PDA

View Full Version : Gonset 2 meter Sidewinder 900A

WB6NCO
07-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Looking to see if anyone can cross reference old Gonset part numbers to presently available diodes and transistors.

I currently have the manual with schematic, but it just lists these as transistor or diode.

WB2WIK
07-22-2009, 03:48 AM
Looking to see if anyone can cross reference old Gonset part numbers to presently available diodes and transistors.

I currently have the manual with schematic, but it just lists these as transistor or diode.

::A serious challenge, since this is a mid-1960s rig that used some Germanium devices that haven't been available for 40 years.

Here in the L.A. area there are still a number of hams who worked for Gonset when it was in Burbank; however I think the Sidewinder products came out during the Aerotron acquisition, when they moved to N.C. Try the "boat anchor" archives to see if you can raise any of the old Aerotron engineers who might have more data.

Interestingly, I had a 2m Sidewinder since it was "brand new" in the mid-60s and it never, ever, ever failed. It was very robustly designed not to fail. I suspect just about every unit that experienced a failure was the result of someone removing the cover!:p

WB2WIK/6

WB6NCO
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks
73 DE WB6NCO

K0RGR
07-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I don't mean to discourage you, but my friend W6WLE, who is an electronic repair technician by trade and had his own shop, had a Sidewinder many years ago, and he couldn't get parts for it back then. And if Dan couldn't find the parts back in the 70's and 80's, it would tend to suggest that they didn't exist. I vaguely remember him trying lots of different things as substitutes.

I don't remember what happened to his Sidewinder. I think it was ill when he acquired it, but it did work. This was one of those radios that those of us with Heathkits really lusted after. He used it for a long time in spite of it's illnesses.

K9STH
07-22-2009, 07:41 PM
The 2-meter Gonset GSB 900A came out in 1963 and, for its day, was a fairly good SSB unit. In 1965 Gonset came out with the GSB 910A which was the 6-meter equivalent of the 900A. Both of these units ran 20 watts INPUT.

The AC power supply for the 900A was the 901A and the 12 volt mobile supply was the 902A. For the 910A the AC power supply was the 911A and the 12 volt mobile supply was the 912A. The main difference in the power supplies for the 900A and the 910A was that those for the 900A were "plugged into" the back of the transceiver and were held in place with locking "clips". Those for the 910A were in a separate package that was designed to sit beside the transceiver.

In 1967 Gonset came out with "improved" versions. The GSB-2 (900C) was rated at 50 watts input and the GSB-6 (910B) was still rated at 20 watts input.

Glen, K9STH

ad: udcsys-1