PDA

View Full Version : LOTW question

KE3FG
02-09-2009, 04:24 PM
I want to get started using LOTW. I read that in order to submit logs, they need to be in ADIF format. I used PDOXWIN for my logging, which can export comma-delimited text data. Is there a program that will import comma-delimited text data and output a file in the ADIF format?
A URL would be appreciated.
Thanks & 73,
Jim, KE3FG

DJ1YFK
02-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I want to get started using LOTW. I read that in order to submit logs, they need to be in ADIF format. I used PDOXWIN for my logging, which can export comma-delimited text data. Is there a program that will import comma-delimited text data and output a file in the ADIF format?
A URL would be appreciated.
Thanks & 73,
Jim, KE3FG

There are some ways to convert CSV data via Excel/OpenOffice Calc etc. to ADIF: http://www.storm.ca/~ve3iay/spreadsh.html

Another possibility would be writing a twoliner in a scripting language like Perl, PHP or awk.

If you can give an example of how one single record looks, I'd gladly provide help with the latter possibility. Since LOTW only needs very basic data (callsign of the station, date, time, band; no reports and other things which may be troublesome to convert) it's quite easy and "conversion losses" should be minimal.

73, Fabian

KE3FG
02-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Vielen Dank, Fabian,
Here is an example of one QSO that was exported from my database.
First column is Country, second is State (-- for non-USA), Third is Callsign, Fourth is Name, Fifth is Date, Sixth is UTC, Seventh is Frequency, Eighth is QSL sent, Ninth is QSL received (both columns in example are blank) and the Tenth column is Mode:
"PORTUGAL","--","CT1HZU","PEDRO",2/6/2009,30,7.032,,,"CW"
I expect I will have to do some editing of data not needed, such as QSL info. I can import the CSV data into excel and delete the columns there.
Must 'USB' be changed to 'SSB'?
Jim, KE3FG

DJ1YFK
02-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Vielen Dank, Fabian,
Here is an example of one QSO that was exported from my database.
First column is Country, second is State (-- for non-USA), Third is Callsign, Fourth is Name, Fifth is Date, Sixth is UTC, Seventh is Frequency, Eighth is QSL sent, Ninth is QSL received (both columns in example are blank) and the Tenth column is Mode:
"PORTUGAL","--","CT1HZU","PEDRO",2/6/2009,30,7.032,,,"CW"
I expect I will have to do some editing of data not needed, such as QSL info. I can import the CSV data into excel and delete the columns there.
Must 'USB' be changed to 'SSB'?

I happened to have almost everything for this problem from a previous log conversion problem. Try this:
http://dl0tud.tu-dresden.de/~dj1yfk/3fg.html

After uploading a log, it returns an ADIF file with the minimum data needed for LOTW (Call, Date, Time, Band, Mode). it currently assumes the Date format is D/M/Y. If it's M/D/Y, let me know, that can be changed in a second. The UTC column says "30" in that example; did I assume correctly that leading zeros are trimmed and that would be 0030? (That's how my script handles it at the moment.) It changes LSB or USB to SSB automatically.

hw? [Not tested much, obviously, I am sure you'll find a bug :]

73, Fabian

W0IS
02-09-2009, 06:35 PM
A free program called ASC2ADIF will do exactly what you want:

http://kh2d.net/software/

You simply need to save the comma-delimited file with the filename "LOG.ASC". When you run the program, it will create a file named "LOG.ADI".

It's not the most glitzy program around, but it does exactly what you want, and it's free. Due to Y2K issues, it will stop working in 2049, so the author points out that you're on your own after that.

KE3FG
02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
After uploading a log, it returns an ADIF file with the minimum data needed for LOTW (Call, Date, Time, Band, Mode). it currently assumes the Date format is D/M/Y. If it's M/D/Y, let me know, that can be changed in a second. The UTC column says "30" in that example; did I assume correctly that leading zeros are trimmed and that would be 0030? (That's how my script handles it at the moment.) It changes LSB or USB to SSB automatically.

Fabian,
I tried the conversion program and, looking at the file contents, it appears that the data is OK. I guess the test is loading the converted file up to LOTW and see if the data is accepted as OK. Thanks.

I haven't tried this program yet. I will probably try it soon. Thanks.
Jim, KE3FG

DJ1YFK
02-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Fabian,
I tried the conversion program and, looking at the file contents, it appears that the data is OK. I guess the test is loading the converted file up to LOTW and see if the data is accepted as OK. Thanks.

Actually, month and day were reversed. Fixed that now. :)

73, Fabian

KE3FG
02-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Fabian,
I converted a short file and tried to upload it to LOTW, but this is what displayed:
784939.tq8 does not appear to be a TrustedQSL file! Processing aborted
Something must be missing in the file. Here is the first part of the file:
Converted from C:\Jfolders\Ham\LOTW\QSO2009.TXT to ADIF
<eoh>
<call:5>K7AYP <qso_date:8>20090101 <time_on:4>2110 <freq:6>14.035 <mode:2>CW <eor>
Do you spot anything abnormal in these lines?
BTW, I renamed the file to the extension .TQ8
Thanks,
Jim, KE3FG

W0IS
02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
BTW, I renamed the file to the extension .TQ8

I think that's your problem. It's a two-step process. First, you have to create an ADIF file. It sounds like that's taken care of. Then, you have to "sign" ADIF file, which will create a brand new file, with the same name, but with the .tq8 extension. You cannot merely rename the .adi file.

