PDA

View Full Version : External VFO

KC9OVT
04-04-2009, 08:14 PM
How do you feel about the necessity of an external VFO?

KA5ROW
04-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Not needed. Of course the old Kenwood TS-830's and TS-530's looked good with all the extra accessories. All modern radios have all the extras built in one box.

WA6MHZ
04-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Since Most DXpeditions work split frquency, a 2nd VFO is probably almost as important as the transmitter itself. If you are just a ragchewer, it's not a problem, but for the DXer, it is an absolute neccessity. Fortunately, almost all modern rigs come with dual vfos.

KA4DPO
04-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I have the external VFO's for my TS-520S and my Drake B line. If you want to work split with the 520 it's a must, with the Drakes you really don't need it since they are seperates.

AG3Y
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM
My 25 + year old radio has built in split VFO operation. Nothin' new ! Do I ever use it? NO !

Of course, I HATE contests !

But that's JMHO 73, Jim

W5HTW
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Don't need one. But my FT897D has it bulit in, though I never use it.

When we non-contesters really needed the separate VFO was back in the days of crystal control. That separate receiver was an absolute necessity.

K3WRV
04-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Naw Ed- We don't need external VFOs. 3 XTALS per band is enough for anybody. But adding an external VFO to my DX-20 was sure nice - mean't I wan no longer a novice.

Oh Wait, Ed. I think he's talking to the noobies.

KB9BVN
04-05-2009, 01:10 AM
My K2 already has it built in...I use it quite frequently.

KI4WCA
04-05-2009, 01:22 AM
The basic Icom 718 I use has dual VFO's built in.The ducie island dxpedition was the first time I used or needed that facility.I have used it quite a few times since.If you have an older rig like a TR7, they are extremely desirable.
I am pleased and amused at how capable my little 718 is, it has pretty much everything I need in one tiny package.
External VFO units are from another age.

KB3LAZ
04-05-2009, 03:14 AM
I dont need one.

W8ZNX
04-05-2009, 09:06 AM
it all depends on where and what
you want to do

rag chew fone / cw do not need
and may never use

dx work cw nice to have
but most of the time can work around
not having one

dx work fone
must have

N8YX
04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Depends upon the "type" of external VFO being utilized. For example, Drake's 7-line PTO setup exhibits a small bit of drift...not objectionable for CW/SSB/AM use, but digital modes require a bit more stability. Drake made two types of external VFOs for its solid-state rigs: The RV7, which was essentially a repackaged PTO oscillator and tuning mechanism...and the RV75, which was a synthesizer-based arrangement. The latter offers excellent stability.

I bought outboard VFOs for every one of my rigs which don't come equipped with dual, internal VFOs. Sometimes, they're a bit more stable than the units located inside the rigs themselves and this is mainly a function of component heating. The outboard units tend to run cooler.

KI4WCA
04-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Depends upon the "type" of external VFO being utilized. For example, Drake's 7-line PTO setup exhibits a small bit of drift...not objectionable for CW/SSB/AM use, but digital modes require a bit more stability. Drake made two types of external VFOs for its solid-state rigs: The RV7, which was essentially a repackaged PTO oscillator and tuning mechanism...and the RV75, which was a synthesizer-based arrangement. The latter offers excellent stability.

I bought outboard VFOs for every one of my rigs which don't come equipped with dual, internal VFOs. Sometimes, they're a bit more stable than the units located inside the rigs themselves and this is mainly a function of component heating. The outboard units tend to run cooler.

I was thinking of you and the RV75 when I made my post.I hear the RV75 is pretty rare, and very desirable.

K4KYV
04-06-2009, 03:36 AM
I use the same outboard VFO to run all my transmitters. Only one of the transmitters is set up for crystal control capability, and none have their own built-in VFO.

The VFO I use is a highly modified master oscillator module taken from a military surplus T-368 transmitter. I purchased it at a hamfest for $15, performed the modifications, and I have been using it for many years. It replaced my old Heathkit VF-1.

AB9LZ
04-06-2009, 01:41 PM
I run hybrid rigs (TS-830 / 520) in an unheated space, the out board VFO is mandatory to minimize temperature induced drift from the transmitter finals.

73 m/4

AC0H
04-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I have the outboard VFO for my TS-520 and used it all the time chasing DX. If you want to work split with that kind of rig you need an outboard VFO.

With my K2/100 two button presses and I'm working split.

ad: AC6LA-1