PDA

View Full Version : plane travel with radio in carry on.

KD0HAR
03-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi I am a new Ham, I travel by plane occasionally, and I generally do not check luggage. I would like to bring my radio along so I can use it in the other places (all usually in the US). I know I can't use it on the plane unless I get the pilot permission ect....
My question is will I have any issues getting through security with it? And if yes how can I minimize the hassle?

NN4RH
03-24-2009, 07:43 AM
My question is will I have any issues getting through security with it?

I never have had any problems.

For whatever it's worth, this question gets asked frequently, although because the forum search functions are rather primative it's hard to find the older threads. As far as I know, nobody has ever reported any problems taking an HT or small rig through airport security.

Just bring your license with you and be prepared to turn the radio on and demonstrate that it's a radio, if the TSA guards should ask. I've never had one even ask about it, though. I take my HT out of the baggage and put it in a basket with my cell phone or laptop but there's been times when I've forgotten to do that and there were no questions raised. They tend to be much more interested in my cpap machine.

AB9LZ
03-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I fly every week, never had a problem with the ht. My Peter Jones Iambic did get called out by some hick at the TSA, he thought that someone could use it to beat the pilot senseless...

73 m/4

KB3RBC
03-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I've travelled several times with my FT-857D in my carry-on and have never been hasseled by TSA about it.

KB3RBC

KB2FCV
03-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I've traveled a few times with a VX-170 both domestically and internationally.. never had a problem. An HT these days is a similar size to a cell phone or camera.. so it looks like any other non-alarming electronic device passing through. Just be prepared to power it on in case you do get questioned.

W5RKL
03-24-2009, 03:41 PM
"Hi I am a new Ham, I travel by plane occasionally, and I generally do not check luggage. I would like to bring my radio along so I can use it in the other places (all usually in the US). I know I can't use it on the plane unless I get the pilot permission ect.... My question is will I have any issues getting through security with it? And if yes how can I minimize the hassle?"

This is a question you should be asking the airlines and airport security, not a ham forum! Whether others have not had problems before doesn't matter! It's what the airline's policy and airport security is that matters.

Mike
W5RKL

N8CPA
03-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I just travelled a month ago with my TH-F6 in my carry on, no problems. Just don't transmit in flight.

KC8VWM
03-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I have seen this question posted many times in the past.

I'm wondering what makes a ham radio particularly unusual, suspicious or somehow "raises TSA eyebrows" any differently than the many other 1000's of various and somewhat equally unusual consumer electronic gadget devices that are currently available on the market today?

73 de Charles - KC8VWM

AB9LZ
03-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm wondering what makes a ham radio particularly unusual, suspicious or somehow "raises TSA eyebrows" any differently than the many other 1000's of various and somewhat equally unusual consumer electronic gadget devices that are currently available on the market today?

Well, a homebrew 30m qrp rig in a handmade aluminum case will do it, oh, and obviously a Peter Jones Iambic, those things are deadly you know.

73 m/4

KC9NCF
03-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm having trouble making the connection between your travel and your HT. Travel has nothing to do with your HT. I have taken mine through ORD many times and never been stopped.

You should have no trouble. On the other hand, inquiring minds want to know why in the world you would want to take your HT anywhere besides your own house? Don't ya think it's a bit abnormal to take your "Ham radio to go"?

WA9SVD
03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
There should be no problem getting through security, and you CAN take it in carry-on luggage. You just can't use it (receive OR transmit) once aboard the plane; don't even try. THAT could cause problems.

KC8VWM
03-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Well, a homebrew 30m qrp rig in a handmade aluminum case will do it, oh, and obviously a Peter Jones Iambic, those things are deadly you know.

73 m/4

Probable TSA security guy thoughts:

o0o00 Yup, - look at that thing... must be suspicious. Looks like it has some red and black wires attached to it. (don't cut the red wire..no wait.. don't cut the black wire!.. kinda thing..) "What's that sir? You say it's hand made aluminum construction?"

Gee, it doesn't have any consumer brand label or "Made in China" markings on it either. Looks like some sort of unusual non consumer contraption or strange device. It's not the kind you go out and purchase at Best Buy that's for sure. The joystick on this thing doesn't look at all like the one attached to my Sega game at home. This joystick is much different - it's all brass or metal construction or something. Very wierd...This gameboy or whatever it is doesn't even have a screen on it...and who would make a homemade video game?... is this guy kidding me?

Yup..., I guess we better talk to this guy... :)

KD0HAR
03-28-2009, 03:41 AM
I went to the TSA site and didn't find much so I sent an email. Their reply is below. Ultimately it comes down to the screener you get at the airport. If you get someone who has some reason to want to be a pain they can deny you the right to take your radio with no real reson at all. From the responses berfore I don't think this would happen but it is a possibility.

The Transportation Security Administration's current security screening procedures require all carry-on luggage and accessible property be screened before passengers take them onboard an aircraft. Regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers (TSO's) have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft if the item poses a security threat.
Therefore, TSA security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items into the sterile area of the airport.

ad: KU4HP-1