PDA

View Full Version : Mag Mount Antenna Scratching.....

W9ETA
01-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Hi...just bought a new Honda Ridgeline which I need to mount 2 antenna's on.
Right now before I get some permanant mounts made,I would like to mount my tri-band antenna on the roof with a mag mount.
I am concerned about the mount scratching the paint on the roof.
Has anyone had any luck putting a mag mount on without scratching or dis-coloring the paint?
Maybe putting some clear celophane under it or something?
It's a black color so it does show scratches easily......

Thanks in advance! 73 Bob w9eta

KC2UGV
01-01-2009, 01:49 AM
I've god two mag mounts (11 M and 2M/440) and have not a scratch yet. If you are still a bit concerned, put a plastic bag under them and cut off the excess.

VO1GXG
01-01-2009, 01:53 AM
i have used a very thin peice of soft foam like that of a sponge to prevent scratching. Also you might try wazing the space where the mount is to be and place the mount there and not move it. Sould prevent scratching and any rings can easily be removed with car polish/wax

KA4DPO
01-01-2009, 01:58 AM
This has worked well for me in the past. Go to the drug store and get a package of Dr. Scholls Moleskin shoe insert material. It is very soft and has an adhesive backing. Set your magnet down on it and trace it out with a pen or pencil then cut it out with a pair of scissors, peel off the backing and stick it to the magnet. It will keep the magnet from scratching the paint and is thin enough to provide good magnetic adhesion to the car body.

VK2TIL
01-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I can recall two or three threads here in the last year or so on this subject; search something like "magmount" or "mag mount" and you should find a lot of good suggestions.

K7MH
01-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Man up and drill a hole.

N5TDA
01-01-2009, 03:23 AM
I have run a daul-band magmount on my Nissan Frontier for two years with no scratching of the paint. The main cause of scratching is sliding the antenna along the roof. Mine is stuck solidly in the center of the roof.

Good Luck

Rex

KB0YYO
01-01-2009, 05:16 AM
This has worked well for me in the past. Go to the drug store and get a package of Dr. Scholls Moleskin shoe insert material. It is very soft and has an adhesive backing. Set your magnet down on it and trace it out with a pen or pencil then cut it out with a pair of scissors, peel off the backing and stick it to the magnet. It will keep the magnet from scratching the paint and is thin enough to provide good magnetic adhesion to the car body.

Great idea. I will do that one and now I think I can get the better half to let me put a mag mount on her car now. Fear of scratching the paint has been the reason she says NO.
not anymore
Thanks for the idea.

NA4BH
01-01-2009, 05:23 AM
Man up and drill a hole.

:D :D :D :D

That is good !!!!

I use a cut piece of inner-tube on mine.

K7MH
01-01-2009, 06:05 AM
I wouldn't use anything between the magnet and the painted surface that would hold moisture. A magnet mount would only scratch the paint if it was being mover around from banging into things or it shuffling around maybe because of vibration. I have seen it discolor paint if left on for too long though. It makes a cloudy area where the magnet was. Maybe not always, and perhaps only with some kinds of magnets or paint. Hard to say.
I would put out the extra effort to get the antennas mounted whatever way you ultimately want them.

KE6KA
01-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Paint Protection Film

http://www.shop3m.com/70071373891.html?WT.z_xsell=1&WT.z_refSKU=75347018865

K7KBN
01-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Waxed paper.

GeorgeRaft
01-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Just get the suitable, permanent mounts installed and be done with it.

After wasting your time trying to get a "mag" mount not to scratch the paint, you will then have the feedline scratching, beating, and pounding the new car's finish...as will likely have water drippping in and of course mashing down and disfiguring the weather striping/seal/gasket.

Just do it right to begin with and be done with it.

K7MH
01-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Just get the suitable, permanent mounts installed and be done with it.

After wasting your time trying to get a "mag" mount not to scratch the paint, you will then have the feedline scratching, beating, and pounding the new car's finish...as will likely have water drippping in and of course mashing down and disfiguring the weather striping/seal/gasket.

Just do it right to begin with and be done with it.
Yeah, what he said!
And drill a hole or two.
Just do it!

W2FCP
01-01-2009, 05:34 PM
What about something like the 3m Invisible Bra film? Just cut out a square, apply it to your car and put the magmount on it. When it is time to sell the car remove the film.

http://www.cleardefender.com/clear-bra/bulk-film-3.php

K9GKL
01-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Have you or your wife thought of the liability of the damage done from a loose flying magnet mount in the event of a collision? No telling what the damage could be-avoid all that by drilling and mounting it properly. Plus, no tripping over loose coax, etc. A properly sealed hole will not affect the value at trade-in time.

KA4DPO
01-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Great idea. I will do that one and now I think I can get the better half to let me put a mag mount on her car now. Fear of scratching the paint has been the reason she says NO.
not anymore
Thanks for the idea.

