PDA

View Full Version : YL stations in contests - advantage or disadvantage?

N2RJ
04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
This is just an observation, not a rant. Just an observation.

Personally I don't care what anyone's gender is. In fact I would like us to have more YLs in the hobby as I believe we are seriously lacking in that regard. Every YL station I work is treated with respect just like any other station.

I was listening to the FLQP today and working a few stations. There were quite a few YLs operating and it seems to me as though a YL station in a contest can have an advantage and a disadvantage.

The advantage is that a lot of people somehow want to work YL stations. Don't ask me why. :) Advantage - rate goes up because more stations want to work the YL station.

The disadvantage is that some OM stations want to chat it up and not respect the fact that this is a contest/QSO party and not a ragchew. Disadvantage - rate suffers because OM stations often want to carry on a conversation.

Thoughts?

W4SUL
04-25-2009, 06:59 PM
All I an say is, when my YL gets on HF she always gets a pile up! She spends most of her time on 2 meters, and is always a popular net control op. Her nets draw new call signs every time... I'm in trouble if I work a rare one and don't call her out to the shack. She breaks pile ups every time. I've never heard her have to call a DX station more than once to snag them. There's just something about her smooth, (she's a former broadcaster) female voice...

Sparrow

KB8NHL
04-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Hmm. I only operate CW and don't think I've ever seena YL on...not that I'd know it if I did.

It would be great if we could have all YL's issued calls with a suffix of YL (and none else gets a YL). That way I know if I should comb my hair and brush my teeth before I answer a CQ.

KB3LIX
04-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Of course it is an advantage.

Every PERV anywhere on the band is drawn to the YL
like flies to excrement.
Too bad there are SOOOO many perv's out there.

Most of the time, when I hear a YL working a contest, I skip right
over her because I know the pile-up will be huge and will
become a Testosterone-Fest. I would rather keep my rate going than
get bogged down with one station, especially if they are in a county
that I already have.

It just isn't worth the effort.

I sometimes note the freq that she is on and will come back from time to time
just to see if the "flies" have diminished. If/when it has died down, then I will try for the Q.

Too bad YL's have to endure what I consider to be PIG behavior.
They certainly do NOT deserve the PIGS.

KB2SFH
04-25-2009, 08:59 PM
You won't find me out there in a contest. Heck the lot of you that condescend to me here would be lucky if I gave you the time of day on the air but don't hold your breath.

WB2WIK
04-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I'd put a YL operator in place at my contest station only if she is a very hot -- operator!

Most are not.

One problem I have with YL operators is something they can't do anything about: The higher pitched voices lack punch, since most vocal energy is at the low end of the audio spectrum. I usually operate contests with a fairly narrow filter set, maybe 1.8 kHz or so, and the YL voices don't get through as well for me. Some of that may be rig adjustments -- or lack of them -- on the part of whoever set up the station. Some may even be microphone deficiencies. I don't know. But in most cases, the YLs do not punch through as well as the OMs.

There are a lot of YL operators in China. In fact, it seems that probably half of my Chinese contacts are YL hams. The "sing song" nature of that language, especially when a YL is at the mike, can make it difficult to understand them -- although other Chinese people probably understand them fine.

WB2WIK/6

K4AX
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
While your filter is narrow, you may want to shift up a bit on the passband, that may help when running a 1.8khz filter and listening to a YL.

Anyway, I have noticed many times that a YL's voice will just cut through when a OM's will not. The other day listening on 40m late night, I heard a OM/YL on the same station, every time the YL got on, she was easily a S unit higher from the same rig.

I noticed at field day last year when I had a YL operating my FT 857D that her voice was pulling more amps from my power supply, almost twice as many as when I use it. Normally at most I see a bit above ten amps, she was getting 15-20 at times, and averaged 10 amps most of the time. It was a eye opener for me.

KB3LIX
04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
The only time it would be a hindrance, is IF she is NOT adept at
swatting or "shooing" FLIES !

K8MHZ
04-25-2009, 11:47 PM
The only time it would be a hindrance, is IF she is NOT adept at
swatting or "shooing" FLIES !

You guys got 'em too?

