PDA

View Full Version : 10 meter radios

KF7AHS
03-10-2009, 08:11 AM
I just finished reading about techs being able to use some of 10 meters for ssb. You can get 10 meter only radios for fairly cheap but these radios, sometimes called export radios i guess legal to use for ham?

RUSS
03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I just finished reading about techs being able to use some of 10 meters for ssb. You can get 10 meter only radios for fairly cheap but these radios, sometimes called export radios i guess legal to use for ham?

Legal for ham,illegal for 11 meter "CB" the way i understand it anyway

KC2UGV
03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, many of them are illegal to sell/purchase in the US. The FCC carries a list of them, with the justification (rightly so) that they are disguised CB radios.

I don't have the URL for the list handy though. You can try google to find it. It lists make and model.

K0RGR
03-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I think most of these export radios fall in that category, and they aren't much of a bargain, either, for what you get.

Instead of a single band rig, consider an all-bander like the FT-857. It will give you all the popular ham bands, both for Techs and everybody else.

If you don't want a mobile-style rig, look for an IC-746.

Right now, 10 is pretty much dead. We're at the bottom of the sunspot cycle. If we were closer to the top, 10 would be open every day from about late September to May for worldwide DX, and it would be easy to work with minimal gear like one of these 'export' radios, or one of the fully legal variety like the older Radio Shack HTX-100 and it's kind. Now, 10 opens up pretty much every day for Eskip in the summer time, but it is 'sporadic' - not really predictable. Eskip can happen any time but peaks in summer and again briefly in mid-winter.

An all-band, all-mode rig will give you 10 meters when it's open, 6 meters, and 2 meters SSB as well. Some of them have UHF as well. But you can also use your Tech HF privileges on 80, 40 and 15 meters if you can find a way to do CW. Computers do a fair job of copying code these days.

Another option might be the FT-817. This is a 5 watt portable rig that also covers all bands and modes up through UHF. 5 watts can be frustrating on HF, but when 10 is open, it's plenty to make DX contacts. There are also aftermarket amplifiers you can add to bring the power level up to the 40 watt level and beyond. ON 2 meters and UHF, the 817 makes a great substitute for an HT. The larger body on the 817 allows it to perform better than a typical HT, too. It also works well as a mobile rig with or without an outboard amplifier.

W2IBC
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM
check out hamfests/ebay ect.

buy a HF rig, not only do you get 10 meter ssb but you also get CW (code) privileges from 3.525 to 3.600 MHz on 80 meters, from 7.025 to 7.125 MHz on 40 meters and 21.025 to 21.200 MHz on 15 meters. limited to 200watts PEP

K0CMH
03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Like posted before, 10 meters has very few periods when the "band is open", i.e., long range communications. There are intermittant, short periods when 10 meters dose the long range thing, but not on a regular basis. Most of the time, these days, it is like 2 meters without repeaters.

If you really want a less expensive, 10 meter radio, look for one of the used Radio Shack 10 meter radios. They are lower power (I forget but something like 20 watts) but are a true "Ham" radio. I consider them a decent radio for the price (when they are in decent shape and good working order).

When 10 meters does "open up", 10 or 20 watts will do the trick. It is a very interesting band regarding propagation.

Good luck with your Ham endevors.

K4UUG
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM

You can get a nice 10 & 12 Meter all mode radio for the price of a 2 meter rig,a guy here uses one on 10 meters and has had good results with it .It can do the 10 meter fm repeaters also.:)

http://www.cbradiosplus.com/shop/pc/viewprd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=439

K8YZK
03-19-2009, 01:33 AM
You can get a nice 10 & 12 Meter all mode radio for the price of a 2 meter rig,a guy here uses one on 10 meters and has had good results with it .It can do the 10 meter fm repeaters also.:)

Remember though Tech's can't not use 10 Meter FM. There are radio's out there for 10 meters that are on the FCC list, but some where allowed in before the FCC banned them. I just sold a Uniden HR2600 which was bought at a major ham store before the ban. You can own and use one on 10 meters, but DO NOT use it on 11 meters if it has been modified, and again if you are a Tech, you can not use 10 meter FM.

10 meters is down right now but once the sunspots (maybe the government needs to bail them out also ;-), you can work the world on 25watts.

