PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a FCC GROL license ?

LASSAR
02-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I got my FCC GROL license a few years ago.

I was wondering how many people here have a FCC GROL license.

KS4VT
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Yep I have it. Issued in 1996 and around the same time I did my Advanced as the question pools were very close.

AB8XA
02-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Nope. Since at 25 watts, our voluntarily equipped ship station power is well under the 1,000+ watts permitted by GROL, my wife and I each hold a lifetime Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (RR) for international travel/communications. From the FCC:

"RR holders are authorized to operate most aircraft and aeronautical ground stations. They can also operate marine radiotelephone stations aboard pleasure craft (other than those carrying more than six passengers for hire on the Great Lakes or bays or tidewaters or in the open sea) when operator licensing is required." We don't carry passengers for hire.

KJ3N
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Not I. Just an expired First Class Radiotelephone from around 1982.

KB3LIX
02-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Yep,

Started out as a First Phone back in early 1973, but
became a General in 1985 or so because of deregulation.

N3RCC
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
I have a restricted radiotelephone but plan to sit for the GROL in a month or two.

WA9UAA
02-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Yes, It used to be a 2nd Class Radiotelephone License with a RADAR endorsement.
Rob WA9UAA

AC0HO
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I was issued a GROL about 1980 when I went in to renew my First Phone license. Not nearly as impressive looking.

Ken - AC0HO (K3DNO long ago)

W0LPQ
02-25-2009, 02:44 PM
First Phone 1965 at the Tampa Field Office.
GROL downgraded January 1982.

N5CE
02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes, got FCC First Class Radiotelephone License in 1969 - since converted to GROL when the licensing structure changed.

WJ5O
02-25-2009, 03:18 PM
My 2nd class two-way ticket was changed to GROL in January 1985..... I think it must have been a "cost cutting" thing....... one certificate issued and good for life....... I think that this cheapened the entire licensing structure. :(

W5HTW
02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Yup. Had it since the days when it was five year renewable. Actually was licensed long before the GROL came into being, as it was a combination of the 2nd and 1st.

It isn't worth much. Mine is good for life. Not sure good for what, but at least it's stuck in a file cabinet with other important papers.

NL7W
02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
GROL w/ RADAR endorsement at age 22 in 1989. It's good wallet stuffing now.

Would it buy you a cup of coffee these days... not hardly. It does make a good coaster, though.

KS4VT
02-25-2009, 04:01 PM
It does make a good coaster, though.

Especially if it's laminated. ;-)

K9STH
02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
First Phone examination taken at the Chicago FCC office in August 1962. Downgraded to GROL in the early 1980s.

Glen, K9STH

KF4WER
02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes, originally a First Phone, issued in 1963.

KL7AJ
02-25-2009, 05:46 PM

I am currently teaching the GROL course and Radar endorsement at our community college.

I had a 1st phone for about 20 years, which the FCC in their profound wisdom demoted to a General. :( I also have a 2nd class radiotelegraph license. I also have an expired Aircraft radiotelegraph license, which is no longer given. Alas.

Eric

WA7KKP
02-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Started with a First Class Radiotelephone in 1970, became a GROL in 1985.

Used to be the "ticket" to a broadcasting job -- now they can (and do) hire any wizz kid off the street.

For those of you who are planning to take the test --

if you want a good challenge and nothing else but a piece of paper on the wall, go right ahead. If you think this means any more, forgetabotit.

Gary WA7KKP

$2 and a GROL won't buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

KL7AJ
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Started with a First Class Radiotelephone in 1970, became a GROL in 1985.

Used to be the "ticket" to a broadcasting job -- now they can (and do) hire any wizz kid off the street.

For those of you who are planning to take the test --

if you want a good challenge and nothing else but a piece of paper on the wall, go right ahead. If you think this means any more, forgetabotit.

Gary WA7KKP

$2 and a GROL won't buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Though the FCC no longer requires it for most radio jobs, a lot of employers still do. Alascom, the main phone company up here requires a ticket, as do a few cell phone companies, and certain positions on our contract. Avionics companies almost all still require a GROL, and some a radar endorsement.

Regardless of legal requirements, it's still a good filter.

eric

WR5AW
02-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Do you have a FCC GROL license ?