K3WRV
04-25-2009, 11:57 PM
A long time ago, I heard a station calling CQ during a contest. I called back, and after a short chat, he asked if I could give his YF a QSO - on came the most beautiful female voice I've ever hears - slight french accent, and she was a good S unit higher than her OM, so SHE has a valid point! I think men are programed to listen to women's voices, and I know many contesters who have their wives record "CQ Contest" on the voice keyers. I think it's a big advantage.

Then there was Ed, W5UFR (SK) who had his grand daughter announce his presence on SSTV.. We all knew Ed, but when his grand daughter said he was fixin to send a picture, we all stood by. Her little 10 year old voice got thru better than Ed's pictures!

KD5RFT
04-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I recall one example that was not an advantage... and this is no way a generalization of YL stations, just an extreme unfortunate example of a bad and/or inexperienced (but not putting forth the effort to listen and learn) operator...

I heard one YL op during SSB SS who was completely disorganized and became argumentative during QSOs. For example, a station would ask for a repeat of section or another piece of information and she would exclaim "You people need to listen the first time, I shouldn't have to repeat! etc etc..." It was awful. I refused to work her. I can't imagine why any stations would wait in the pileup for her unless they really needed that section.

Nick KD5RFT
RF Turkey

N2RJ
04-26-2009, 12:52 AM
One problem I have with YL operators is something they can't do anything about: The higher pitched voices lack punch, since most vocal energy is at the low end of the audio spectrum. I usually operate contests with a fairly narrow filter set, maybe 1.8 kHz or so, and the YL voices don't get through as well for me. Some of that may be rig adjustments -- or lack of them -- on the part of whoever set up the station. Some may even be microphone deficiencies. I don't know. But in most cases, the YLs do not punch through as well as the OMs.

Quite true.

That is why when my XYL takes the mic I up the processor and mic gain just a tad. It would be too high for me but perfect for her.

N2RJ
04-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Of course it is an advantage.

Every PERV anywhere on the band is drawn to the YL
like flies to excrement.
Too bad there are SOOOO many perv's out there.

Most of the time, when I hear a YL working a contest, I skip right
over her because I know the pile-up will be huge and will
become a Testosterone-Fest. I would rather keep my rate going than
get bogged down with one station, especially if they are in a county
that I already have.

It just isn't worth the effort.

I sometimes note the freq that she is on and will come back from time to time
just to see if the "flies" have diminished. If/when it has died down, then I will try for the Q.

Too bad YL's have to endure what I consider to be PIG behavior.
They certainly do NOT deserve the PIGS.

Well Bill, that is only one end of the spectrum.

The other end is that it would be counterproductive because some people want to chat with the YL instead of just giving the contest exchange and moving on.

You know I have no problems with YL pileups, that's because of my large...err... antenna... :D

However, I have noted that there are some excellent YL CW ops. TX5C had horrible phone ops but the CW ops were superb. One of them at least was a YL.

KC7YPJ
04-26-2009, 03:37 AM
I will concur 100% that it is a mixxed blessing, if you can catch em first before the pileup.

I avoid contests like the plague so it's not usually an issue, but I do like to scan
around the bands on the weekends for interesting event stations
(no jo bobs birthday doesn't count, like radio museum activated, old warships etc)
The one that is always fun is working w9ims on a race weekend, the last few years
they have had a slew of yl's operating, some new and young, some older, and
the new ones usually get the hang of it very quickly, top notch station,
top notch pileups, and occasionally a topnotch qso if the band is dead or
nobody has figured out where there at yet.

Never had a problem hearing the yl's at the indy station.

WA9SVD
04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Well Bill, that is only one end of the spectrum.

The other end is that it would be counterproductive because some people want to chat with the YL instead of just giving the contest exchange and moving on.

You know I have no problems with YL pileups, that's because of my large...err... antenna... :D

However, I have noted that there are some excellent YL CW ops. TX5C had horrible phone ops but the CW ops were superb. One of them at least was a YL.

Then again, it tales TWO to have a conversation or chat. If the YL is actually interested in contesting, and wants to keep the count up, she can always just say 73 and recognize the next call she's heard...

WA6MHZ
04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I am one of the PERVs who is drawn to YLs on the radio. I don't say anything, just listen and IMAGINE how cute she is. Of course, she probably is far from cute, but I can still DREAM! There are a few cute YLs in our Radio club, but they are still Jailbait. Time will fix that. The rest of the YLs are XYLs who hava license only so they can talk to their Hubbies. That's the story with KB6RCT. She USED to talk to me on the radio, but that stopped when she got a cellphone. She hasn't been on the radio since.