You need to open the "Trusted QSL" software. One of the options is to "sign existing ADIF or Cabrillo file". Select that option and follow the instructions. When you are finished, you will have a .tq8 file which can be uploaded.

KE3FG
02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
I think that's your problem. It's a two-step process. First, you have to create an ADIF file. It sounds like that's taken care of. Then, you have to "sign" ADIF file, which will create a brand new file, with the same name, but with the .tq8 extension. You cannot merely rename the .adi file.

Thanks, w0is.
It appears to have uploaded OK. This is the message I got when I uploaded the file:

File C:\Jfolders\Ham\LOTW\784939.tq8 queued for processing.

Had I known that it was going to be such a PITA to use LOTW, I doubt if I would have bothered trying it. I don't understand the need for such BS.
Jim, KE3FG

W0IS
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Once you have it figured out, it's not particularly difficult. Since I don't use any computer logging program, I also have to jump through the same hoops as you--put it in a spreadsheet, save it as a .csv, convert the .csv to .adi, and then convert the .adi to .tq8. It really doesn't take long. And for people with normal logging programs, the converstion to .tq8 doesn't add much time.

LOTW isn't particularly difficult. My gripe with it is that the instructions make it sound a lot worse than it is.

On behalf of those working on awards such as WAS, we really do appreciate your taking the time to jump through these hoops. Your QSO could very well be the #50 that someone needs.

KE3FG
02-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Well, I checked the QSO list that I uploaded and it says:

You have 3,184 QSO records
Does that mean that 3,184 QSOs matched what others have uploaded to LOTW? What does the QSL column represent? Is it for cards other HAMs have claimed that they sent me, or does it mean something else?
Thanks,
Jim, KE3FG

W9FXC
02-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Well, I checked the QSO list that I uploaded and it says:

Does that mean that 3,184 QSOs matched what others have uploaded to LOTW? What does the QSL column represent? Is it for cards other HAMs have claimed that they sent me, or does it mean something else?
Thanks,
Jim, KE3FG

QSO's are records that you have uploaded. QSL's are matches between your records and the other parties. Thus, only QSL's count for awards and such.

KC8PPD
02-10-2009, 02:58 AM

http://kh2d.net/software/

You simply need to save the comma-delimited file with the filename "LOG.ASC". When you run the program, it will create a file named "LOG.ADI".

It's not the most glitzy program around, but it does exactly what you want, and it's free. Due to Y2K issues, it will stop working in 2049, so the author points out that you're on your own after that.

Aside from Y2K problem, I think this program has more problems. It doesn't generate the QSO time. LOTW requires you to be within 30 minutes of each other's clock to become a confirmed contact.

I still gotta go back to LOTW and re-upload my qso's because all of the time stamps are 00:00:00 z. (I hope LOTW will let me re-upload since I can't delete. Sigh....)

AB8XE
02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
It will overwrite or append your existing qso's.

W0IS
02-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Aside from Y2K problem, I think this program has more problems. It doesn't generate the QSO time. LOTW requires you to be within 30 minutes of each other's clock to become a confirmed contact.

I still gotta go back to LOTW and re-upload my qso's because all of the time stamps are 00:00:00 z. (I hope LOTW will let me re-upload since I can't delete. Sigh....)

It always works fine for me. I put the log data into a spreadsheet program, save it as a .csv, rename the file LOG.ASC, and then run it through the program.

I'm guessing that you put the time in the wrong column. It's an easy mistake to make, because so many of the ADIF fields are unused. If you want, I can e-mail you one of the logs that I generated with this very program, and you can confirm the correct column.

The number of digits in the time column is not critical. So if the time is there as "3" that will be considered "0003", and "425" will be "0425", etc. So I'm guessing that if you accidentally left a field blank, that would be interpreted as 0000. In the meantime, you probably put the time in the field with the operator's name or something, which is ignored by LOTW.

You just need to re-upload the contacts. I have a bunch of them with the wrong day, wrong year, etc. In LOTW parlance, these are known as "zombies". You can't un-upload them, just as you can not recall a QSL card that you accidentally mailed out with the wrong year printed on it.

W0IS
02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
It will overwrite or append your existing qso's.

No, if he uploaded a contact saying that he worked W0IS at 0000z, that "zombie" will stay there forever. If he later uploads saying that he worked me at 0400z, LOTW has no way of knowing that this is a correction of the earlier record. So he will permanently have two records there.

But since I have no way of knowing that he accidentally uploaded the other contact, I will not upload that contact, and he won't get a match on the 0000z contact. If, by some strange coincidence, I make the same mistake, then we will get a match saying that we worked at 0000z.

ad: PortRo-1