No, but I've considered getting one just to irritate certain people. :D

K7JEM
02-26-2009, 05:51 AM
I don't know why so many here talk about a "downgrade" to a GROL. It was just a name change and combination of two licenses. The second class may have received an "upgrade", but I'm not sure First Phone received a downgrade.

Joe

W2BLC
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
First Class in 1975 and worked at several AM stations. Later downgraded to GROL.

Another case of the government lowering the standards.:mad:

AG3Y
02-26-2009, 02:28 PM
One of the biggest mistakes the F.C.C. has done. Deregulating the entire RF industry !

I worked and sweat through two testing sessions about a year apart before I graduated from my 2nd Phone to my 1st back in 1967. Now I have a "Lifetime General Radiotelephone " license, and I am not even sure if the F.C.C. even recognizes it any more. Good thing I am retired, and out of that rat-race!

73, Jim

AC0OB
03-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Yes, I received the First Class with Radar Endorsement before it was converted to a GROL, right after I graduated from HS.

I actually used it at a communications company fixing Business Band Mobiles, and Maritime Radar for inland tugboats.

Later, I used it when I had my own AM/FM broadcasting service co.

W5HTW
03-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Though the FCC no longer requires it for most radio jobs, a lot of employers still do. Alascom, the main phone company up here requires a ticket, as do a few cell phone companies, and certain positions on our contract. Avionics companies almost all still require a GROL, and some a radar endorsement.

eric

You went and gone and dun and did it -- used that word "filter." Don't you know that word is a big no-no in anything relating to The New Amateur Radio?

ed

K7JEM
03-01-2009, 05:35 AM
You went and gone and dun and did it -- used that word "filter." Don't you know that word is a big no-no in anything relating to The New Amateur Radio?

ed

Not talking about HR here, it's a commercial license. Nothing wrong with filters, as long as they are actually filtering something necessary.

Joe

N3EF
03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
It's still required for marine radio/radar transmitter service so as a marine electronics technician I have the GROL as well as GMDSS radio operator/maintainer with radar endorsement.

Eric N3EF

K8JD
03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I got the 2nd fone license right after high school as a entry into Broadcast Radio work and a few months later got the 1st with the radar endorsement.
The last renewal was in the 80's I think and after that I got the permanent General Radiotelefone certificate sent from the FCC to repalce it .

Last year I had to make arrangements for the crew of Technicians I work with to take the exam for Recertification for wireless communications and Mortorola's own tech endorsement.
It Was an all day exam with several separate elements./ I squeeked by with 92 % correct answers.
Seems like the old FCC licenses are useless and obsolete for modern radio work.
I wonder if K9STH and AG3Y and some others on this reflector have gone thru the CET exams ?

AD5MB
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Stumbled across a GROL test on the internet while a Technician. Got 47%. Learned that half the questions are on the Extra test. Did both.

Now I can operate the radios on any ocean going vessel in landlocked NM. Lowest elevation in NM: 2000 feet AMSL.

wheee....

AB8XA
03-01-2009, 04:07 PM

With published question pools (http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=question_pools) and no 20 wpm copy AND SEND Morse Code requirement, there's no way it can be a "filter." :)

AG3Y
03-01-2009, 04:45 PM
"I wonder if K9STH and AG3Y and some others on this reflector have gone thru the CET exams ? "

First of all, I feel highly honored to be grouped together with K9STH by you. It is an honor I do not deserve. But Thanks !

To answer your question, before being transferred to the R&D labs at my last job, I spent some time servicing aeronautical radio-telephones for a subsidiary of the same company. Apparently, the air industry has even stricter rules than the FCC itself! Even though I had my lifetime General license, I had to have my work signed off by my boss. I have no idea what level his license was supposed to be. It was a rather deflating experience!

No, I have not taken any tests since retiring from the rat-race. I had a very rewarding career with my 1st and Lifetime Phone licenses, and am quite content now to "play radio" at my own pace, with no pressure on me to "make it work! ! !"

I feel sorry for those who are involved in the current situation this country and world are facing, but I am terribly relieved that I am on the far fringes of it!

73, Jim

K4UUG
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM

I AM RETIRED! HAM RADIO IS A HOBBY! AND WHY WOULD I NEED A GROL LICENNSE ? :confused:

K7KBN
03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
First 'Phone and First Telegraph, both from 1966. Now GROL.