WB2WIK
04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
I am one of the PERVs who is drawn to YLs on the radio. I don't say anything, just listen and IMAGINE how cute she is. .

::That's funny. I actually dated a couple of YL hams back when I was in college. I remember one, Inez, WB2URD (not her call now, if she even has one -- haven't kept up) who was an electrical engineering student at New Jersey Institute of Technology. Bright young lady, and also very cute! (And very petite, I think she was maybe 5 feet tall in high heels, and 100 lbs soaking wet.) On our first date, she brought me back to her parents' house to show me her rig (no kidding), which was old boat anchor stuff: I think a Hallicrafters Super Skyrider with a Viking I transmitter. I didn't ask at the time how she managed to carry any of that stuff in, since it was heavier than she was, but if I met her again today, I'd ask that.:p

WB2WIK/6

K7JBQ
04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Steve,

Odds are the guy she dated before you hauled that stuff in. Which explains why she was available. The other guy was on IR with a bad back.

Bill (who more than once hauled a Viking II out to Field Day)

KB3LIX
04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Several YL's were working the Florida QSO Party over the last two days.
ALL of them did a bang up job from what I heard.
I didn't hear anyone trying to be an idiot with them and
it seemed like they were all experienced at "swatting" the flies.
Decent QSO Party, lots of activity.

WB2WIK
04-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Steve,

Odds are the guy she dated before you hauled that stuff in. Which explains why she was available. The other guy was on IR with a bad back.

Bill (who more than once hauled a Viking II out to Field Day)

::You're probably right. In the sixties, I carried my entire station to FD many times, and that included many very heavy items like DX-100, NC-300, Valiant II, SX-101A, etc. My ham shack was in my parents' basement, and it was 9 steps up and down from the main floor. I can't even tell you how many times I carried 100 lb+ gear up and down those steps. I think the winner was the Johnson Thunderbolt, which I probably carried up and down at least 20 times for contesting and stuff.:p

KA8NCR
04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
::That's funny. I actually dated a couple of YL hams back when I was in college. I remember one, Inez, WB2URD (not her call now, if she even has one -- haven't kept up) who was an electrical engineering student at New Jersey Institute of Technology. Bright young lady, and also very cute! (And very petite, I think she was maybe 5 feet tall in high heels, and 100 lbs soaking wet.) On our first date, she brought me back to her parents' house to show me her rig (no kidding), which was old boat anchor stuff: I think a Hallicrafters Super Skyrider with a Viking I transmitter. I didn't ask at the time how she managed to carry any of that stuff in, since it was heavier than she was, but if I met her again today, I'd ask that.:p

WB2WIK/6

*swoon* Hallicrafters. Oh, and petite.

KY5U
04-27-2009, 12:24 AM
Was on an engineering survey for the 2-way company I worked for scouting a place to put a paging transmitter at a hospital. The hospital administrator had a secretary who was very very pretty but I was all business although I was not married. Finally on one visit he was gone and his secretary told me he would not be back for 2 hours, then closed his office door and told me I could not get out until I paid attention to her.

My wife always gets embarassed when I tell that story. She says it was the only way to get my attention.

KA8NCR
04-27-2009, 12:33 AM
My wife always gets embarassed when I tell that story. She says it was the only way to get my attention.

A girl has to do what a girl has to do.

WB2WIK
04-27-2009, 01:01 AM
NCR, I love your Cleavon Little avatar.

He died way too young (and very locally to me, I might add -- we were neighbors a few blocks apart) and was a great and very funny person. I'm not sure how old he was when he passed on about 15 years ago, but he still looked young, I'd guess in his fifties.

Cool guy.

WB2WIK/6

KA8NCR
04-27-2009, 01:13 AM
NCR, I love your Cleavon Little avatar.

Thanks. He did die way too young.

W4HAY
04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
To me, most female voices cut through the QRM and QRN better than male voices. The lower spectrum of the male voice wastes too much power on frequencies that don't contribute to intelligibility.

The YL's real advantage occurs on 75 Meters late on Field Day Saturday nights. It can get wild and wooly -- and hilarious!

ad: WarrenG-1