual. Don't have the owner's manual for your radio -- GET ONE.

Do I just get some small wires and hook it to the power supply?
Sounds like you remember a grade school demonstation with a switch, battery and light bulb.
The CW key is a momentary switch for keying (activating) your trasnmitter. There is a specific jack on your radio for this connection -- IF the radio has a CW mode.
For example, CB AM/SSB radios have no factory provision for a CW key or activating external amplifiers via the T/R circuits -- not permitted modes.
Commercial and amateur radio VHF/UHF FM transceivers usually do not have a factory CW key jack, BUT multi-mode (SSB, FM, CW) transceivers do!

Local Radio Shack will have pre-molded mono plugs (RCA, 1/4 inch, 3.5mm) on one end and tinned leads
on other end -- for fabrication of the cable from your straight key (tinned leads attached to binding posts on key) to the radio's CW jack (e.g. RCA, 1/4 inch, 3.5mm).

w9gb

W3BNY
08-20-2009, 12:03 AM
500MCM should do the trick!

K8ERV
08-20-2009, 02:56 AM
500MCM should do the trick!

Only if it is high conductivity copper (OFHC).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WB2WIK
08-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Only if it is high conductivity copper (OFHC).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Vanna didn't like that.:p

KB2FCV
08-20-2009, 03:03 AM
I like to buy the 6 foot cables from Radio Shack. Since the key jack is in the front I hack the cable in half. I put spade lugs on one end. Since I now have two cables I use the other for another key of my choice. It makes for a nice clean installation.

K1KIK
08-20-2009, 11:51 PM
It's a Yaesu FT-950. I guess I'll buy some plugs and wire and put something together. Thanks.

WB2WIK
08-21-2009, 12:10 AM

You're going to have some serious problems if you can't read the manual for the FT-950, which shows exactly how to connect a key to it in the manual, on page 12. They even have a picture of how to wire it, and where to plug it in...

http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=292E02F4E4D00EC99887A63E7B8ECD1B&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

WB2WIK/6

W9GB
08-21-2009, 01:42 AM
It's a Yaesu FT-950.
Which leads to the next question -- have you checked the firmware version for your radio's control ??
====
PEP950
This procedure is used to update Main CPU Ver. 0111 and EDSP Ver. 11.53 the
flash programming for the FT-950 Transceivers.
*If you already have software Version 11.53 it is not necessary to update the FT-950 EDSP again.

w9gb

AD5LT
08-21-2009, 04:40 AM
You're going to have some serious problems if you can't read the manual for the FT-950, which shows exactly how to connect a key to it in the manual, on page 12. They even have a picture of how to wire it, and where to plug it in...

http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=292E02F4E4D00EC99887A63E7B8ECD1B&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

WB2WIK/6

Like Steve said you have to read the manual, pluging things in to certain area's where they don"t belong can destroy your equipment, hurt you, burn you, and maybe kill you. Realy I"am not trying to be sarcastic, just being honest.

W4HAY
08-21-2009, 02:13 PM
The 'how?' is obvious -- read the manual.

As for the 'what?', I use coiled microphone cord. It reduces desk clutter.

N8CPA
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Manual is the way to go. The reason for that is that most of today's rigs accept only a stereo plug whether you're using a straight key or a paddle. Straight keys are two terminal devices, but whether to use the tip or the ring on the plug into the rig for a straight key varies from rig to rig.

K8JD
08-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Make sure you can copy the Morse before you plug in that key to try sending!:D

ad: Waters-2