WB2UAQ
03-01-2009, 05:25 PM
1st commercial in early 70's. Landed two jobs (at times in my life when I really needed to get back to work !) over the years with the help of licenses. I say license(s) because the amateur radio ticket showed a deeper personal connection to radio compared to others. In one case (police radio job) having just left the airforce, being only 25 and clean-cut compared to the hairy bunch in line for the interview I am sure had an influence as well:)
73, Pete

K9STH
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM
JD:

When I was with Motorola, "eons ago", I helped write some of the various tests that they used.

Also, I sat for and passed the BICSI RCDD examination which has an average pass rate of between 25 and 30 percent. There is no published "pool" of questions for this examination. In addition, I have NABER certification.

Glen, K9STH

N2RJ
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM

eric

I've always wanted to get a GROL, especially since you can memorize the pool and get it. :D

WU8Y
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM

ed

Because, of course, the most important thing is to keep people OUT of the hobby.

WB4OLD
03-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Licensed 1976, down graded in 1983 I think.

WB4OLD
03-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Because, of course, the most important thing is to keep people OUT of the hobby.

not everyone :cool:

N2RJ
03-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Not really. The important thing IMO is quality, not quantity. if the band is full of CW pileups with people who can't understand that that the DX is calling them, wouldn't you want those people out of the hobby?

W9VER
03-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Not really. The important thing IMO is quality, not quantity. if the band is full of CW pileups with people who can't understand that that the DX is calling them, wouldn't you want those people out of the hobby?

*if* the band was full of CW pileups, the SSB/AM stations would be outraged!:)

KA0GKT
03-02-2009, 03:25 AM

Grumble, grumble grouse grouse...

Yeah, I've got one stashed away in a file drawer someplace. My First Phone magically became one a couple of decades back...next-to-worthless piece of paper, that GROL. My First Phone with "Canceled" stamped across the face is worth far more...

Grunble, grunble, grouse grouse...

KA0GKT
03-02-2009, 03:31 AM
I don't know why so many here talk about a "downgrade" to a GROL. It was just a name change and combination of two licenses. The second class may have received an "upgrade", but I'm not sure First Phone received a downgrade.

Joe

Hmmmmmm...must have never taken the test for the first phone...

OBTW, the GROL has the following words printed upon it "Not Valid for Broadcast"

This is what I got for a first phone with broadcast and radar endorsments.

BAH!

W4CBJ
03-02-2009, 04:55 AM
The answer is yes. I took my Advanced Class and 2nd Class commercial on the same day at the FCC office in Atlanta GA. I received the GROL on June 20, 1984. Came in handy when I worked as an avionics technician at Wysong Avionics, Lancaster County Airport, SC. Later at Aviation Electronics, Bedford Airport, Hanscom Field, MA.
I have both the Amateur Extra and the GROL mounted in the same frame on my living room wall. I wonder if this is legal ? 73 Joe W4CBJ

K7JEM
03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Hmmmmmm...must have never taken the test for the first phone...

OBTW, the GROL has the following words printed upon it "Not Valid for Broadcast"

This is what I got for a first phone with broadcast and radar endorsments.

BAH!

Actually, I did take the First Phone, along with the Second phone and third phone all on the same day, Jan 18, 1978 at the Phoenix YMCA. I don't see those words printed on my latest copy GROL, but then again you don't need any license to do broadcast or two way work any more. Not sure there was ever a "Broadcast Endorsement" for a First Phone, either. That seemed to be something you could get on a third class license.

Yeah, I've got one stashed away in a file drawer someplace. My First Phone magically became one a couple of decades back...next-to-worthless piece of paper, that GROL. My First Phone with "Canceled" stamped across the face is worth far more...

Maybe to you in some weird sentimental way, but a canceled First class license has no value, whatsoever. A GROL is still useful, since it is required for maint of certain types of radio transmitters, and is still required for job applicants at many two way repair organizations. A canceled license is just a pretty piece of paper.

Joe

AG3Y
03-02-2009, 03:37 PM
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5HTW View Post

ed

Because, of course, the most important thing is to keep people OUT of the hobby. "

All this talk about keeping people OUT of the hobby is very bothersome to me. As has been clearly stated, the GROL license has NOTHING to do with the Amateur Radio Service, so why that issue should come up in this thread is a total mystery to me!