Oh upgrade to General and enjoy the fun on all the HF freq's

Kurt

KC4RAN
03-19-2009, 01:36 AM

That radio is on the FCC's ban list. Supporting places that sell these so-called 'export' radios is nothing more than helping the very same people that are 'freebanding' and invading the lower part of 10 meters without licenses.

K0HWY
03-19-2009, 05:26 AM
That radio is on the FCC's ban list.

It's also, IMHO, a rip-off considering the specs.

KC4RAN
03-19-2009, 05:30 AM
It's also, IMHO, a rip-off considering the specs.
I wasn't going to bring up the technical aspects, but you're exactly right.

No one yet has forwarded me a QST review of any RCI 10 meter radio. Or Galaxy. Or Magnum...

AI3V
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I'll second (seventh?:D) the idea that the 10/11M rigs are kinda pricy for what you get.

I have a Uniden hr2510 (25 watts cw,am,fm [No repeater split or pl],usb,lsb)

Bought it broken, and received a wilson k1000 mag-mount, paid $75 FRN, and had to repair the rig- cut pcb trace where the wrong mounting screw was used, and a busted rf gain pot.

So I have right at $100 in the set-up.

I see them selling for more than twice that amount, IMHO this is NOT a $200+ rig. The only reason for the premium is it a set desired by bootleggers.

If you want a Great project, Convert a standard 40 ch ssb set from a yardsale to 10M, All you need to buy is a xtal - 'bout $30 delivered

The various legit Cobra/Uniden CB rigs are OK for what they are, And converted to 10M make a great, Inexpensive rig that you don't have to worry about ""growing legs and wandering off" like you would with a $1000 HF rig in the car.

And converting a set is a GREAT way to hone your electonics skills.

Best site for free service diagrams is "cb Tricks.com"

Rege

N8YX
03-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Agreed with the above. I have $200 total into an HR2510 and an HR2600 combo...they were acquired years ago. For not a lot more than that you could get a decent TS130S, Astro 150 or similar multiband, 100w solid-state rig.

K0CMH
03-21-2009, 10:54 AM
The vast majority of contacts on 10 meters is either SSB or CW. There is very limited FM local coverage on 10 meters, and as stated before, one must be at least a General to use the FM functions on 10 meters.

KB4SOG
03-22-2009, 04:05 AM
I sold my HTX-10 at the Cave City hamfest a couple of weeks ago. Not a bad radio, just not what I was interested in (and 10m has been pretty dead). There were four of them there, mine was about the cleanest and it sold for $75. One just slightly less nice was offered for $50 before everyone headed home. Not a bad deal at all, if you want a single band radio.

NN4RH
03-22-2009, 08:37 PM
No one yet has forwarded me a QST review of any RCI 10 meter radio.

ARRL Review of RCI-2970DX 10/12-Meter Transceiver (http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr0110.pdf)

ARRL Review of RCI-2950 10-Meter Mobile Transceiver (http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr9202.pdf)

These were before they made the FCC ban list, obviously.

KC9OSX
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I have an older, unmodified galaxy saturn turbo (virtually the same as an RCI 2990), that is great on 10 meters. It's very stable, and I have gotten excellent reports with it. Some people don't even believe that's what I'm talking on, and not some higher end ham rig.

KC4RAN
03-27-2009, 06:16 PM
ARRL Review of RCI-2970DX 10/12-Meter Transceiver (http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr0110.pdf)

ARRL Review of RCI-2950 10-Meter Mobile Transceiver (http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr9202.pdf)

These were before they made the FCC ban list, obviously.
Wow, thanks for the links! Interesting reading...

2970 transmitter:
"One rather poor performance characteristic that does merit attention is the transmitter IMD performance on 10 meters, as depicted by Figure 6. The second-order IMD products are down only 21 dB."

2950 transmitter:
"On the transmit side, the RCI-2950's signal is positively terrible at the radio's rated output: It's third-order IMD products are down only 22 dB relative to its single-tone PEP output!"

They really tore up the 2950 in that review, in other sections. So back to the original topic, spending a few extra dollars on a real multiband HF radio will be money well spent.

ad: WarrenG-1