PDA

View Full Version : TM-D710 and MCP-2A problems

K6DBG
07-20-2009, 03:50 AM
I've just bought and installed a TM-D710. I'm trying to program it with Kenwood's MCP-2A software and having no luck at all.

First, it can't seem to figure out which COM ports are available -it tries to use COM3, graying out COM2, which is the only port that exists. I used regedit to fix that problem, and I can see it trying to spit data out the port.

Next, it can't seem to handshake with the receiver. I have the TNC "closed", and the speed is set correctly.

I'm able to use hyperterminal and secureCRT to talk to the internal TNC, so I'm confident that the cable is correct.

Help?

W9GB
07-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I've just bought and installed a TM-D710. I'm trying to program it with Kenwood's MCP-2A software and having no luck at all.

First, it can't seem to figure out which COM ports are available -it tries to use COM3, graying out COM2, which is the only port that exists. I used regedit to fix that problem, and I can see it trying to spit data out the port.

Next, it can't seem to handshake with the receiver. I have the TNC "closed", and the speed is set correctly.

I'm able to use hyperterminal and secureCRT to talk to the internal TNC, so I'm confident that the cable is correct.

Help?
WHAT are you trying to DO?

1. GET out your manual packaged with your new Kenwood TM-D710
2. The Kenwood TM-D710 has a TNC inside the LCD front panel/display.
3. The MCP-2A software is used to program memory channels and set SOME parameters.
4. KNOW your computer, and mark or seperately determine your COM (serial ports).
5. What are you using for the serial DB-9 to 8-pin mini-DIN cable used for programming?
6. For Prorgamming the cable must be connected to the RADIO, not the front display.

You must FIRST READ from the TM-D710 before ANY WRITING any program file to the radio!

w9gb

W9GB
07-20-2009, 02:11 PM
> Is there some magic setup that the DM-710 needs before this works?
Is the protocol written down somewhere? All I can get it to do is print a single ? every time I hit <CR>.
Most frustrating, this.

Chris -

I see you have already asked this same line of questions on the TM-D710 Yahoo Group .... and you indicated that you are using a USB to RS-232 converter. I have found MANY of these "off the shelf" devices to be problematic. Make sure this works well with other serial devices -- OR get a computer with an RS-232 serial port to do inital programming and testing.

I use the Parallax USB/Serial solution at $14.99 or $19.99 w/cable.

w9gb

KC6UQG
07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I had trouble using the mcp software with my new V71A. I tried a high zoot Belkin usb to serial adapter and got nowhere with it. I was able to use the Belkin adapter with my Garmin serial cable so I assumed it would work with the Kenwood...WRONG.

I went to Willy's Electronics in San Diego and picked up the cheapest usb to serial adapter cable I could find. Works flawlessly with both my HP netbook and compaq laptop. The system manager shows Prolific usb to serial adapter in the description.

I was surprised the absolutely cheapest solution was the one that worked. Willys let me try the adapter before I put down the modest price which was really helpful.

You will love the convenience of the software when you finally get it installed. I've changed the programming in my radio several times in the few weeks I've had it installed. It's so easy to make this new stuff work well.

Chris Boyer
kc6uqg

K6DBG
07-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks, all. It took me three trips to Fry's, but I have it working. The reason I was wondering if the radio was busted is that the converter I have (from pfranc.com) has worked flawlessly with every other device I've tried in the past 3-4 years.

It has the Philips chipset - and, apparently, that's not the right answer for this particular piece of software (even though it will talk to the radio's TNC just fine via Hyperterminal).

The adapter that works is a cheap off-brand unit that uses the Prolific chipset. IOgear's adapter is a little more expensive but also uses that chipset (according to the net).

I'm still a bit baffled at the prospect of someone writing software that must count on the timing of characters or character echo over an RS-232 connection, but that's a different issue completely...

chris

ad: radiowavz