Of course, some people have very serious issues ! :( :mad:

KJ3N
03-03-2009, 03:12 AM
Because, of course, the most important thing is to keep people OUT of the hobby.not everyone :cool:

Just those who don't "beep"? :rolleyes:

KJ3N
03-03-2009, 03:21 AM
... if the band is full of CW pileups with people who can't understand that that the DX is calling them, wouldn't you want those people out of the hobby?

So, let me get this straight....

If I (for what reason I can't fathom) were to tune to a CW pile-up and couldn't understand one single "beep" going on (and I wouldn't because I don't know, work, or normally listen to a CW pile-up), you want me out of the hobby? Or is it just that I don't do CW at all, that merits me banishment?

I'm glad you don't make the rules.... :rolleyes:

KJ3N
03-03-2009, 03:26 AM
All this talk about keeping people OUT of the hobby is very bothersome to me. As has been clearly stated, the GROL license has NOTHING to do with the Amateur Radio Service, so why that issue should come up in this thread is a total mystery to me!

Oh, come now, Jim. I think you're being just a bit disingenuous.

You know as well as I, that there's always a set of people here on the Zed that will take every opportunity to slip in another swipe at others that they feel aren't "worthy" enough to be in this hobby. For some it's almost like a reflex action.

W4AUV
03-12-2009, 04:20 AM
Yes I have a GROL with the RADAR endorsement. I recently did this. It was a nice review exercise, since I took my Extra exam in 1978.

73...dale

WF7A
03-12-2009, 04:51 AM
Got my GROL (with the Radar endorsement) just after it became available back in 1985; I was required to have it in order to graduate with an AAS degree in Digital Avionics Technology. I haven't had a need to use it per se, but hey--it looks good on a résumé. :D

W4AUV
03-21-2009, 02:15 PM
I do not understand why I see so many posts here regarding the lack of value in having the GROL ticket. I understand that it is not a requirement any more in the broadcast industry. However, if you look at qualification requirements for different positions in radio, TV and government jobs the GROL is frequenty listed as a "this or that" qualification.

If you are looking for jobs maintaining avionics, marine 2-way radio, or RADAR, You MUST have this ticket. Period. For RADAR you need the RADAR endorsement on the ticket. You can't even change a fuse without it!

Here is a job posting I found doing a Google search:

Washoe County, Nevada
CLASS SPECIFICATION
Class Code: 15701
FLSA: non-exempt
RADIO NETWORK ENGINEER II
DEFINITION
Under general supervision, installs, maintains, and repairs the Washoe County Regional Communication System (WCRCS) radio network and equipment; and performs related work as required.

EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Three years of full-time experience performing installation, maintenance, repair, and service work of an 800 MHz trunked radio systems/equipment or an equivalent trunked two way radio systems/equipment; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.

LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of a valid driver's license is required at the time of appointment.
FCC General Radio Operators License (GROL) required prior to appointment.

BTW if you are still hung up on the "coffee" thing, make mine Starbucks! :)

73...W4AUV

AA5TE
03-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I've got one with a radar endorsement. I tested for and obtained it when I was getting out of the Navy back in 1997.

K9CN
03-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Grumble, grumble grouse grouse...

Grunble, grunble, grouse grouse...

How true! My First Phone issued in 1971 is up on the wall of my office as a reminder of my youth and something I was genuinely proud of.

While I am sure my subsequently issued GROL is around here somewhere (I wouldn't consciously toss it out), I really have no idea exactly where.

K8JD
03-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Not I. Just an expired First Class Radiotelephone (from around 1982.

When I tried to renew my latest 1st fone license (originally issued in 1964 with Radar Endorsement) they sent me the lifetime General Purpose radiotelefone instead.:eek:

K8JD
03-21-2009, 05:24 PM
So, let me get this straight....

If I (for what reason I can't fathom) were to tune to a CW pile-up and couldn't understand one single "beep" going on (and I wouldn't because I don't know, work, or normally listen to a CW pile-up), you want me out of the hobby? Or is it just that I don't do CW at all, that merits me banishment?

