PDA

View Full Version : VX-6R upgraded antenna

KB1JVI
06-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Greetings! As you can tell from the title, I have a VX-6R, and I am looking for an upgrade to the antenna. I would like to have all the same functions, just a higher gain on it.

Are there any recommendations?

Thanks!

KA4DPO
06-18-2009, 11:40 PM
I think Diamond makes a half wave colinear duck that provides some gain on two meters and 70cm. Don't remember how much it costs but I have one and it works pretty well for a handheld antenna.

N9JTW
06-19-2009, 02:16 AM
whatever antenna you get, you should also look into making a homemade counterpoise (also called tiger tail or rat tail). its quite easy and very cheap. search for it here or on google. It basically turns your 1/4 wave duck into a half-wave vertical dipole. I did that for my FT-60R and from the reports I'm getting it makes quite a difference. As far as antennas go, I purchased a Diamond SRH77CA. Its a very nice antenna. Its quite long (about 16") and can make the radio a bit top-heavy if you aren't careful though. But it isn't nearly as "floppy" as the Comet SMA-24. I purchased mine from R&L.

KB1JVI
06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Will I still be able to receive my shortwave stations? I know it's just a feature on the 6R, but I like it.

WT9S
06-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I have the Diamond tri-band antenna for my VX-6R. It works well on the ham bands but BC & SW receive doesn't work too well at all.

K8JD
06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
if you want gain on 2M that antenna would be at least three ft tall, kind of offsets the idea of a handheld but you don't have much signal coming out of a handy anyway.
If you want to recieve SW and AM BC bands well, you need at least a 20 ft wire hanging out of your antenna connector to do much good.

ad: giga-rw