PDA

View Full Version : Motorola P1225; programming adapter/cable and software

N2NJO
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I have a couple of Moto's P1225 hand held radios and need the adapter/cable assembly and software to do the programming.

Questions;
1. What is the latest version of the software? This is the description of what I already have now. It seems a littled dated (references to Windows 3.1 & '95) even though these are older radios;
MOTOROLA Radius 1225 Series Radio Service Software
Version 3.1 Release Build 2
Copyright (c) Motorola, 1996-1999
------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION:
This software is Version 3.0 of the 1225 Series RSS. It supports
the R1225 Repeater, and the M1225 and P1225 radios.
This release includes several improvements and fixes relative to the
original 1225 Series RSS.
2. Is the correct adapter assembly?;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350145309018
3. If that is the correct assembly, how/where is the radio powered? Is another cable/adapter needed?

I have been to batlabs, but I would perfer to just buy the needed cables etc.

K0CMH
06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
You will probably not be able to obtain the cable and software.

Reason:

Motorola guards that material with extreme care. Only vendors and service companies can use the cables and software. They must sign very strict contracts with Motorola, assuring that they will not let that equipment out of their control. Why? Two reasons.

1. Those radios are designed and sold into the business and public service segments. The FCC recognizes that the license holders and users know nothing about radio. The FCC requires these radios to be difficult for the users to modify. These frequencies are very crowded. This prevents the users from changing the frequencies, which would interfer with other users. It also prevents users from changing other parameters that may cause to much power, splattering, etc. Therefore, Motorola agreed to this very tight control to keep order in the business and public service bands.

2. Only those persons under contract can service the radios, and thus have basically a franchise through Motorola. They charge for their services, and make money servicing the radios (in this case, adjusting frequencies and output).

Your best bet is to check on the local commercial radio communications companies in your area and find one that has the cables and software. You may get it done at a discount, or maybe free, when they find out you are a Ham.

Good luck.

N2NJO
06-23-2009, 01:43 PM
1. That programming adpater I have found in numerous places.
2. What makes them different than any other radio manufacture including the 'big three' (Y, K & I) that sell business radios?

As far as Moto, all they seem to be interested in is proprietary connectors forceing one to buy theirs. Also, they force you to go through a dealer, not Motorola directly. I would never deal with that business model. I got the radios for a song and dance which is the only reason I have them in the first place.

W1IM
07-14-2009, 10:55 PM
That cable should work fine for you. I have a very similar cable from ebay that I use.

I also use the 1225 RSS v3.1. The software will load and appear to work ok on a Windows XP machine, but it won't read/write to the radio. You need to run the program on an older computer and operating system that runs real dos. I use a Pentium III running Windows 95. It works just fine.

Good luck.

KB3LIX
07-15-2009, 03:54 AM
1. That programming adpater I have found in numerous places.
2. What makes them different than any other radio manufacture including the 'big three' (Y, K & I) that sell business radios?

As far as Moto, all they seem to be interested in is proprietary connectors forceing one to buy theirs. Also, they force you to go through a dealer, not Motorola directly. I would never deal with that business model. I got the radios for a song and dance which is the only reason I have them in the first place.

They ARE MOTOROLA...

They do business that way...BECAUSE THEY CAN !!!

Live with it !

N2NJO
07-15-2009, 03:44 PM
They ARE MOTOROLA.So? DILLIGAF?
They do business that way...BECAUSE THEY CAN !!So did everyone that was in the WH the past 28 years and look where we are.
Live with it !Not without a fight.

W1IM; thanks for the reassurance.

KB3LIX
07-15-2009, 04:43 PM
So? DILLIGAF?So did everyone that was in the WH the past 28 years and look where we are.Not without a fight.

W1IM; thanks for the reassurance.

HaHaHaHaHa !!!

Lotsa Luck !!!

You will learn grasshopper...you will learn !

K9STH
07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Motorola defends their software and their trademarks VERY actively. That is why you don't see an commercial advertisements with "HT", "Handy Talkie", "Handi Talkie", "PL", "Private Line", and so forth in them. Back when the Japanese first started selling amateur radio portable equipment in the United States their advertisements had terms like "Handy Talkie" in them. Just as soon as the advertisements appeared in print the magazines and importers got "nastygrams" from the Motorola legal department and the advertisements were immediately changed.

Motorola also tracks things like sales of their software on eBay. If one happens to purchase the software then they immediately get a "nastygram" telling them to either pay a license fee or else send the software back to Motorola.

For decades Motorola has had a pretty strict attitude towards their products, trademarks, etc. It has cost them in terms of sales but they don't seem to mind. Also, Motorola had an attitude of being able to use patents owned by others without paying a licensing fee or purchasing the patent. The vibrating pager was a good example. Motorola basically stole the process and refused to pay the inventor. Well, they got hit with millions in that they had to pay the inventor as well as having to pay a fee for each pager manufactured with the vibrating feature.

My experience with Motorola is from the "inside". My junior year in college I worked for the Motorola Service Station in Atlanta, Georgia; my senior year I established and managed the first Motorola owned portable and pager repair facility away from the Schamburg, Illinois, plant; and finally I owned the Motorola reconditioned equipment facility for the south-central United States for almost 10 years. As such, I got a good look at the policies of Motorola.

Glen, K9STH

K6ABZ
07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
It's very likely that you DO have the latest version of the software... There's no "universal" programming app, as far as I know, and the app was probably written when the radio was being designed... once a functional app was delivered, the software guys moved on to the next project.

Either way, the only way to (legally) obtain new software is direct from Moto... at a cost of several hundred dollars.

K0CMH
07-15-2009, 09:22 PM
May persons have supposedly purchased "motorola cables", only to find that they are after market items and they don't work.

Good luck. I tried.

KB3LIX
07-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Sounds like you wasted a song and a dance.

K0RGR
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
If you can't make it work, you might run it by your local Motorola repair shop. I can't speak to the different models, but our local shop charges $50 to reprogram a radio. Just be certain you have the frequency info correct, including the repeat offsets. It's $50 a pop - even to correct a mistake. Your mileage may vary very much.

K8JD
07-16-2009, 01:14 AM
I have a couple of Moto's P1225 hand held radios and need the adapter/cable assembly and software to do the programming.

Questions;
1. What is the latest version of the software? This is the description of what I already have now. It seems a littled dated (references to Windows 3.1 & '95) even though these are older radios;
2. Is the correct adapter assembly?;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350145309018
3. If that is the correct assembly, how/where is the radio powered? Is another cable/adapter needed?

I have been to batlabs, but I would perfer to just buy the needed cables etc.

Thjis item seems to be a homebrew, garage shop built universal adaptor. the one I use looks kind of lika single unit charger where the P1250 radio with a battery attached sits in the pocket and the cable from the pocket goes to a RIB (radio interface box) that contains level shifting circuitry. that is connected to the com port on a PC. I can getr the model number tomorrow if you are interested.
My shop charges 35 bucks to program.

ad: dxeng