I'm glad you don't make the rules.... :rolleyes:

Not really OUT just up on VHF/UHF where you are less likely to cause international embarassment .:rolleyes:

KU5Q
03-21-2009, 06:01 PM
FCC GROL PG00020896, DB - GMDSS Radio Operator/Maintainer License DB00000480, & FAA Airframe & Powerplant 460232284 w/IA.

All were required as a condition of employment.

KJ4JON
03-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Marine Radio Operator Permit.

The MROP exam is element 1. The General license requires exam elements 1 and 3.

If I were to operate equipment of more than 1500 watts (compulsory equipped) or greater than 1000 watts for a voluntarily equipped vessel, I would be required to have a General, but that will likely never be the case.

An MROP is also required to install radiotelegraphy equipment aboard a vessel.

John

WA2ZDY
03-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I I also have a 2nd class radiotelegraph license. I also have an expired Aircraft radiotelegraph license, which is no longer given.

The aircraft tadiotelegraph was an endorsement on the commercial ticket. I got my second class telegraph with radar and aircraft telegraph endorsements at the FCC office in New York City the day after I'd passed my Extra in the same office.

It was November 1977 and I'd turned 16 the month before. And no, I never had a commercial phone ticket.

K4UUG
03-22-2009, 12:25 AM

:rolleyes:
NO! WHY ? WILL THE GROL MAKE ME SPECIAL ? WHATS THE GROL HAVE TO DO WITH AMATEUR RADIO? :confused:

N4SQ
03-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Yes, to go with my FAA Airframe and Powerplant certificate.

KB0YYO
03-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator permit. It is good for my lifetime unless cancled or revoked.
It is FCC form 753B may 1965.

It was issued to me on 6-19-70.
It is wallet sized card. Looking pretty worn by now

It has been many years ago, today I do not know why I got it .
What good is it today?

Boy do we aquire a lot of stuff in our lifetime. After the fact we find most of it is usless.

ND5Y
03-22-2009, 09:43 PM
I got the GROL/Ship Radar about 10 years ago because the place where I worked said they might pay me more if I had a certification. They didn't.

WX7G
03-22-2009, 11:48 PM
I have a GROL that was issued as a first class radio telephone license in 1980. I also have a 2nd class radiotelegraph, a GMDSS operator, and a GMDSS maintainer.

W4AUV
01-29-2010, 08:08 PM
I have the GROL with RADAR endorsement...W4AUV:)

AC0FP
01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I have the GROL with RADAR endorsement...W4AUV:)

Me too, did the piece of paper ever do anything to enhance your employment opportunities?

fp

AL7N
01-30-2010, 01:44 AM
I had a First Class Radiotelephone ticket, on renewal 8/10/1984 it was reissued as a GROL...PG-23-1142 Non Expiring.

Still keep my current

First Class Radiotelegraph Certificate T1GB022636 Exp 4/23/2011

Will renew that as long as FCC will let me.

W8NSI
01-30-2010, 02:31 AM

I got mine, originally a Second Class with Ship Radar Endorsement (P2-19-25006) back in 1978 when I was working on AT&T Long Lines microwave relay equipment(TD2 & TD3, TL/TM local hop microwave to the TV broadcasters, and finally AT&T and Collins Digital Microwave) before it all joined the buggy whip on the technology scrap heap. My license was changed to a General Class license in January, 1985 (PG19-10385) with an expiration date in 1988. Thereafter it became a lifetime license, no expiration. It became a useless piece of paper at AT&T when long distance shifted away from microwave to fiber optic cable. I still have it as a piece of framed wallpaper here.

WA2SCB
01-30-2010, 03:07 AM
I have a GROL with Radar Endorsement and GMDSS Operator/Maintainer. I never used them for employment opportunities. Never used my FAA Commercial Certificate with Instrument rating for anything either. Oh well.

WA7PRC
01-30-2010, 07:57 AM
I passed the 2nd Class Radiotelephone Operator test in the mid 70s, just out of high school. I worked in FM b'cast a couple of years (2nd banana) and then General Telephone six years. At GTE, I maintained/repaired IMTS (mobile telephone) VHF & UHF base stations and analog FDM (2 & 6 GHz) & digital 8-phase 90Mb/s m-wave (11 GHz) radio terminals & mux equipment. Between all of that, there were lots of interesting moments. I never went after the 1st 'phone. FCC grandfathered me to GROL upon the last renewal.
Bryan WA7PRC

N0NB
01-30-2010, 02:00 PM
In my case it was required as a condition of employment. When I hired on ('91) a person needed it to even get an interview so I obtained it while in tech school In KCMO. It was the only time I was to an FCC office and it was a pleasant experience considering I passed on the first try.