No problem, I'm really anal about my cars and have always done this to avoid scratching the paint. As for drilling a hole in the truck? No way would I ever drill a hole in any of my vehicles unless it was a $500.00 junker.:D

K8MHZ
01-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Trace out the area the mag mount covers. Sand all the paint down to the metal and cover the bare metal with the mag mount.

Problem solved.

W9PSK
01-01-2009, 09:41 PM
I know someone who refuses to put a magmount antenna or drill a hole for a permanent mount. He's worried about what it will do to the value of his car. Keep in mind this is a full sized Grand Marquis. It will most likely have well over 100,000 miles on it before he finally gets rid of it, and he smokes like there is no tomorrow. When he gave me his reasoning behind not using a magmount or drilling a hole, my first reaction was, DUH????? Him smoking in the car will do more to devalue the car than mounting an antenna!

I say go all the way and drill the hole. You bought the truck to use it, right? Well, use the thing! It's a truck, not a look pretty sissymobile. What are you, a ham or a mouse? :D

K7MH
01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
No problem, I'm really anal about my cars and have always done this to avoid scratching the paint. As for drilling a hole in the truck? No way would I ever drill a hole in any of my vehicles unless it was a $500.00 junker.:D
Oh please. I mounted an NMO mount in the roof of my 2005 Silverado Z-71 about a month after I got it. The performance up there is quite a noticeable difference over anywhere else I have had one mounted.
But, to each his own method.
I gotta wonder what Honda was thinking when they elevated the bed rails up toward the cab on that thing. So much for reaching over the rails to put stuff in it and take stuff out of it. I guess it was a styling compromise. Kinda like the mid seventies El Camino but it was low enough to the ground that it wasn't a problem. Can you reach in there behind the cab all that well??

I know someone who refuses to put a magmount antenna or drill a hole for a permanent mount. He's worried about what it will do to the value of his car. Keep in mind this is a full sized Grand Marquis. It will most likely have well over 100,000 miles on it before he finally gets rid of it, and he smokes like there is no tomorrow. When he gave me his reasoning behind not using a magmount or drilling a hole, my first reaction was, DUH????? Him smoking in the car will do more to devalue the car than mounting an antenna!
Don't worry, on a trade in they are doing real well. When I traded my previous truck in they didn't care about any of that stuff. If it is more than a couple years old or too many miles, they just farm it out to some other "Uncle Bob's Used Car Lot and Massage Parlor" anyway.

GeorgeRaft
01-02-2009, 06:10 AM
Being afraid to drill a hole for a proper, permanent mount on "anything but a $500 junker" is just plain silly.

First off, the "junker" shouldn't be on the road in the first place...so it doesn't need any kind of antenna at all.

Moreso, ALL professional installers would never install anything other than a proper, permanent mount. It just isn't done or even considered.

Be it a police car, a fire truck, an ambulance, private fleet vehicle, helicopter, or airplane a PROPER, permanent mount is the only way to go. Besides knowing they would be just asking for big trouble from a liability stand point, as well as poor radio system performance and reliability, the "pros" all know it is just plain foolish to deviate from the industrie's proven standards.

KA4DPO
01-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Being afraid to drill a hole for a proper, permanent mount on "anything but a $500 junker" is just plain silly.

First off, the "junker" shouldn't be on the road in the first place...so it doesn't need any kind of antenna at all.

Moreso, ALL professional installers would never install anything other than a proper, permanent mount. It just isn't done or even considered.

Be it a police car, a fire truck, an ambulance, private fleet vehicle, helicopter, or airplane a PROPER, permanent mount is the only way to go. Besides knowing they would be just asking for big trouble from a liability stand point, as well as poor radio system performance and reliability, the "pros" all know it is just plain foolish to deviate from the industrie's proven standards.

By golly George you're right. Next time I have an ambulance or a fire truck I'll be sure and drill a big old hole squarely in the roof. Untill then I'll pass. Why on earth would anyone wan't to destroy the appearance of a nice new vehicle. And also, the guys who say it doesn't effect resale value are full of it. Unless it's ten years old with 150K on it then it probably doesn't matter since it's it's a junker anyway.

GeorgeRaft
01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
The installation of a proper, permanent mount does not effect an automobiles "appearance" at all. A proper mount looks like it belongs there.

What makes the "appearance" look just plain silly is funny looking "mag" mounts and wires running around the vehicle's exterior and running through window and door cracks. When people see such silly installations they think to themselves, "one of those cb nuts".

If proper, permanent hole mounts detracted from "appearance", the auto manufacturers would not use proper, permanent mounts for their factory installed broadcast radios/sound systems. Has anyone ever seen a new car on the showroom floor with a stylish and trendy "mag" mount and wires sticking out of the door jams ????

Trade-in value is never an issue with a proper mount at trade-in time. It is never even a consideration by any any dealer at any time or at any place.

Even if it were, and it is not, the car dealer either agrees to the buyer's best offer or he does not. The buyer can just go on down the road and get the trade-in deal that he finds acceptable.

ad: w5yi