New hires have one year to get the GROL after bidding into an ET job unless they already have it. An Associates degree is also required.

Along the way the company saw to it that I am A+ certified (also lifetime) and BICSI Technician certified (renewed every three years with proof of CEC requirements passed). In a way it does seem silly that the GROL is a lifetime license. There is no way that I should be qualified to step onto a ship even though I've had the GROL for almost 20 years without a re-examination of my knowledge. But the FCC stated in at the time that it expected industry to ensure that its technicians and engineers were qualified to maintain the equipment.

KK5VL
01-30-2010, 04:09 PM
:cool: Yep , got it years ago when there was no question pool. I work in the Marine electronics industry and remember when the FCC guys would come out once a year to inspect US flagged ships radio equipment and we radio techs had to be present to demonstrate all the gear was working properly.
Boy those days are gone.........We issue the paper work now. I have been around the planet two and a half times inspecting US flag ships doing this. My last trip was to Isreal just to do an inspection and issue paperwork. It has been my meal ticket for a lot of years.

KC2JRS
01-31-2010, 03:22 PM
GMDSS Operators license

AE5KA
01-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Wannabe. Since at some point I expect to be at least part-time liveaboard my sailboat, I would like to be able to "legally" help others with their shipboard SSB installations. I know for practical purposes that isn't really an issue, but it would help with credibility to be able to point to the proper license to go along with it.

My problem is finding someone to administer the GROL exams where I live at present. Just a year ago there were several in the area to choose from. Now for some reason they have all opted out.

K4LSX
01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Yes, got it in the 50s while in high school, along with my General.

For a long time it has served only as only "another frame on the wall". I am glad I did it. It did get me a couple of good jobs between high school and college repairing commercial VHF FM gear. I even got to drive the VW 'bus' onto a SAC base to repair/maintain the radios in the crash crew trucks.

Back then, with the ham license manual and the red Radio Operator's Q & A Manual you really learned some stuff before you passed an exam.

The knowledge gained from that license study and experience, along with my ham radio experiences paid off 'big time' in the Navy, as I was able to advance quite rapidly in avionics and radio comm. without need of attending any Navy schools. Thank God for that, the schools were in Memphis! :eek:

I look at it with some pride, and it reminds me of some truly great life experiences. :D

WA7KKP
01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Got my First Radiotelephone ticket back then in 1970, all 190 questions in one sitting. Renewed it every 5 years until 1985, when everyone with a first or second class ticket got the lifetime GROL. A few years later, you didn't even need that to work on broadcast transmitters, or two-way . . . DEREGULATION.

What did it get us? Electronics whizz kids who work for peanuts, until they find a good paying job elsewhere. Just what the NAB wanted all along.

Nice cheap looking piece of paper. This and $3 will get you a double decaf latte just about anywhere.

Gary WA7KKP

K4LSX
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Got my First Radiotelephone ticket back then in 1970, all 190 questions in one sitting. Renewed it every 5 years until 1985, when everyone with a first or second class ticket got the lifetime GROL. A few years later, you didn't even need that to work on broadcast transmitters, or two-way . . . DEREGULATION.

What did it get us? Electronics whizz kids who work for peanuts, until they find a good paying job elsewhere. Just what the NAB wanted all along.

Nice cheap looking piece of paper. This and $3 will get you a double decaf latte just about anywhere.

Gary WA7KKP

Deregulation = Dumbing Down

Q.E.D. :(

AA4HA
02-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I was in the same boat, First Class with Radar Endorsement. Then NAB got involved in it and I just let it go out of disgust.

It was a good skills-builder, at the time I was doing post-grad classes on receiver design and antenna systems. It did contribute to my understanding of the black magic.

WP4BHT
02-19-2010, 07:09 PM
YES, I GOT THEM...:D

Nework+ Certified Professional
A+ Information Technology Technician
CETa (Certified Electronics Technician Associate)
FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License with Radar Endorsement (GROL)

ad: elecraft